Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-12-2010, 09:54 AM

Dolf is on a distinguished road

The tank builders have been mentioned, so I have no names to add. I did, however, stop by Elite a few days back. I had a few minutes and was driving by- so I thought I would look at the livestock. Instead I spent the whole visit drooling over the tanks that were sitting on the floor. The attention to detail, the beveling of the surfaces and yes, the one piece euro braces were amazing. The other shops mentioned do fine work as well and I would not hesitate to buy a tank from most small shops as the owners will do what is necessary to make you happy. Having said that, some of the features that I saw on those tanks are not (as far as I know) available from other builders and it is actually worth stopping in just to see them and look at the features.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr OM View Post
Are they still using shower doors for the bottoms of tanks?
LOL we have some terrariums that are 1 way glass all the way around or dark tint. We didnt order them like that either.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:47 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Geez.....for a couple shops that dont wanna pay to advertise here they sure dont mind when they get it free.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 03-12-2010, 01:53 PM

Rahim101 is on a distinguished road

removed

Last edited by Aquattro; 03-12-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: non vendor
Old 03-12-2010, 02:59 PM

kaboom is on a distinguished road

You're right, no more shower doors. Just a hugh headache and lots of frustration. I got Mitch to build me a 300g, what a mistake. I thought since Rahim had joined the team that things would improve, but not the case. Every few days I would call and Mitch he would give me a different excuse as to why it's delayed. When I finally got my tank, the overflow dimension was incorrect and there was an 1" chip in one pane. Other than that the tank was build fine. The price was the main attration to using Bow Valley,

Last edited by Chin_Lee; 03-12-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: edited for facts only
Old 03-12-2010, 06:00 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

I've learned the hard way a few times... You get what you pay for 99.9% of the time.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 PM

burtonpj48 is on a distinguished road

I had my 1st tank built by golds, I considered the nice shop and the amount of business that went thru the shop. I made that mistake. I requested starphire front, but didnt get it. Too many air bubbles within the seams. Also the edges of the glass are rough not polished. The glass it self is very thick. I met a person who had thier tank made by gary, the person who builds for red coral and ocean city. Its better than bow valley, but also there are some imperfetions such as bubbles within the seams. The next time i have a tank built, i would go to elite, Its nice they can display the product on the floor so you can see what you are getting. The tanks there are very nice. smooth lines and edges, seams are nice and clean. If price is not an issue!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonpj48 View Post
I had my 1st tank built by golds, I considered the nice shop and the amount of business that went thru the shop. I made that mistake. I requested starphire front, but didnt get it. Too many air bubbles within the seams. Also the edges of the glass are rough not polished. The glass it self is very thick. I met a person who had thier tank made by gary, the person who builds for red coral and ocean city. Its better than bow valley, but also there are some imperfetions such as bubbles within the seams. The next time i have a tank built, i would go to elite, Its nice they can display the product on the floor so you can see what you are getting. The tanks there are very nice. smooth lines and edges, seams are nice and clean. If price is not an issue!
You will always get some bubbles, in the seams. My tank, from Elite, has some... As long as the seams are strong, no worries. When they delivered mine, there was also some damage (can't say it was there in the store or from delivery), but it was the back corner. It was chipped away, not enough to be a structural problem. I just put some crazy glue on it to clean it up some. It has been almost 2 years with no issues.

I think all tank builders have their pros and cons, and everyone can probably say something negative about all. Best bet is to do your research see some examples and make your selection from there.

As most know, I majorly dislike Colby @ elite, as he ripped me off too many times before I started to smartin up and so many other things. But I will commend him and more Jayson for the quality of tanks they produce. I will eventually want another tank, would love to have another from him, but of course refuse to give him anymore money. So I don't know what I will do, maybe build my own?

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 03-13-2010, 09:46 AM

Fragzilla is on a distinguished road

I agree that Elite's tanks have very nice details, but there is a HUGE cost for the CNC machining. I priced out my new tank through Elite and it was 3-4 times the cost of Golds. With the way my tank is set up I wanted 2 of the edges to be beveled and polished, I got what I asked for.

Sitting on the shop floor Elite's tanks look great, but IMO once the tank is set up I doesn't justifiy the extra cost.

FYI - gary build the tanks for Golds. When/if I am looking for another tank I wouldn't even shop anywhere else.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:40 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Wow I think we have a mystery on our hands! Who builds tanks for Golds?? Does anybody really know?!