Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-24-2010, 05:36 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I'm pretty sure you can't import mangroves from Hawaii, they are a protected species there.
Hmm I wonder why.. since they are not native to Hawaii and the University of Hawaii Botany Department classifies them as pests

Furthermore, it is out of control in some parts of Hawaii. In several places throughout Hawaii, volunteers are asked to help clear out the mangroves by cutting them down.

I was in Hawaii not too long ago

Last edited by kien; 01-24-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:10 PM

new but handy is on a distinguished road

****edited*******
http://www.issg.org/database/species...leu/Rauzon.pdf
here are some facts
They are not even a native species so I don't know why they would be protected

Last edited by Chin_Lee; 01-24-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: this thread was reopened for group buy. Pls keep it civil
Old 01-24-2010, 06:48 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Wow I can't believe how much of an ordeal this has stirred up, thank you for jumping to my aid everyone but we all mess up facts once in a while so there is no need to chastise sphelps (As morally unethical as I might still exist in his books). I will continue with the order for all those that are interested, please PM me with your orders and post here that way I coordinate everything with some certainty.
Thank You!
Levi
Old 01-24-2010, 07:19 PM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

10 please good sir.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:12 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Mangroves are a protected species in Florida and not Hawaii, I apologize for getting those mixed up.

I am pretty sure you'll still need a phytosanitary certificate to get them legally across the boarder, they may technically be seeds but that's not necessarily what customs will consider them. The first time I ordered them they where destroyed at the boarder because I was unaware of the requirement. The next time I got the certificate which I recomend getting as it only costs around $50 and the supplier should be able to supply it for you.

Off topic but I just wanted to mention that vendors will charge between $10-$15 for plants because they have invested time and money into growing them out, the more mature the plant the higher the price. Pods will usually sell for $5 to $10 at most. The fact that ordering from wholesalers and reselling at a higher price is considered acceptable provided the price is below retail kind of surprises me. It's pretty easy to sell things for less when overhead doesn't exist. Of course I don't make the rules but I sure am glad I'm not a vendor.

So following the rules would it be acceptable for me to organize group orders from other livestock wholesalers? I mean provided I keep the prices below standard retail
Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Mangroves are a protected species in Florida and not Hawaii, I apologize for getting those mixed up.

I am pretty sure you'll still need a phytosanitary certificate to get them legally across the boarder, they may technically be seeds but that's not necessarily what customs will consider them. The first time I ordered them they where destroyed at the boarder because I was unaware of the requirement. The next time I got the certificate which I recomend getting as it only costs around $50 and the supplier should be able to supply it for you.

Off topic but I just wanted to mention that vendors will charge between $10-$15 for plants because they have invested time and money into growing them out, the more mature the plant the higher the price. Pods will usually sell for $5 to $10 at most. The fact that ordering from wholesalers and reselling at a higher price is considered acceptable provided the price is below retail kind of surprises me. It's pretty easy to sell things for less when overhead doesn't exist. Of course I don't make the rules but I sure am glad I'm not a vendor.

So following the rules would it be acceptable for me to organize group orders from other livestock wholesalers? I mean provided I keep the prices below standard retail
Quote:
Again, as previously stated, because this is a one-time basis and other members DO have the option to order directly from the source, I do not feel that a moderator needs to intervene at this time.
Sphelps please drop it, I'm not sure where this need for vindication is coming from but I am far from reeling in the cash on this. It started with me needing a whack load of mangroves for myself, I asked if anyone else wanted any and I got an incredible about of interest at the price that I posted. I simply exist as the middle man for a one time transaction. As far as LFS investing time in growing out mangroves/ pods if there was a shop in Calgary selling them for $5.00 I would of purchased the pods locally. Pods that have taken root and starting growing leaves don't handle transport that well so its preferential to purchase them in the pod state and let them grow to your system.
Levi
Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 PM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road

Can I get two? I dunno what Im quite getting myself into, but would they grow well out of my deep sand bed in my refugium?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:05 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Mangrove pods that are NOT sprouting or embedded in the ground are legal to collect in Florida.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee

Reason for this group buy to continue is outlined in my post. If you have issues with it, please PM me. Otherwise, play nice.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:36 AM

Excuse my silence on this recently, been a little busy but see the front page for updated info.
Thank you!
Levi