Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 PM

toytech is on a distinguished road

Im a tech at a dealer and after 4 years im 10k into tools for the basics (no not all snap on , and mac ) have gone to school for 8 weeks 4 times and countless 3 day stints for dealer training just to get my ticket . I have done 7500 oil changes by now (not kidding i figured it out ) and work with 3 guys that have a combinde experiance of 80 years . This is why you pay some much , the guy at mr lube gets $12 an hour and might not even be able to drive a car let alone fix one .The sales man will let you down grade they usualy only get comission on a car model not package and on add on accesories only . Any guff and ask to talk to the general manager hes they guy who has the power to fix or change anything and is usualy happy to do it.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
I had a deposit and everything on a Truck back in Oct and I was ready to go pick it up and Instead I called and backed out, ask for my deposit back after making a stink about it and having to call over the manager I got it back. They did try and push me into it and I stood my ground they are salesmen they make money on the sale they don't care if you want to downgrade or upgrade the fact is they want the sale, it keeps them going. If you have want to back out just stand your ground and fall into the pressure they will put on you.

Why not? I used to sell Digital SLR's when I was in high school before I went into the trades. I sold to professionals and amateurs and every few weeks I got to see them come back to get pictures printed. Its really simple to take a good photo with the proper tools. After that you can go to any of the numerous printing places in Calgary and get some great printing done for relatively cheap.

My sisters photographer was a friend and she charged 1800$ for a basic package with some "perks" from being a friend. Her camera was mid range, her flash was mid range and the only trick she had was a light shade for outside. If you can take a good photo you can get a high quality print done its simple.
Sorry but I personally think anyone can get lucky and come up with a few high quality photos with any camera. People pay professionals to document the whole day and produce over 1000 high quality photos. 50% of a wedding day is typically spent in dim lighting conditions and that requires at the very least a full frame camera with good high ISO performance and fast glass; 2.8 or faster.

1500 dollars wouldn't even cover the rental charge to rent the equipment required to produce a truly professional high quality product.

But this is totally of topic.

Last edited by MarkoD; 06-27-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech View Post
Im a tech at a dealer and after 4 years im 10k into tools for the basics (no not all snap on , and mac ) have gone to school for 8 weeks 4 times and countless 3 day stints for dealer training just to get my ticket . I have done 7500 oil changes by now (not kidding i figured it out ) and work with 3 guys that have a combinde experiance of 80 years . This is why you pay some much , the guy at mr lube gets $12 an hour and might not even be able to drive a car let alone fix one .The sales man will let you down grade they usualy only get comission on a car model not package and on add on accesories only . Any guff and ask to talk to the general manager hes they guy who has the power to fix or change anything and is usualy happy to do it.
I totally agree with this. My ex was a tech as well and went through the GM ASEP(spelling sorry) program at Sait, was an accellerated program, 2 months school, 2 months work, back to school, back to work, finished the program in 1 1/2 years as there was a bit more of a stretch between year 3 & 4. The stuff mechanics need to know is insane, foreign vehicles have their own training programs specific to them and you have to keep up as the technology changes. You are like any other trade, educated and valued. Add your education on to the shops costs and ya, its expensive. Chances are if you go to Canadian Tire for repairs, there is maybe 1 or 2 licensed mechanics, the rest likely haven't even started schooling. Hence the cheaper rates and the likelihood of going back because it wasn't done right.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
If I go through with the purchase, I will post a picture tomorrow. If not, then no biggie.
Yes biggie after all this reading I'm dying to know what car is it!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Lets not compare mechanics with photographers.... Ones a trade the other is nothing more than a hobby these days. Professional photography died with the release of digital SLRs.

I also worked at a dealer, I didn't notice any fowl play. Seemed to me they made their money off warranty work as they would go out of their way to check everything and replace and fix anything even slightly questionable. Cars not under warranty would not get the same service. I would bet money they won't have an issue selling you a different car.

As for expensive cars requiring expensive service, my BMW requires only yearly service which is usually just an oil change. Oil lasts for 25000kms or longer depending on the driving style and the dealer chargers $120 for the change. 7 liters of 0W40 and a filter will run you around $90 from CT so I don't see any room for theft there. They also detail the car inside and out.

Last edited by sphelps; 06-28-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:04 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Well I have cleaned out my car so I guess that means I'm going through with the purchase. I'm actually getting excited now for the first time.

It's a 2012 Camaro SS, inferno orange and it comes with a few bells and whistles. I was thinking of going to the V6 but gonna stick with what I've picked. I'm gonna have a fun summer!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:08 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Lets not compare mechanics with photographers.... Ones a trade the other is nothing more than a hobby these days. Professional photography died with the release of digital SLRs.

I also worked at a dealer, I didn't notice any fowl play. Seemed to me they made their money off warranty work as they would go out of their way to check everything and replace and fix anything even slightly questionable. Cars not under warranty would not get the same service. I would bet money they won't have an issue selling you a different car.

As for expensive cars requiring expensive service, my BMW requires only yearly service which is usually just an oil change. Oil lasts for 25000kms or longer depending on the driving style and the dealer chargers $120 for the change. 7 liters of 0W40 and a filter will run you around $90 from CT so I don't see any room for theft there. They also detail the car inside and out.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:15 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Well I have cleaned out my car so I guess that means I'm going through with the purchase. I'm actually getting excited now for the first time.

It's a 2012 Camaro SS, inferno orange and it comes with a few bells and whistles. I was thinking of going to the V6 but gonna stick with what I've picked. I'm gonna have a fun summer!
Congratulations!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Go big or go home! Congrats
Old 06-28-2012, 02:31 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Congrats