Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-18-2007, 03:17 AM

hawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Another reason to consider the HRV and suck that moisture laden air out of the house. Or get the pipes covered (ie. behind drywall) so that they're not exposed to humidity.
The pipes in the drop ceiling were covered by hardi-board as well as the fishroom being vapour barrier-ed and tight. When I first noticed the dripping I did take the board down to check things out but then put the plastic back-up. Didn't notice a difference either way. I think the humidity in the drop ceiling (which is partially open on the laundrey room side next to fishroom) is coming from the rest of the house and outside. But the heat is coming from the fishroom. I only notice the drips when it is hot/humid outside. Too bad about pex dripping too. I am considering hrv for better household air quality, but it can be 30c here with heavy rain so the humidity can get very high. That along with the basement staying cool (except fishroom) I don't know if the hrv is going to do much in my case. I would just be exchanging cool basement air for hot humid outdoor air. Could be wrong, I'll have to check into it further. The fishroom is 11'x9', I wonder if a cheap window ac just to cool the small room would solve the sweating pipes? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by hawk; 07-18-2007 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:39 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road
Default I was wrong

I never had a humidity problem before, but now since I added another 50 gal of open water and another 250 watt light 2 weeks ago, together with the heatwave we are having it has gotten really bad. I have now put fans in the basement windows to blow out as much of the wet air as I can, but yikes it is worse than I ever imagined. I think this thread put a curse on me.

Greg

Last edited by Snappy; 07-18-2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:53 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Doh! Sorry Greg!

Michika - I haven't noticed the pipes dripping in a long time. Mind you right now that it's summer I have the A/C on which might be having an effect.

Hawk, yeah I see what you mean, HRV only helps if the air you're replacing the inside air with, is less humid. Maybe an A/C would work better like you suggest?