Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-28-2013, 04:23 PM

reef-keeper is on a distinguished road

Where can you pick up a BubbleKing for $500.00? I paid $1000.00 for my mini 180.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:53 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Skyline View Post
I used a bubble magus bm160 skimmer on a 70 gal and it worked well. The aquabee pump it came with was a good pump. Paid less than $200. I then upgraded to a PM Bullet 2 on a mag12 and it also works well. You can get that combo used for around $200-250. I upgraded because I used a bullet before and want to use it on a bigger tank some day, but the BM would be perfect for a 70. My tank is an sps tank with 8 fish of various sizes.

I don't think that you need to spend big bucks for a skimmer and I don't believe that you absolutely "get what you pay for" with all skimmers. Many expensive skimmers just seem way overpriced for what they are. Acrylic and a pump.
Thanks for letting me know about the PM bullet 2. Didn't know the name till I googled it. I severely lack ideas about skimmers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
Well some people don't have the extra money to blow on a more expensive skimmer, so people should truely stop recommending skimmers double the price of the OP's budget.

For your $200 budget... go with the Curve 5.

I had a Curve 7, and it did not take long to break in after a vinegar soak, and it pulled lots of goop out right away. It was also almost dead silent, contrary to other posters comments... who I really don't think have ever owned a new Curve skimmer.

Only reason I sold mine was because I upgraded to a larger tank. Otherwise it was a great skimmer for the money.
Thanks Mike. Yah there are times where the budget is the limiting factor. Being an international student, I still try to accommodate the best I can get but its not always possible to get the best of the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef-keeper View Post
Where can you pick up a BubbleKing for $500.00? I paid $1000.00 for my mini 180.
I was referring to the skimmer which is being sold over here ;P

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 05-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Banned

denny_CC is on a distinguished road

[quote=reeferfulton;821288]
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny@conceptaquatics View Post
hence the old saying you get what you pay for , for a $200 range the bubble magus will do fine , but if you have a larger budget youll get a better quality skimmer(most times anyways lol) keep in mind the footprint on the omega is pretty big for a small skimmer at 11" x 11" while the curve is just under 8" x 8"

QUOTE]

the omega 150 footprint is 11x8.5 .. so its only really a little bit bigger
no its closer to 11 x 11 , its 11 x 9.5 tight and thats with your input tight against the glass which you dont want.

heres a few pics i snapped out of the box on a 11 x 11 piece of plywwod.

on the wood:

with a box behind to flush the plumbing up like glass would:

break out the ol tape in front and its 1 1/2" left of space to glass from the input of the pump , there needs to be some space there in order for the pump to work properly and not get restricted:

full shot:

every site i see as well has them at 11 x 11

hope this helps.

raied heres our prices on both skimmers:

vertex omega: $389.95 + tax

bubble magus curve 5 : $199.00 + tax

cheers

denny
Old 05-28-2013, 05:03 PM

[quote=denny@conceptaquatics;821306]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferfulton View Post

raied heres our prices on both skimmers:

vertex omega: $389.95 + tax

bubble magus curve 5 : $199.00 + tax

cheers

denny
Thanks Denny. See ya today evening at Concept

Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
1. JL is back ordered
2. Expensiveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
1. Concept
2. Cheap compared to other skimmers that perform as good
Old 05-28-2013, 07:25 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

IMO when people talk about what makes a skimmer 'better' or 'worth the price', the question isn't really about how good it is at removing DOC. I'd suspect that the differences in efficiency between similarly gallon rated units are fractional, and most certainly do not warrant hundreds of dollars in difference in price. What does warrant hundred dollar differences in price is everything else that makes a skimmer worth having - how finicky is it, how easy to clean, how loud it is, does it fit in the space you've got, how much power does it draw, how likely is it to go nuts and overflow, how often do you need to adjust it, what other bells and whistles does it have to make your life easier etc. etc. etc.

I've had everything from a Coralife Overflow Special all the way up to a Deltec SC2560, and while I can't say a single thing about which one was better at removing organic gunk (they all made plenty of skimmate), the "ARE YOU F*&$ING KIDDING ME?!" expensive Deltec is the least fickle piece of tank equipment I've ever had. It's got such a fine degree of control, and is so completely rock solid in the way it behaves that to me was worth the extra money. As was mentioned, if your only goal is to remove DOC, then all you need is some PVC pipes and a wooden air stone. If you want a piece of equipment that is a pleasure to work with and always behaves as expected, you start adding zeros.

I'd be looking for the best user reviews that talk about what it's like to own a particular model, not how much skimmate people subjectively think theirs is making. I'm sure some less expensive models are just as good in that regard.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
IMO when people talk about what makes a skimmer 'better' or 'worth the price', the question isn't really about how good it is at removing DOC. I'd suspect that the differences in efficiency between similarly gallon rated units are fractional, and most certainly do not warrant hundreds of dollars in difference in price. What does warrant hundred dollar differences in price is everything else that makes a skimmer worth having - how finicky is it, how easy to clean, how loud it is, does it fit in the space you've got, how much power does it draw, how likely is it to go nuts and overflow, how often do you need to adjust it, what other bells and whistles does it have to make your life easier etc. etc. etc.

I've had everything from a Coralife Overflow Special all the way up to a Deltec SC2560, and while I can't say a single thing about which one was better at removing organic gunk (they all made plenty of skimmate), the "ARE YOU F*&$ING KIDDING ME?!" expensive Deltec is the least fickle piece of tank equipment I've ever had. It's got such a fine degree of control, and is so completely rock solid in the way it behaves that to me was worth the extra money. As was mentioned, if your only goal is to remove DOC, then all you need is some PVC pipes and a wooden air stone. If you want a piece of equipment that is a pleasure to work with and always behaves as expected, you start adding zeros.

I'd be looking for the best user reviews that talk about what it's like to own a particular model, not how much skimmate people subjectively think theirs is making. I'm sure some less expensive models are just as good in that regard.
You always hit the sweet spot of any argument

Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

How about a used Reef Octopus 1000 SSS?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak View Post
How about a used Reef Octopus 1000 SSS?
No used stuff is going in or around my tank anymore (electrical equipment) even if I have to get something that won't perform as good. I just have too many bad lucks with used equipment :P

Old 05-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
You always hit the sweet spot of any argument
LOL, yeah the sweet spot... take out a second mortgage to buy a skimmer!!!!

I think all of us in this hobby would prefer that every piece of our equipment had three zero's after it, but thats not reality for the majority unfortunately.

I myself, don't make a ton of money. This hobby is so expensive, that the only option sometimes is used or cheaper equipment. And while I would love to have deltec this, or bubble king that..... it just isn't going to happen (yet).

I think that we can all agree that you usually get what you pay for in this hobby. But when the poster asks for recommendations on a skimmer for a budget.... I don't think that everyones answer should be "just buy a bubble king". Just dosn't make any sense. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
^^^ Well said Adam!

They call it addiction for a reason...

Last edited by FishyFishy!; 05-28-2013 at 07:48 PM.