Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-06-2010, 05:44 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
The issue is giving TOYS with the meals. No one said the kids menu was going away or anything like that.

The point is that the TOY is what the kids want and the parents put better judgement aside for sake of the toy. While this may sound ridiculous to any decent parent, you'd be amazed how well the toy works in getting families to Mc D's for a Happy Meal.
I still don't understand the logic. you order a grilled cheese happy meal with sliced apples instead of fries and get a apple juice and a toy.. whats wrong with that?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
Umm, and drugs are illegal why?
cuz they screw you up.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 11-06-2010, 05:53 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
cuz they screw you up.

Steve
If that's true why isn't alcohol, cigarettes, prescription drugs and not educating your children illegal?
Old 11-06-2010, 05:55 PM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road

I'm feeling guilty, after claiming to be a cautious parent I just stopped by McDs on the way to my daughter's soccer practice. There was a billboard showing the breakfast burrito and I asked my daughter "Doesn't that look good?" she responded "yeahhhhh!". There wasn't even a toy involved just a promise of a high sodium high fat little vacation. She is burning it off at practice and I instead of going for a run am sitting here in the car on my laptop feeling completely satiated. It's not my fault I insist the seeds were planted 35 years ago when happy meals came in a cardboard box and the toys were actually pretty good rather than the latest movies marketing strategy.

I'll get over it.

Foxface, Naso, Coral Beauty, 2 Clowns, 2 Chromis, Orange Anthias, and Striped Goby.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
If that's true why isn't alcohol, cigarettes, prescription drugs illegal?
ok so percription drugs are a perscribed item that is regulated, and if you want to die from common infections or such don't take them. if they are a drug that impares you, you are actualy told not to drive or operate ect.. bla bla bla.. that one was a pretty silly one to put in your list.

cigaretts. different debate altogeather, lets just say there realy wasn';t much research befor the 70's as to the effect and they were highly sociably acceptable. now that there is more research on them and there effects they are making getting them more difficult. also there is a catch 22 here. cigerette companies give tarifs to the canadian medical system and alot of the goverment tax on smokes goes directly into health care. such alarge amount comes from cigerette sales that if they banned them tomorrow the health care system would be severly rocked. so they are doing a slower controled phase out to reduce the amount of people who start smoking through education. so far it is working great.. in the 70's there were survays that showed in excess of 70% of all canadians over ther age of 16 smoked, I think that number is down to the 40's now.

just think in Japan you can have a smoke while you eat your big mac

Alcohol is another tricky one. used responcible it is actualy no problem and infact a helth benifit, this is another one that has been around from the dark ages and is sociably acceptable so to just take it away would be suicide for any goverment. there is nothing wrong with consuming alcohol persay but rather the abuse of it.

in any rates there is no way you can compare drugs to any of these, the primary purpose of manufactured illicid drugs is to get you screwed up and to get you back for more. no benifit at all here for the person taking them. as for canibus and suchg.. there is no helth benifit from smoking it and its self is non adivctive, but people get addicted to the high (mental adiction instead of physical) but it comes down to why leagalize a mind altering substance which has no real benifit.

Steve

Old 11-06-2010, 07:32 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alcohol is another tricky one. used responcible it is actualy no problem and infact a benifit
I would love to discuss every point you just made but I have 2 mid terms on Wed. and don't feel like wasting my time trying to correct your highly thought out statements.

Last edited by Aquattro; 11-12-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: poor decision making...
Old 11-06-2010, 07:38 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Old 11-06-2010, 08:05 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
I still don't understand the logic. you order a grilled cheese happy meal with sliced apples instead of fries and get a apple juice and a toy.. whats wrong with that?

Steve
Nothing.

Since it would likely meet the guidelines, the toy is allowed.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:06 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO REALLY SPEND THEIR TIME TACKLING THIS AREA OF OUR FOOD CHAIN.
You can say that again !

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:17 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

@ Diver-Dude: Giving up Civil Liberties is a slippery slope, todays happy meal might very well be tomorrows "appropriate literature" and next weeks freedom of expression. Governments prove time and again that they do NOT know what's best for us.

@ Global Designs: Not too long ago I read an article (can't remember where) that suggested that the reason 7 year old girls are hitting puberty is higher body fat percentage. The study focused on children whose diet was similar but activity levels were different. They found that early puberty was hit most often by the less active children. There was also a CBC documentary which set out to justify or dispel the higher cost and health benefits of organic food. Short version is lab tests found no difference in the chemical levels of supermarket meat and "organic" meat. Consumers also couldn't taste a difference if they weren't told which was the organic and which was implanted beef.

As a note on the smoking debate, what the anti-smoking lobby doesn't want people to know is that smokers cost the health care system less. Non-smokers live longer and the costs to keep them alive into their nineties is astronomical compared to a smoker who dies at 70. Plus, the gov makes a nice tax revenue off of smokers. I am completely in favour of non-smoking legislation in buildings, pubs, restauraunts etc. But if someone wants to puff away and kick off early... that's their business.