Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-07-2015, 07:43 PM

Masonjames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
Oh, okay. Excuse me while I get back to my self promoting and not making any money by not selling sand. Incidentally, you'll find my ebook on amazon soon. Only $14.95. My personal success course should be ready for the spotlight shortly after that. Referral programs will be in place at launch. Live the life you want to live, get a barebottom reef.
But you should sell sand. Then, all the equipment to support that system, then all the chemicals and medias, dosing regimiments, etc etc. That's just good business. The rest of the industry plants it's backbone on maintaing a sewage treatment plant. Why shouldn't you. Lol
Old 02-07-2015, 07:59 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Old sand can be one cause of algae. To be fair, Albert never said, you can can't have a clean tank with sand. I took his post to be tongue in cheek anyways.

As I read the thread, I'm reminded of the Propositional Fallacy that I learned many years ago. I think it is was called Denying the Antecedent.

I did actually replace my 14 year old sand with new sand after years of battling hair algae and dinoflagellate with regular water changes, gravel vacuum, cleanup crew, algaecides, protein skimming, Chemiclean, etc. Nothing helped. Now, problem gone.

Last edited by Samw; 02-07-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera75 View Post
Last time I was at your store (Oceanic Corals) I noticed that there was a lot of hair algae in your tanks and if I remember correctly they are bare bottom
Cept it was just one tank. And I had just removed the sand. Strangely enough, two weeks later, algae is magically gone! Like magic! Oddly effective magic! Practical magic!

Edit: I get the impression that you don't like me very much and that you're belaboring the point for little good reason given that nothing I've said is factually incorrect. You can go over this with a fine tooth comb if you want broski

Last edited by albert_dao; 02-07-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Good Guy Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonjames View Post
But you should sell sand. Then, all the equipment to support that system, then all the chemicals and medias, dosing regimiments, etc etc. That's just good business. The rest of the industry plants it's backbone on maintaing a sewage treatment plant. Why shouldn't you. Lol
Cuz that's what bitches do. I'm not a bitch.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:07 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw View Post
I took his post to be tongue in cheek anyways.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...hlight=bronies

The guy posted his love for bronies. Whatevs!
Old 02-08-2015, 01:55 AM
Good Guy Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...hlight=bronies

The guy posted his love for bronies. Whatevs!
That was Tyler (spit.fire) living out his dream via my unattended account!!!!
Old 02-08-2015, 03:16 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
Never. Bare bottom tanks look ugly and unnatural. I like to feel like im looking at the bottom of the ocean when admiring my tank. I'l deal with the algae so I dont get lazy and keep up good maintenance
I totally agree. Even if covered with coraline or zoas, it just doesn't look natural.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:21 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
If it weren't for my wrasse I would (and had!).
My Flasher Wrasse sleeps at the base of the rocks. He builds himself a cocoon.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:15 AM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road

I like a sand bed and don't generally have a problem with them either....

I have a belief system though....

A sand bed is it's own ecosystem within the equarium. As such it needs it's own attention. I keep a sand star sand sifting goby and both Astra and nassarius snails plentiful if my system to turn the sand.... The key is turning the sand... And that combo does it... I don't aim power heads at it or anything....

I am currently running biopellets and Rowa so my nutrients are low... Which helps with keeping algae at bay, but before the biopellets with just Rowa I would from time to time get some algae that would start on the sand and with a water change I would just vacume it all up and out.... Wash the sand a dump it back in....

If you have a system with excess nutrients they will go somewhere..... Hopefully it's out with a water change.... Or they will find their own way to be 'productive' as in algae.

With all my tanks in the beginning with the blooms I run a few scoops of red slime remover with the skimmer off for a few days then skim it out... I find it really helps in the beginning.

It comes down to TWO things:
1- EXCESS nutrients - run a PO4 remover and biopellets.... Or more water changes
2- livestock NOT turning over your sand - go BUY the items I listed above.

Pick which your failing at and fix it....

I would wonder how much macros help.... I run a few types and chaeto is the best grower by far and home to some life. Maybe the macros just take the easy nutrients on the first pass and the leftovers get used by the pellets and Rowa.

I tried the 'no name' high capacity gfo and it did nothing!!! I measured the PO4 in the tank and the output from the reactor an hour later and it was the same - I now only use ROWA cause it works for me and I can measure the difference...
Old 02-08-2015, 04:51 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
My Flasher Wrasse sleeps at the base of the rocks. He builds himself a cocoon.
no such luck with leopards or melanurus tho. i tried making it work and couldn't bear to watch for more than a day.