Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-06-2011, 11:53 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

7" isnt really all that impressive...........remember....they say it doesnt, but size does matter

Dude......your gonna be hard pressed to find any kind of suitable "tankmate/snack"......Laurie and I watched a show where a scorpion fish ate a lionfish!.......yes a lionfish!.....they are capable of eating a fish that is 2/3 length....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 AM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentcivilian View Post
Yup, thats my ugly duckling that for some odd reason makes me feel like my tank is that much more complete. I love that I managed to pick him up!
Just checking but you do know how dangerous he is, right? (and not necessarily to his tankmates!)

Last edited by nlreefguy; 07-07-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: poor choice of words!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:46 AM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
7" isnt really all that impressive...........remember....they say it doesnt, but size does matter

Dude......your gonna be hard pressed to find any kind of suitable "tankmate/snack"......Laurie and I watched a show where a scorpion fish ate a lionfish!.......yes a lionfish!.....they are capable of eating a fish that is 2/3 length....
There are a few good candidates im looking for. But my foxface was almost swallowed whole, I think his venom saved him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlreefguy View Post
Just checking but you do know how dangerous he is, right? (and not necessarily to his tankmates!)
I realise how dangerous it is. Painful enough that some people request their affected area to be removed, can kill a full grown human in under 2 hours. How ever the treatment is simple. Because it is a protein based venom, it would be denatured by heat. So recommended treatment even over anti-venom is heat. Over 45C degrees will simply break it down.

Also, they are completely lazy, ive fed him by hand last time, you pretty much would have to grind your hand into him to anger him.

Last edited by silentcivilian; 07-07-2011 at 04:00 AM. Reason: foul language
Old 07-13-2011, 12:46 AM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentcivilian View Post
There are a few good candidates im looking for. But my foxface was almost swallowed whole, I think his venom saved him.

I realise how dangerous it is. Painful enough that some people request their affected area to be removed, can kill a full grown human in under 2 hours. How ever the treatment is simple. Because it is a protein based venom, it would be denatured by heat. So recommended treatment even over anti-venom is heat. Over 45C degrees will simply break it down.

Also, they are completely lazy, ive fed him by hand last time, you pretty much would have to grind your hand into him to anger him.
Do you plan on testing your theory? lol Then you can test your heat theory too! haha Seriously though, good luck with your tank man, interesting fish selection.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlreefguy View Post
Do you plan on testing your theory? lol Then you can test your heat theory too! haha Seriously though, good luck with your tank man, interesting fish selection.
Well, I consulted two experts in the area.

1st expert is the well known National Geographic - http://youtu.be/7aLt5gxwTx8

Second link was invalueable for determining the level of pain id be in.

http://youtu.be/qenzQaXM6Pw

As for selections, I have to say, there is somthing about the fish, im not sure what, but ive always had a facination for the creepy crawly fish. When I saw it in the store I was like ill sit on this one for a bit.. a month later was still there, so I started selling stuff and moving stuff out. After 3 months of being in the store I figured he was waiting for me. So without further hesitation, picked him and a eel up and made it official that I was going predator.

So ive heard my "Welcome to the Darkside" package is in the mail courtesy of the big V himself welcoming me to the club.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:19 AM

Ok.. update.

So, first off, sump is now fully setup and been running for 4 days without a leak. Awesome! Not bad for a jim rig job.. ill have pictures later of the true level of ghetto ive achieved. As for those who didnt hear by word of mouth, had it set up for 48 hours and then a intake line snapped in half.

Next, I had a lionfish.. but it didnt like my moray.. and love to sit on my stonefish.. so as I favour those two far over a lion.. he is gone.. he didnt make friends, so bye bye.. Another store has taken him in, and will love him, and nuture him in a tank full of lions, and he will become more loveable im sure.

I tried another tank mate as well. A 6" long chubby Harlequin Tuskfish. That lasted two hours before he became a sub $100 snack. And! I missed it.. at least if I had seen the lion take out the tusk, it would have been some what worth it.. but no such luck.. just missed it all together.

So I took some pictures tonight, so lets take a peek!

So lets play the game of find the stonefish

Future plans, Looking to get some more scorpions in the tank.. at least one more kind. Im kinda loving the pictures ive been finding of the raggy scorpion..as seen here click and here Click and here Click.

As for the daytime portion, I have a huge nest of Jasmine poylps, green star poylps. So like looking to add some cloves on the last section and just kinda let them take over. As always, look for more dendros in small colony's that I can add too. Considering a trigger too, but going to wait awhile till I can track down more scorps and let the puffer get used to the tank. As for swiming fish, its him and my cleaner wrasse of 2 years.

So im working on collection videos of feeding everyone, right now have a good one of the eel.. working on puffer and stoney.. but when I get all 3. ill post all 3 feeding.

Last edited by silentcivilian; 07-23-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:37 AM

Whole new video.

Enjoy people

Youtube link right here
Old 07-24-2011, 01:33 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Cool vid Kody...... Btw RC got in a whack of dendros
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 07-24-2011, 02:02 PM

I hate you.. ill be in as soon as I can...
Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 AM

So its been a week or so since I posted, but its now been almost 2 weeks with the puffer, and I wanted to share some photos of the tank and the puffer, get any comments, ideas and feelings on my tank.

And Doug, ill be in for Dendros soon.. they looked buggered due to a tank error when I was in.. so didnt want to blind buy $90 of Dendros that werent coming out.

Now ive been contimplating for sometime what to get for other fish.. I have 3 LFS in my city on scorp hunt for me, a shop in town just got 2 orange toadfish in (not eating yet) and I do want to either do a Majestic Foxface or a bluethroat trigger.

Feelings?
Ideas on my tank and livestock?
Comments?

Thanks!