Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
I think you want the pellets gently tumbling a little to make sure no anaerobic areas develop. Other than that I don't think there is really a recommended flow rate. I guess it depends on your reactor etc. I have a ball valve on the tube from my pump to the reactor to fine tune it so the pellets move just a little.
My pellets are in my ZeoRx, but I have them in a carbon bag, they don't tumble. But when I mix my reactor twice daily, I am quite vigorous... Seeing some good mulm come out. I am having a slight, and I say slight algae bloom yesterday, but today it has decipated. Same with diatoms on sand, but again today it is looking good again. Something is happening!

Overall, water looks nice, it was clean before, but seeing even more sparkle/scrispness. This is a good sign of things happening.

Edit:
I have also now turned off my UV, I was running this opposite cycles with my Reactor, on a 3 hour on/off cycle. UV was independantly added (not on return), keeping the pump going and cylcing some water in the return area back through refuge and skimmers. This to put some mulm through the refuge/skimmer cycle so I don't get too much and to run some cleaned water through twice. Also have my Reactor on 24/7 now to see what happens.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk

Last edited by globaldesigns; 01-08-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:17 AM

burrows14 is on a distinguished road

I am interested in running these in a TLF reactor. Do the foam rings pose any problem or does the reactor have to be modified due to the mulm.

cheers
Ray
Old 01-09-2010, 12:26 AM

BC Mosaic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrows14 View Post
I am interested in running these in a TLF reactor. Do the foam rings pose any problem or does the reactor have to be modified due to the mulm.

cheers
Ray
The pellets reduce in size over time so if there are no foam rings these small pellets will be spat out out of the recator.

The foam will get plugged up with mulm eventually and will have to be cleaned.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:11 AM

hmmm sound like a lot extra maintnence... maybe ill wait a littl bit and buy a reactor
Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 AM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrows14 View Post
hmmm sound like a lot extra maintnence... maybe ill wait a littl bit and buy a reactor
Supposedly it can take 8 months to a year for the pellets to fully dissolve, new pellets can be added continuously to maintain the volume.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:38 AM

Sweet! Order placed!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:51 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
It would be really interesting to see how SPS would react to it, if they would have greater PE or not. The gorgs in my tank don't seem much changed but they are being pestered by butterflies so I am not getting full expansion on some anyhow.
SPS PE is VERY noticeable,even though sps in my tank had a very good PE ( i thought ) now its even better.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:55 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Mosaic View Post
I noticed that the sponges (both top & bottom ones) are getting gummed up. Did I not clean it well enough prior to this use or is that the "good mulm"? Any of you guys have this same experience?

Thanks
I noticed the same thing, sponges a getting plugged up slightly. I know for sure i Did clean them up before placing pellets on Dec 30/2009, and i am only a day 10 with pellets.

Last edited by RuGlu6; 01-09-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:43 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Was reading on RC that many don't use the sponges in the TLF reactor's I was thinkning not using the sponges too.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 01-10-2010, 02:49 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Very interesting info. My nitrates are a bit high (around 20) I tried vodka dosing I got to dosing 8.7ml on day 68. But after 68 days and not seeing any change in my nitrate levels I slowly stopped vodka dosing.

Since I stopped vodka dosing my nitrates have remained at the same level. The only difference I noticed from vodka dosing was my zoos started to shrivel up and die Since I stopped vodka dosing my zoos are slowly making a come back and are looking better. I would like to try these N/P pellets but I wonder if after a few months of use if it too would have a negative affect on my zoos like the vodka dosing did.