Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 09-17-2008, 05:29 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

You guys are making me want one!! He'd probably eat my Hector's Goby though...he's pretty tiny.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:43 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

If it makes you feel any better, you can set up an empty aquarium with rock and some zoos and have the same experience I'm having right about now.

I'm hoping in time he'll get more comfortable and allow himself to be seen. Man they are not kidding when they say this eel is reclusive. I have to look for a minimum of 30 minutes at a time before I find where he's hiding. Basically in 5 days so far I've been able to see him maybe about 10-15 minutes in total, and that includes trying to dangle food in front of his hidey holes (when I can at least see his head or face) in the hopes of witnessing him at least eat something, but no such luck.

Dunno maybe this is commonplace for eels, never had one before. Not sure what I'm thinking of this purchase though right about now.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:54 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

A customer of mine has one in a nano and it is great. Eel comes out much more in a small tank with no other occupants. Once you see how cool it is to have one, most agree. I am thinking of adding one to my seahorse tank.

Not quite sure why, but the females seem to love these little guys....
Old 09-18-2008, 03:11 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

The females love them is the reason there wasn't a "huge kaboom" when I came home with him.

Mine is in a 20g and he's by himself, so that unfortunately doesn't always hold true. I wonder if they don't like flow, this tank has a Seio 820, so we are talking, what, 40times volume turnover..... could that be it? He does NOT come out of the rock for ANYthing.

Honestly? I don't think my story has a happy ending unless something changes all of a sudden.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:53 AM

andestang is on a distinguished road

Tony did you take a trip to Superstore or anywhere that carries fresh clams & oysters ? I hope he/she comes around, love to come by and see 'em.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:18 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Honestly? I don't think my story has a happy ending unless something changes all of a sudden.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:25 AM

SeaSerpant is on a distinguished road

your eel looks so cute Chaloupa.
I hope your eel starts eating soon Delphinus.

Thanks
SeaSerpant
Old 09-22-2008, 01:40 AM

Day 9 now - will he eat tonight?? Sigh, Tune in tomorrow to find out on "As the stomach turns", the Canreef soap opera.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:00 AM

SeaSerpant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Day 9 now - will he eat tonight?? Sigh, Tune in tomorrow to find out on "As the stomach turns", the Canreef soap opera.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:51 AM

Nope, another night of futile efforts to entice it.

Now I've tried krill, mysis, shrimp, prawn, clam (live from the supermarket), squid, octopus.

I'm desperate for suggestions here. What's left I can try? Live food? Should I try ghost shrimp? I've got 100's of baby Ameca spendens in my FW, they'd probably be about the right size, except that 1) ugh, I can't believe it would have to come to that, 2) they're endangered or extinct in the wild 3) they're hard to catch 4) no real guarantee the eel would eat it, so it will just die in the SW and add to the fouling of the water.

I'm about ready to throw the towel in and put it up for sale in case anyone else thinks they'd have a better chance of getting it to come around.

I'm getting so close to done forever with this hobby everytime I make a purchase like this and I end up regretting it. Words can't express the sheer frustration of late... a small victory was all I wanted, apparently it's completely out of the question. My reef tank karma is all used up I guess.