Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-25-2011, 11:54 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

The house is fully insulated and should be getting drywalled at this very moment. Took these pics on Friday:

Just in case any of the drywallers were confused as to whether or not they should stand on the vertical surfaces of of the sump/stand's protective box, we left them a handy sign.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:13 AM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

$100 says you catch one of those idiots standing on it with a smoke dangling out his mouth when you swing by for a surprise look in the near future
Old 08-07-2011, 04:40 PM

Not a whole lot has changed, but the house is 80% drywalled now. Can't believe how much of a difference it makes, actually being able to look at closed walls, finally feels like a house. Mudding and taping starts next week, then it's time to order the actual tank!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:12 PM

perhaps these photos of an empty space where a tank will eventually be are a little gratuitous, but I'm excited as hell this is happening, so I don't care!

The fan's been incorporated in to the ceiling:

From the office looking toward Kitchen/Dining room:

From the dining room looking in toward the office:

And just cuz it finally looks like a room, the kitchen and dining room (nothing to do with the tank, I'm just excited)
Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
perhaps these photos of an empty space where a tank will eventually be are a little gratuitous, but I'm excited as hell this is happening, so I don't care!
Not at all nobody will understand that as well as us! Been through two house builds and a few tanks builds. I envy you that feeling is really tough to beat. Sweet anticipation! Things are looking great btw.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Not at all nobody will understand that as well as us! Been through two house builds and a few tanks builds. I envy you that feeling is really tough to beat. Sweet anticipation! Things are looking great btw.
Heh, thanks. As soon as the drywall boards went up, it suddenly started looking like an actual house. I'm in Ontario for the next week, and while I'm here they're putting on the cedar boards and soffit on the outside and prepping the house for stucco. It will be a totally different structure when I get home!

They also apparently poured the concrete in the backyard yesterday, which is pretty thrilling as there is going to be a pretty large water feature in it as well - I haven't worked it out yet but it might actually hold more water than the aquarium.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:31 PM

Ah heck, I'll post a pic of that too:

So far they've only framed the exterior walls that will hold up half the backyard, there's going to be a second inner tier of walls that will form a 3 level terrace stepping down from the upper level to the lower level. about half of the long side will be sealed, so at the top there will be an stone bowl that water pours from, down the face of one of the walls in to a shallow pool, then down a second wall in to the lower tier, which will be 2 feet deep and 5 feet wide. The plan is to fill the bottom tier with water lilies, and the middle tier with marginal plants. However, I'm half heartedly trying to figure out if there's a way I can make it a salt water fountain and fill it with animals you'd find in a BC tide pool hehe.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

where are you building, Adam.....obviously an old neighborhood, with an alley in the back...
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 08-18-2011, 12:03 AM

It's in St. Andrews Heights. I have lived in Calgary my whole life and I had never heard of the place until we saw the listing for the house we bought.

It's just off University Drive next to the Foothills. Nice old neighbourhood that seems to be about 10% under construction with new homes at any given moment.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:06 PM

I've spent the past 2 days (literally) researching lighting options. I had pretty much discounted LEDs as an option a few months ago as I hadn't done a whole ton of research and I didn't trust the technology to spend the kind of cash I would need for a high end fixture. However, I stopped in at Red Coral on the weekend and saw the Reef Tech unit there and was inspired to do some more digging. I'm thinking that I might have been too quick to pass them over as an option.

After some serious digging, I've come to the conclusion that LEDs might be right for me, but I'm majorly on the fence regarding brand.

The three options I am most interested in are:

Vertex Illumina 260 (6 ft fixture)
- I like the modability of this fixture, but I'm having a hard time finding people who've owned the fixture for many months who are posting reliable pictures. I've also been looking in to the bulbs they use, and while I haven't been able to find the specific 'white' bulb they use on the Cree website, I've found others that are comparable (I think anyway), and they don't seem to have the red peak in the right nanometre range (a peak closer to 550nm, whereas photosynthesis does best at about 675). I don't know how big of a deal this is, but I know that that peak is really critical to chlorophyll, so I'm still not 100% sold on this. I like that it can be updated as technology advances, but I scream at the idea of paying extra for something as tacky as 'lightning effects'. Also, It's a 34 inch wide tank, and if I'm spending 5 grand on a fixture I'm not at all interested in needing to supplement it to get extra spread, it should be a one stop shop. Some people say it's 120 degree spread will cover up to 36 inches, but I've not been totally blown away by anecdotal PAR readings. I do think the sunrise/sunset and moon cycles feature has value in terms of fish behaviour though, and this is a very appealing draw.

Orphek PR-156W - They claim to have developed their own diodes specifically for corals, and I've seen some killer tanks on RC using just these lights. They don't mess around with the gimmicky lighting modes, but the ability to fade on and off would be better. They're less expensive for what I'd need, but I'm confused about their colours - their white is a 16K diode with a pretty weak spike in the 550nm range compared to the spike in the blue range. This doesn't seem any different than the Cree LEDs on the vertex from a spectrum point of view, but I'm by no means an expert on lights. They're definitely on the short list. Also, if I orient them perpendicular to the long side of the tank, they will give me more than enough coverage with 4 fixtures.

ReefTech Prometheus - Hot little fixture, though not sure if it has the spread to cover a 34" wide tank, and again, the idea of needing supplemental lighting of any kind after spending 4000 gives me gas. It's possible that they could be oriented perpendicular like the Orpheks and go with 4 units instead of three, but they're not really that long of a fixture to begin with. The whites on this unit are 7000-8300K, which should have a spike much closer to 675nm, and should therefore be more photosynthetically useful to corals.

I would love some input. I'm also thinking I'll wait to make a decision until the last possible moment (sometime in December), and hope that something more specifically practical has come out by then that addresses all the issues currently facing LEDs.