Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-13-2010, 05:18 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Good way to move a tank by yourself. Looks like you work in construction.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:09 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Chase: Thanks!

Brett: Haha, you did a pretty good job muscling that thing! Unfortunately going across the middle of the room i had nothing to work with (push from) so the bolt in the floor was the only way. I did have to watch that i didnt drill into our in-floor heating though! That would NOT have been fun! - Edit: we are just going to floor around all the tanks in the room... nothing fancy, its a fish room. Im probably just going to drop some sort of levelled/sealed subfloor, and put those stick-on vinyl tiles down - or else put in a carpet cut-to-fit but not secure it around tanks so I can still lift it up in the event of a spill.

Hillegom: Haha thanks... not quite, but I grew up with a hammer in my hand and a civil engineer as my dad, its proven to be quite beneficial, lol.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Funky_Fish14; 01-13-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

haha how did you avoid the infloor heating?! You 'carefully guessed' I'm thinking lol!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:01 AM

Well based on some complicated calculus I did in my head... (actually calculus sucks... glad I only have to take this 1 class ever!). Yes, I made a 'careful guess' and stayed close to an exterior wall (no heat needed on the outside of the building, all the heating pipe was layed about 1ft from the outer walls most of the way around, i drilled about 8" from the footing... and hoped for the best.

Last edited by Funky_Fish14; 01-16-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:49 AM

Sorry for the lack of updates We've been working on finishing the basement lately so I have not accomplished anything on the tank... but I REALLY want to get this bad boy running!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 PM

Default Sorry, Loooonnnggg Post & Pic Intense!

Finally, some real news! The tank is ready for a water test!

- Doors: Installed
- Plumbing : Finished, Glued
- Styro Backing: Done
- Tank Position: In Final Place(hopefully for a million years! Damn is that thing heavy Brett!)
- Levelling: Dunnn
- Drain line: Plumbed
- Supply line: Will take 5 minutes to complete

Here are the latest Pics:

Here the drain with the 1" tee'd out of it will be the primary drain (set-up as a herbie), with the other 1.5" as a back-up.

Upper 1" line connects to drain bin in stand, lower line drains 'inside' the stand if anything were to spill or leak (thank-you for that Brett!). Valve is there to close the 'back-up' drain if I am using the bin, otherwise I'd flood the stand, haha.

The bin will allow me to either syphon water out of the tank and away, instead of using buckets, I can also pump water into it from the inline pump, and I will also use it for cleaning out the filter media in. (Using tank-water so as to not kill any bacteria).

There will be a doorway in the middle of the opening below (where the flex-hose is). These valves and union allow me to get the line out of the way when not in use, it will coil up and hang beside the tanks against the opposit wall. I am temporarily keeping a couple fish for my buddy as hes moving, hence the tank on the floor.

Here the upper line into the wall supplies the tanks on the wall opposit the 225. The dangling line on the left will connect to this line (thats all that is left to do) and is the supply line for the 225. Below at the bottom corner of the far wall are the two drain lines from my drainage bins on each side of the room. The 1" hose being from the 225.

100g of R/O Storage!

I will be cleaning up all the cords and hoses next. Still going to be relocating the booster pump that is kind of hidden in a mass of foam.

And the line to the floor drain. Far side comes from the tanks and HRV, close side comes from furnace and humidifier.

And since it seems like a bunch of people on Canreef have one of these, and its hanging above my R/O system (the floordrain on that side originally came from it and is what I tied in to), the good 'ol HRV that keeps the house moisture free and fresh:

And finally, the big bad jack that helped me shim the stand, haha. I think this is the only thing that didnt complain about the weight (8000lb capacity). It actually made the job really easy.

Sometime within the next week I will be picking up 160lbs of Shiny black sand (then adding water!) and next in the plans for this are a giant piece of driftwood and a 4-bulb T5 tek-light!

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Funky_Fish14; 03-01-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Holy cow you've been busy! You have the coolest parents of all-time man seriously. High five your dad or something cause he kicks ASS.

I'm impressed with how much piping you managed to re-use. Keep us posted it's looking great.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 PM

Haha, thanks Brett! Its taken a little time to do this!

I certainly will! I thank them all the time for 'entertaining' my hobby and letting me drill holes through their house for all this stuff! Haha. And my Dad is awesome and helps when he can! They've been in Florida for a bit, im hoping to have water in it before they get back... I think they'll be pleased to finally see it running (and me getting some of the other tanks out of the middle of the room, haha!).

Brett i've spent so much money on plumbing in the last couple years, I really appreciated you tossing all that my way. I'd be broke (well, not that I am not broke as is, haha) plumbing this beast without that! So thank-you! You did a heck of a job with that stuff in the first place which made it easier to re-use too!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 03-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Gold Member

So I know we only spoke briefly (in my head) about me essentially getting the tank and stand BACK (for free too which was cool) once my new basement was ready. I'm bringing this up since your plumbing sorta looks semi-permanent...

Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Hahaha. Ohh yeah Brett, definitely! I wish YOU a fun time getting it BACK on to the stand and having to squeeze into that 1/8th inch clearance space between the tiles, haha. It sure looks hella good though!

You know man if you ever do need anything im there! Just holler!