Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-09-2002, 11:37 AM

Jayson is on a distinguished road
Default more clams dead

Reef Raf,

If you want a picture disk please contact me. If any body else wants one contact me as well. I use a sodium Nitrate it is basically a lab grade powder. It can sell for anywhere from $70-$150.00 for 500 grams. The purer the better as clams are sensitive to heavy metal poisioning. 5 parts of nitrate is harmless in a tank and will not affect sps. Some German aquarists are actually adding sodium nitrate to there tanks for sps growth!. Tony plumbing your tanks together would be a good idea if you did not want to add nitrate.I know how fast those clams dropped your levels in the past. a 7ppm spike is nothing to worry about. The only word of caution here is be careful as to what kind of chemical that you add. Some are pure and some are not as pure. the sodium nitare powder I use is 99.9993% pure.Make sure that you buy a powder and not crystals. Most hydroponics stores are no where near this. You do not have to add nitrate to your tank but if you want to keep alot of clams in optimal conditions you should maintain a higher level of nitrate(5ppm) as well as make sure that you have a good calcium level and iodine levels as well. We can survive for a month with out water and food but we do a hell of alot better eating 3 squares aday!