Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:40 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
This is a very unfortunate lesson to learn, and a shame that integrity seems lost these days. I want to praise you reefgirl, I think you went about this post very respectfully and tastefully. Good for you for being the bigger person. All the while, reminding us of the sad fact that trust, integrity and honesty seems to evade some people, and that we need to be cautious.
Totally agreed. When I recently sold my light, I fully disclosed its condition. Blatant liars should be fully exposed. It's sad in our society when the buyer gets bashed for not being more cautious. Maybe people should just be more honest and show a little more integrity.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefOcean View Post
Buyer beware, but what do you want him to do if he responds? give you a refund?
Yes, that would be the right and honest thing to do. Or he can repair the unit to at least a working condition. I gave him both options in two seperate private PMs. Both went unanswered and so I decided to do the right thing and warn others who may be purchasing things from a *perhaps dishonest* seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefOcean View Post
It is the buyer's responsibility to get all the information before purchasing. If you requested pics of all the parts of the box this would have been avoided. Seriously,dust? before I sell my laptop or TV, I have to open it up and vacuum it? Just buy new and if you can't afford new, just do without it.
It's not dust, it's smoke residue from a blown transformer. The electronics are faulty. Again, not in the "great condition" that I was promised. This unit was sold in non-functioning condition although it was promised to be flawless. I buy 95% of my possesions gently used when I can and I save $1000's on the sticker prices because of it. I am a smart shopper. If you can afford to pay sticker price on everything you own that's great, but I have a family and a savings account to think about.

Now I can understand that you may be rich and can afford to be on WOW all day at LVL 158 and all that but your words on here are hurtful to me. For the seventh time now I am going to explain that this post is here to warn others to be careful. I know I've been hosed. You don't need to rub salt in the wounds. Have you ever been led to believe something only to find out it wasn't the truth? Have you ever been taken advantage of? If not I'd be mighty surprised.

There is nothing wrong with buying used equipment. If someone is willing to sell and someone is willing to buy then that is their choice. I understand buying used equipment is a risk and perhaps the hardware or livestock that we buy previously enjoyed may not be long lived but I have had great experiences in all other 9 transactions I have had on canreef and I am no noobie to the classified section. All other canreef members have advertised their items without dishonesty. All of them sold me items that were in the condition that they promised them to be in. This is only one bad experience but it should serve as a warning to others. Not a platform for debate.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

Buyer Beware of anybody defending the seller in this case as well.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:02 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_stir View Post
Buyer Beware of anybody defending the seller in this case as well.
+1

Remember you can rate users rep. I think this is something people forget.

I am going to rate now.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:39 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Reefgirl, don't put any value on what people defending dishonest people say as they are from the same mold. You are the better person for trusting others and should not change your nature. Most are great people to deal with on this forum and you should not be made to feel bad by others saying this is your fault for not assuming everyone is lying to you. Hopefully the seller will step up and do the right thing.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:48 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I think the title says it all, BUYER beware. You think you're the first to be disappointed with an internet sale? "Great Condition" is a matter of opinion, you should have obtained more information and pictures to justify your expectations prior to the sale. If it was in working condition and the owner didn't notice any of these issues (which is very likely the case) then his description may have been valid in his eyes.

I've had a fair share of disappointed purchases as well, recently over paid (IMO) for some items that were way smaller than expected but this my own fault and no different from your experience, I should have obtained more info and pictures but rather I quickly jumped on the chance of getting a "deal" as did you and therefore there are risks involved. People that take perfect care of there equipment do so to withhold the value, they won't likely then sell it for less than half retail.

We don't need a feedback system, this isn't ebay. The mods and director aren't here to protect you from bad purchases, that's not what the site is about. Take responsibly for your own actions, life is fall of risk and consequence.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:53 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

PS use PayPal for internet purchases, you can file a claim with then and 99% of the time the claim is rectified to a fair solution.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:58 PM

"BUYER beware" is a COP OUT, "SELLER bedecent" is the way it should be.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
+1

Remember you can rate users rep. I think this is something people forget.

I am going to rate now.
Where do you do that?
Old 04-01-2012, 04:03 PM

weyburnt is on a distinguished road

I have to say I always worry when I sell something used that this is the day it stops working, and I'm going to look like a jackass. However I'm pretty sure this seller realized this unit was on it's last legs, or didn't work at all. As well unless this seller dos'nt check the bored much, he is more than welcome to chime in and defend himself. And good on you for this post. You have made a good point, by all means post his username so other people know how he does business.
Closed Thread