Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: What Kind of lighting do you use?
Metal Halides 23 25.84%
T5's 25 28.09%
Light Emitting Diodes (LED) 50 56.18%
Other 2 2.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera75 View Post
I think my previous reply already answered this. LED lighting is not for me simply because I don't like them, and no, I would not change my current set up even if somebody gave me a GHL Mitras for free. Different strokes for different folks ........get it?
Yeah I get it and and I use to be on your side of the fence, at one point almost switched back to MH/T5 after being thoroughly disappointed. However with the better full spectrum LED fixtures I think pretty much all issues relating to color are gone. Sure some colors are better under halides, however some are better under LEDs and once you get things tuned appropriately and the corals have adjusted to the lighting the color losses you experienced fade away. So with color and blending issues out of the picture all you have left are advantages.

Regardless what the shrinking minority might have to say, the majority will go with LEDs simply because they are better

Last edited by sphelps; 02-21-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM

chewie is on a distinguished road

Switched from Mh (2x 400w) to LED about two months ago. I find that my sps is actually doing better now, more growth and coloring is great.
I think that just using blue and white led like many of the "older" led fixtures used caused issues by not having proper full spectrum, but now many led fixtures are incorperating different temps of white 4000k up to 14 000k, and other colors, like violet, red, green ect, which seems to be helping with growth and coloration issues.
It is a newish technology so as things progress it can only get better and better, and cheaper.
Oh and the leds I got are cheap chinese made ones custom ordered to try get best spectrum possible. They make my tank look great, it was like going from a plain tube tv to an HD tv.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

MH + T5
Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 AM

11purewater is on a distinguished road

Just wait until we start talking about plasma!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Spyd is on a distinguished road

I use T5 lighting and get excellent coral growth with both SPS and LPS. I will be adding LEDs as supplemental lighting to my tank just to get the shimmer and the extra pop that comes with the RB LEDs. I won't be going full LED anytime soon though. MH and T5 have the full spectrum of lighting down pat where it is too iffy for me with the LEDs. Great lighting to include with the MH and/or T5 but not for full coverage IMO. LPS and softie tank only... Then yes, full LEDs all the way. SPS... No dice.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 PM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

MH+T5 for me.
Same reasons, color spectrum.

HOWEVER I am thinking of LEDs in the future for Heat, running cost and space reasons.
I've held off to let the spectrum issue catch up.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:20 PM

somewherebeyondthesea is on a distinguished road

How cool would it be to have OLED? imagine the possibilities!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:31 PM

Baldy is on a distinguished road

I don't really think I would say steves display tank at red coral in Edmonton looks too bad and he's using leds. The spectrum issue is catching up, but the manufacturers are letting us DIY people test everything out for them. The manufactured units are a ways behind the DIY crowd except maybe for the mitra.

And I think it speaks for itself that led outnumber mh by almost 3:1 in this vote so far

75g reef w/ 20g sump, 100lbs LR, Tunze 9006 skimmer, 3 part dosing, DIY 66 LED fixture, Reefleeper Lite
LED build here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/29498...h-mount-build/
Old 02-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
And I think it speaks for itself that led outnumber mh by almost 3:1 in this vote so far
Although, while I have to vote LED as that is what I use, I do think MH is a better light source for my needs.
I don't think anyone, including me has said that LED tanks don't look good, they sure do. I don't think I've seen a bad LED tank. I'm just saying that while my tank is still nice, it was nicer with my MH. Maybe not noticeably, but I still see the difference.
For my current needs, the benefits of LED outweigh the slight difference MH made, and I'll stick with LED. In fact I just ordered one more for my frag tank.

But, if I had more money than I could count, and built my dream tank with appropriate ventilation and cooling, I would go with MH lighting.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

It goes the other way as well, while many vote for T5s and Halide I would wager most of these users would prefer to run some kind of LED if it was financially feasible. On the other hand the amount of people running LEDs that would switch back are probably pretty scarce. Personally if you're a light snob like me the sols are not the right LEDs to use. I've never liked the color or effect from them and the full spectrum fixtures available today are significantly better for color. Anyone that's used them both will likely agree. So brad while you seem to suggest the sols are only slightly worse than your previous halides that would also suggest if you had full spectrum fixtures you might be back on par or better. But of course I know you don't like them

Last edited by sphelps; 02-22-2013 at 05:15 PM.