Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslicus View Post
So day 2:

NO3 <0.25ppm RedSea Test
PO3 0.08 Red Sea Test and 0.08 Milwakee test
Ca 423ppm Hanna Test
Alk 8.7 Hanna Test
PH 7.8 Digital Milwakee Test (mrning)

As I can judge I have close to 0 NO3 but elevated PO3, which means my NO3 export is overkilling but PO3 stil persist. The water is better but still not crystl lear as used to be.
I m going to turn on GFO and change the media GFO and Carbon.
Still waiting for water test result from Denny to cross check. The plan is to chek all these measurements daily over a week and see dynamic.

Target to lower Alk to 8 and keep Ca at 420-450, To control PO3 nd PH within 7.8-8.2

My issue is SPS coloration and STN or RTN.

Any feedback and comments how to solve the issue? Thx
Your numbers across the board are actually looking pretty good today. NO3 and P04 while not absolutely zero are still not numbers that I would panic about. Looks like alk is on its way down and again, 8.7 is nothing to panic about. CA at 423 is perfect and pH at 7.8 this morning is fine too. My pH is sitting at 7.8 now and will continue to climb throughout the day until it tops out at about 8.3 sometimes 8.4 before it starts to drop again for the night. My recommendation there is to not fight your pH. Let it do what it's going to do.

Your BioPellets should continue to drop your nitrates and bringing GFO back online will drop your PO4 to zero in short order.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:12 PM

ruslicus is on a distinguished road

I ust changed GFO media and Carbon media. will text PO3 from output of reactor in an hour to see if the reactor actually is working. I use 1cup of HG GFO, is it enough for 85-90gal water system? My concern isn't NO3 too low? talking about starving? should I dose some coral energy solution? but PO3 is too high... dilema!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:23 AM

So my PH range during the day was 7.8 to 8.1. which I think is ok. My issue is even after change of GFO and checking the outlet from GFO rector I still get 0.04-0.08 PO3? any ideas how I get PO lowered? GFO doesn't look like working?
Old 03-31-2013, 03:08 AM

Denny from Concept got back to me with following results:

alk : 8.53 vs mine 8.7
phos : 0.03 vs mine 0.08
nitrates : 0 vs mine <0.25
amonia: 0
calcium : 375 vs mine 430

My biggest concern Caclium and PO3 are big difference. What is the most accurate Test kit for PO3 and Calcium? Still my SPS are upset so should be a problem somewhere. Ideas?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:57 AM

So water is crystal clear now, which is good. But big issue cannot drop PO3, at least based on Red Sea test kit. My numbers today:
1. Salinity 1.025
2. PO3 0.08
3. NO3 based on test kit it is negative can it be a problem for SPS coloration?
4. Ca 450
5. Alk 8.6
6. PH 7.9-8.2 during the day

My pocci still not puffy yet.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:53 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So water is crystal clear now, which is good. But big issue cannot drop PO3, at least based on Red Sea test kit. My numbers today:
1. Salinity 1.025
2. PO3 0.08
3. NO3 based on test kit it is negative can it be a problem for SPS coloration?
4. Ca 450
5. Alk 8.6
6. PH 7.9-8.2 during the day

My pocci still not puffy yet.
Good to hear about the water. That's progress. All other values look reasonable. Phosphates should continue to drop over the course of the week if you have just installed new GFO. Test again on the weekend to see where it's at. 0.08 is nothing to panic about though :-)

Pocci (and other corals) may take much longer to recover from whatever shocked them. Could be the cloudy water, could be the paramter swings. Who knows, but whatever it was, their recovery may be a long slow road no matter what course correction you do now.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:17 PM

Kien you my mentor will follow your guideline! Thank you!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 AM

So today I've got my Hanna PO3 checker and I am getting 0.03ppm which aligned to Denny's result. I used another Ca test Red Sea and I am getting 410ppm. Mine was showing 450ppm Should I start dosing a little bit Ca or keep testing couple of more days to confirm Ca is dropping? Alk dropped to 8.4, PH range 7.9-8.2.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:43 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So today I've got my Hanna PO3 checker and I am getting 0.03ppm which aligned to Denny's result. I used another Ca test Red Sea and I am getting 410ppm. Mine was showing 450ppm Should I start dosing a little bit Ca or keep testing couple of more days to confirm Ca is dropping? Alk dropped to 8.4, PH range 7.9-8.2.
And once again, all your numbers look just fine :-) P03 is reasonably low should continue to drop (although probably at a slower rate) from this point onward. Ca at 410 is great. What is your target? When I was dialing my Ca in I waited an entire water change cycle to see what the total drop was between water changes, and then calculated how much I needed to dose to compensate for the Ca drop in between water changes.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
And once again, all your numbers look just fine :-) P03 is reasonably low should continue to drop (although probably at a slower rate) from this point onward. Ca at 410 is great. What is your target? When I was dialing my Ca in I waited an entire water change cycle to see what the total drop was between water changes, and then calculated how much I needed to dose to compensate for the Ca drop in between water changes.

im with kien , your water is perfectly fine overall i wouldnt be worried and would take a step back.

heres some ideas:

when you changed out the gfo its possible you stripped a bit too much phos too soon, seeing as how its your red planet that rtn'd it would make sense.

your tank is fairly new at about a couple months old plus a new higher bio load, that will take some time to adjust to.

it may be possible your cloudy water is a spawning from something

either way glad things are looking up bud