Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 PM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

I had some of the same issues you are having when it came to gettin Acros to grow. I had a couple frags in my tank for almost a year that didnt grow until I started dosing.
There are four things I dose to my tank on a weekly basis.
- Kent Tech-M Magnesium
- Kent Tech-A&B Calcium and Alkalinity
- Kent Coral Accel

Within a few weeks of dosing and stabilization occured I noticed my acros were growing and have done so since. The Digis and MontiCaps which grew either way really took off at that time.

As suggested before, definately get a magnesium test done and see if it is low and raise it to around 1200 or so. 1500 if you have algae issues.
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Having food available for the corals seems to be the common thread between several tanks, whether it's natural (fish poop) or other form of supplementation.

I have a couple of issues to work out prior to supplementing the tank, although I did pick up a few Zeo products to dose for when the time comes. I really have to work out my Ca issue prior to doing anything, I highly doubt it's at 650, there is zero precipitaion. Once that is sorted I'll work on my lighting schedule etc. In the meantime I have increased my fish load considerably in the last couple of days ( May not be all that wise ) but the water volume is fairly large an none of the fish are huge.
I added a Coral Beauty and Fisheri Angel last night and a local guy has a Mimic Tang, couple of Clowns and a Chromis that I'm going to add to the tank tonight.

I'll get there slowly.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 AM

This piece has really started to change the last few days.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:49 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

I believe that frag is originally from me. It's a tricolor. It a lower nutrient tank the body should almost be white with about 1/2" of purple tips, white polyps and the end of the tip is green. It's a fairly fast grower. In your picture it's got the purple tips and lighter coloured end so it should be growing.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I believe that frag is originally from me. It's a tricolor. It a lower nutrient tank the body should almost be white with about 1/2" of purple tips, white polyps and the end of the tip is green. It's a fairly fast grower. In your picture it's got the purple tips and lighter coloured end so it should be growing.
Thanks Dez,

Now I know what to strive for.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:28 AM
bvlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
What's your thinking behind the increased light cycle? Light longer because I have reduced light output with out actinics, or light longer because I'm not providing light in the Actinic spectrum?

I'm not sure lighting longer just because of the reduced par of not having actinics would be the sollution, I'm putting a lot of light in the tank with the 3ea 400w 14k DE halides no?. I'm willing to try though. I have the retrofit T5's I intended to use for Actinics but I haven't gotten around to installing them yet.
slow groth is not due to the lighting and the higher the K your lights are the more itinics light spectrum they have normaly I have seen 14k's that are yellow. but mostly they tend to have a itinic color or blue color.

I would look at the Mag and CA these are the primary bulding blocks for calsification.

Bill