Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
I wonder what the difference would be if you hooked up a full 1 1/4" line or even upped it to the 1 1/2" line. From my firefighting days there's a significant difference.
Could do that but then when it gets to the SCWD it would have to be reduced done to 1" anyways. The DC10000 comes with the barb fitting for 3 different hose sizes and doesnt except a pvc fitting on the outlet very well.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Well might have to invest in one of the new Reeflo models over the Wavelines. Might be a good idea anyways because I've heard of some leaking issues with these being hooked up externally.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
Well might have to invest in one of the new Reeflo models over the Wavelines. Might be a good idea anyways because I've heard of some leaking issues with these being hooked up externally.
I have one hooked up externally to my 165 gal tank now for about 6 month and never had a leak. I really like these pumps as they are super silent and reasonably priced.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
I have one hooked up externally to my 165 gal tank now for about 6 month and never had a leak. I really like these pumps as they are super silent and reasonably priced.
Are you running a Waveline on your closed loop on the 165?

It was the noise issue for me. I would love a big Reeflo pump, but then theres noise, and my tank is in a regularily used room. Thats why I was considering the Wavelines for my closed loop.

I also heard that they started shipping the pumps with a new o-ring that prevented leaking, but some still complained about salt creep and such.

So many choices and opinions out there!! haha.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 PM

No I have it running as the main return. I have a Dolphin pump running the closed loop.

Stay clear..... this Bear bites off limbs!!

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I'm running a Reeflo barracuda and the vibration runs throughout my house. I've got spa flex on both sides, isolation pad underneath it and isolation between the hangars and the pipe and I still get a hum through my floor. Been hoping for a quieter pump...
Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Could do that but then when it gets to the SCWD it would have to be reduced done to 1" anyways. The DC10000 comes with the barb fitting for 3 different hose sizes and doesnt except a pvc fitting on the outlet very well.
That may be true, but think of it this way. Let's say with no piping the DC10000 delivers 10000 lph @ 30PSI right at the discharge of the pump (I have no idea what pressure it delivers but for the argument let's call it that) If your SCWD is 12" away from your pump, good chances are your getting close to the same volume and pressure from your pump and the restriction starts at the SCWD.
But now, let's add 15' of 1" hose. The pump now has to overcome the friction loss of the 1" pipe before the SCWD. So now the SCWD probably only sees 6500 lph. If you can lower the friction loss the water encounters on the way (make it easier for it to get there) to the SCWD, the pump will perform much better.
I tried using some of my firefighting pump formula's but the pressures are too small for them to work, but the principles are the same. Larger hose for longer lengths to get the same pressures and volumes.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I'm running a Reeflo barracuda and the vibration runs throughout my house. I've got spa flex on both sides, isolation pad underneath it and isolation between the hangars and the pipe and I still get a hum through my floor. Been hoping for a quieter pump...
That is exactly why I wanted to use these pumps, anything else would send vibration noise through out my house.

Quote:
That may be true, but think of it this way. Let's say with no piping the DC10000 delivers 10000 lph @ 30PSI right at the discharge of the pump (I have no idea what pressure it delivers but for the argument let's call it that) If your SCWD is 12" away from your pump, good chances are your getting close to the same volume and pressure from your pump and the restriction starts at the SCWD.
But now, let's add 15' of 1" hose. The pump now has to overcome the friction loss of the 1" pipe before the SCWD. So now the SCWD probably only sees 6500 lph. If you can lower the friction loss the water encounters on the way (make it easier for it to get there) to the SCWD, the pump will perform much better.
I tried using some of my firefighting pump formula's but the pressures are too small for them to work, but the principles are the same. Larger hose for longer lengths to get the same pressures and volumes.
Good point I will try that out, get some fittings for 1 1/2" figure out my return hose line length and retest.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner