Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 PM

TheMikey is on a distinguished road

My apologies if I missed this, but what are the dimensions to your tank and what color combo are you running with your bulbs?

Quite honestly, a TEK 6-Bulb fixture should be more than enough light to your tank, especially with anything within the first 16" of the top of your water. If you're concerned about colour, you may have to do some dosing. There's a great thread in the Reef Chemistry forum on RC that tells you what do dose to boost specific colours...

I just can't find it right now >: (
Old 02-04-2010, 10:40 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

I'll take a look. In terms of color, i am getting decent color right now. (lol if you saw my tank you would know how picky i am) My blues are nicely blue, reds are doing decent. As for bulbs I am switching them up tomorrow to try something out. This is my current combo, front - back:

AS 22,000k
GE actinc+
AS Duo
KZ Reef Blue (the new 22,000k bulb from KZ)
AS Duo
AS 22,000k

Tomorrow it will be:

Current USA pure actinic
AS Duo
KZ new gen
AS 22,000k
KZ New gen
AS 22,000k

or something on those lines. I have never ran a pure actinic and am wondering if this is what will make me happy with my "fake color" but i am also adding in the new gens to see how growth is.

My biggest issue with growth was under skimming/no skimming. My old skimmer was good but it needed to be cleaned every week. At the beginning of Decemeber i replaced it with a euro-reef rs-80 and it has been nothing but acceptional and growth has increased. I'm going to try this lower kelvin set up one more time to see the difference in growth and than i will decide what i want to do. I do think the skimming issue was my issue with growth judging on the increase in the past 2 months. But the last time i dropped my kelvin (just in general) i lost color.

Maybe i will give it one more go with T5's and the Tek fixture. But come summer i do plan on replacing my lighting
Old 02-05-2010, 10:31 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Well i have come to the conclusion that I am WAY to picky when it comes to the colors of my corals. Basically i think i may have to start looking into dosing soon