Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-24-2002, 05:59 PM

Son Of Skyline is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Son Of Skyline Send a message via MSN to Son Of Skyline
Default Good LFS in Vancouver??

Quote:
Originally posted by Troy F:
Damn Trigger, that post is cold. I didn't take it as a flame but the backstabbing kind of stuff is way offside.

Store gives good advice: important.

Store has good pricing: important.

Store carries quality product: important.

Store shows ethics when dealing with livestock: important.

Store operator takes you into confidence and you spread it on the internet: cheese, cheese, cheese.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You forgot about this one...

Store has good customer service: important.

One thing I noticed about Trigger's post, he only stated the things that he's actually seen at the store. He's not flaming or accusing anybody of anything.

I'm not trying to steer everybody away from J&L, or trying to talk sh*t just because I want to. I just wanted to say that J&L has some of the worst customer service that I've ever encountered...with the exception of a particular restauarant that I used be a regular at...but that's a different story [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'll still go back there to get all I need to get, they do have the best stuff, some of the best prices, and selection is great. I just won't spend any more time in there than I need to.

Maybe they just like to pick and choose who they wnat to be friendly to. They definitely didn't choose me.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:07 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Mason, you {and anyone else) are entitled to your opinions. I have no problem with any of you stating that you don't feel you've been treated the way you'd like at a particular store. That is not my experience at the said store buy your mileage may vary.

Triggers expose on behind the scenes dealings is cheese. True or not, it is not neccessary. I just don't get it. He's not saying he is treated poorly, he's saying, (and I paraphrase) "these guys treat me fine but laugh and gesture at some of you guys behind your back". What is this a school yard?
Old 05-24-2002, 07:10 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

the first two times I went to J&L, I was not impressed with the attatude at all, but then I went back with Brad and they remembered who I was (after only two visits in 3 months) and they were much more friendly and helpfull. off first impression if there was another place as good and as cheep I would probably have never gone back bu after being there 3 times and seeing the change I have no problems with them at all. when you think about it there is only what.. 3 people who actualy work there and they are busy as heck every time I have been there so I can understand if they don't sit and take to everyone who walks in the store.. if they did that they would never get anything done.

Steve
Old 05-24-2002, 08:49 PM

canadawest is on a distinguished road

Although I have had similar experiences with J&L's customer service (or seemingly lack thereof), the fact remains I will continue to shop there for the quality, prices and knowledge.

But something of particular interest, did anybody notice on the website that they are now (again) carrying Red Sea Prizm and Prizm Pro protein skimmers? Next time I'm in there I'd like to ask John about that as I know they stopped selling them last year based on John's opinion that "they are crap" when I asked about them (I was already using one, and solicited his opinion as an experienced reefkeeper and retailer of the product)

Just made me laugh when I saw them advertising them again last week. :rolleyes:
Old 05-24-2002, 08:54 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Ya know, I was gonna stay out of this but after the email I got today I have to say that the customer service at J&L is second to none. After ordering and receiving 50lbs of live rock from J&L (which is excellent by the way. It totally rocks :D )) three weeks ago I noticed this week on their website that they had reduced the prices on their live rock. I'll say I was a bit irked that I missed out on that but no biggie, it wasn't major dollars. However, today, THREE weeks after ordering and receiving it, I got an email from Allen telling me that he had credited my account for the difference reflecting the new price. I must say that is probably the best dang customer service I have ever heard of. Hey maybe they don't greet me with a marching band or hang on every word I have to say when I go into their store, but they have excellent advice (on both their products and used items I have purchased from others) as well as all other sorts of little tidbits of information that I can glean from them.
Hey maybe I'm biased. We don't exactly have a plethora of reef stores on this side of the water. And for some, their customer service is practically nonexistent (no, Brad I'm not talking about Hillside here [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

Christy [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2002, 09:16 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Christy, just to let you know, my opinion of Hillside since Mike left has degraded somewhat!
Old 05-24-2002, 09:35 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Andrew, the Prizm/low-end skimmer thing came up in a conversation and they carry them because despite their efforts people insisted on them. Not everyone is buying Bullets and Aerofoamers.

PS: I've been busy lately but I promise I'll make it over with the refractometer one of these days soon.

Hey maybe they don't greet me with a marching band or hang on every word I have to say when I go into their store, but they have excellent advice (on both their products and used items I have purchased from others) as well as all other sorts of little tidbits of information that I can glean from them.

Egg-Zactly Christy, perfectly said.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:39 PM

Silverfish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Silverfish

Ditto on what Christy said. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2002, 12:45 AM

Coffeeman is on a distinguished road

I was not terribly impressed with King Ed.I once bought a feather duster from them, I watched in horror as the old guy[don't know his name],spent a good 5 minutes trying to pull it off a rock.I felt sick watching knowing full well it could never survive what he was doing to it.When I placed it in my tank it never opened and after about 3 weeks I threw it in the garbage.On another visit I wanted to buy an Anenome for my Clown, I noticed they had a very tiny bubbletip for sale.I asked the old guy[don't know his name],if it would grow larger as my clown would never fit into it,He said in a very rude manner"No,they don't grow at all",he then stormed off and I never saw him after that.The guy was some sort of Fish Nazi,I won't be buying and more livestock from them,or should I say deadstock.And yes I'm a newbie to the hobby.
Old 05-25-2002, 04:53 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

well...what can we say...some people just wont hit it off with others...hey thats human nature.

i'm not using that as an excuse for poor customer service, but that's life.

plus, JL is pretty much an owner/operator shop...if they dont want to be nice to you, it's their loss if they lose you as a paying customer.

hey achilles,
when did you work at big al's..and which one?
sometimes you just gotta take initiative, when i worked there, i fed the fish real well...specially the predators...its just so much fun to watch fish go hunting!!