Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-19-2010, 08:31 PM

Carmen is on a distinguished road

Well tank stuff had been put on the back burner for the last week or so. My daughter was very ill and in and out of the Emergency all last week for a severe stomach flu/infection. She was severely dehydrated and required IV and such, however we all survived! What a week! Now I am running around in a panic trying to pack for Mexico tomorrow!

So...the tank issues continue. Nitrates still high..., still bubbly...(But improved since I added a filter sock and raised the sump water level even more), and suddenly a new concern.......yesterday while trying to hook up my new RO/DI unit, the power dies to the tank!!!!!! Ah, OMG! WTF??? No tripped breaker??? Finally found a tripped GFI upstairs that runs in the same circiut???????? So we have no clue why it suddenly tripped or that it was even on the same circuit! (No one was even in the house using power when it tripped!) So.......no time to get an electrician in before we leave but we are concerned that I have overloaded the circuit or something so I have extension cords running all across my basement to disburse the electricity to the tank to different circuits?????????? Electrician will be in to check it out while we are away. (These things always happen right before holidays right!)

Anyway........I shall be sunnin on a beach tomorrow! (and chasin two kids)
The tank saga will continue when I return..............

45 Gallon Cube with 10 Gallon Sump, Lighting 8 bulb T5, Vertex IN 80 Skimmer
-2 Occelaris Clowns, Engineer Goby, RBTA, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Yikes. What a week. Hope your vacation is awesome. Things will be fine. It is always most hectic just before you go.

How are you measuring your nitrates? Is it possible you're getting bad readings? Have you tried another test kit (borrow one from somewhere/someone maybe?)
Old 04-20-2010, 12:31 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Yikes. What a week. Hope your vacation is awesome. Things will be fine. It is always most hectic just before you go.

How are you measuring your nitrates? Is it possible you're getting bad readings? Have you tried another test kit (borrow one from somewhere/someone maybe?)
ya she has double checked a couple times with the test kit at work.....still high......lentils may not have been tumbling as much as they needed to be......sorry for jumping in Girly

your guy has a couple really good numbers to phone if anything happens ( Im sure all will be cool.....cept maybe in Mehico)

Have Fun Girly!
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-20-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
ya she has double checked a couple times with the test kit at work.....still high......lentils may not have been tumbling as much as they needed to be......sorry for jumping in Girly

your guy has a couple really good numbers to phone if anything happens ( Im sure all will be cool.....cept maybe in Mehico)

Have Fun Girly!
Thanks! He's right Tony...double checked nitrates and unfortunately the test isn't faulty!

I am confident the tank is in excellent hands since I have Doug and Kevin as emergency numbers should anything happen! I know they would do anything for me...great guys to have looking out for me/my tank while I am away! Thanks Guys and I hope you don't get any phone calls this week......... Will be thinkin bout ya and will have a couple drinks just for you as I lay on the beach!

Old 04-20-2010, 04:27 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Bummer, I was hoping the pellets would have made a dent by now. Is it possible the nitrates are bound in the rock and substrate? In which case it will take longer .. but they'll get pulled down sooner or later. How much pellets are you running at the moment? Maybe try upping them a little.

They'll come down sooner or later!

Have a good trip!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Bummer, I was hoping the pellets would have made a dent by now. Is it possible the nitrates are bound in the rock and substrate? In which case it will take longer .. but they'll get pulled down sooner or later. How much pellets are you running at the moment? Maybe try upping them a little.

They'll come down sooner or later!

Have a good trip!
those were my thoughts too Tony.....something bound up in the rock she got with the tank when she bought it....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-29-2010, 02:59 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Back from a great trip in Mexico! Feeling somewhat relaxed (but not likin the snow here)! Trip was fantastic! Kids loved every second, great weather, lots of sun and even a little snorkellin!

Came back to a tank in good order. One loss...my fairy wrasse. Not sure what happened. She showed up one day lookin rough then never popped out again. She was looking fairly pale when I did a WC right before I left so I wasn't too surprised.
AND good news!!! My nitrates are coming down........tested last night at 20! Whohooooo!

And to reply Tony...I think the Nitrates must be leaching from the rocks...that's the only thing that really makes sense (as Doug suggested). So sooner or later I suppose it will settle down.

Still have to figure out the electrical on the tank/house. Has to wait til next week so for now I have extension cords running everywhere.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:08 PM

welcome back and glad you enjoyed your trip......sucks to hears bout your wrasse though......twas a beautiful fish......also good that the pellets seem to be kickin in......