Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-30-2010, 05:51 PM

Norstar is on a distinguished road

Nope, not me. I'd rather buy some aquarium gear and get some use out of my money.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Not me either. Not willing to spend that kind of money on something that will be out-of-date as soon as they add new features, like camera, slots, multitasking, etc.

Anthony
Old 01-30-2010, 09:00 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

I can see the addition of a camera in the near future but not slots. That's not Apple's way. Multitasking will just be a software update.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 PM
R.I.P.

pinhead is on a distinguished road

A lot of hype but not exactly the revolutionary device that Jobs suggested. It seems like a lot of people are underwhelmed with it because Apple's stock has dropped close to $20 since it spiked hours after Wednesdays announcement.

If you are waiting for iPad v2.0 to come out and add a camera, multitasking, usb etc. you may not have heard of a device that I would wait for before I put money into an iPad - the courier.

Have a look at the 2 videos http://gizmodo.com/5365299
especially the one on the right sidebar.

Projected cost $600 and release mid-year.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:25 AM

Microsoft will never release anything as good as what the Courier concept video looks like. And certainly not by mid year. Sorry, they are incapable. Any Microsoft tablet will be based on Windows and will not work anywhere near as well as Apple's. I think the iPad will prove to be revolutionary as it is the first large screen touch interface mobile computing device like the ones that used to be science fiction. Apple's multitouch is much better then any other available right now and they have put alot of thought into the interface. And there are already 140,000 touch apps available for it. Granted the scaled up graphics won't look as beautiful but they do appear to be usable and decent. And just wait for iPad specific apps to start showing up to really show what it will do. If the iPad iWork is any indication then this will be one of the most intuitive and easy to use computer platforms ever.

I know it sounds like I am a raving iFan but I'm not a blind follower. Yes it should have multitasking but I am fairly certain that is an OS 4.0 feature we will see this summer. A camera should probably have been included but they probably omitted it to meet the aggressive price points. That was probably a bit of a mistake as they could have included it and upped the price $50. Otherwise I don't really see anything missing or wrong with it. You have to put a bit of thought into what the potential of the device is and the potential uses. it is not meant to replace a full on laptop if you need that horsepower or you need to do alot of keyboard input. But for the vast majority of people it will have more than enough capability to let them easily and intuitively do what they want to in a lightweight and portable package. It think it blows any netbook away as most netbook users buy them to surf the net, check email etc. on the go. All things I think the iPad will do as well or better than a netbook.

You have to put on your thinking cap and imagine the potential usefulness of this and some of the yet to be introduced apps and features and then I think you will see the potential for another revolution in mobile computing. I think Steve Jobs, despite his quirks, has a very clear vision of how to make technology work well and be accessible to the masses. He is a perfectionist who fixates over every detail. Just look at what the iPod/iTunes store did for music and what the iPhone did for mobile phones. They have a pretty good track record so far.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 AM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Not me either. Not willing to spend that kind of money on something that will be out-of-date as soon as they add new features, like camera, slots, multitasking, etc.

Anthony
Also built in battery that can't be changed easily [ie. have to send into apple]

Cheers,
Vic
Old 02-01-2010, 04:59 PM

I think this is an interesting view that agrees with my thoughts:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1460...ure_shock.html
Old 02-01-2010, 05:46 PM
R.I.P.

pinhead is on a distinguished road

The previous post may be the opinion of one Apple fan but the industry seems to be universally underwhelmed by the iPad as evidenced by its stock decline since the 27th.

Who knows what their opinion will be once the reviewers actually get their hands on it and it is released to the public.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
The previous post may be the opinion of one Apple fan but the industry seems to be universally underwhelmed by the iPad as evidenced by its stock decline since the 27th.

Who knows what their opinion will be once the reviewers actually get their hands on it and it is released to the public.

And the stockmarket always knows best?

I think time will tell but I see the exact same thing that happened with the iPod and iPhone happening with the iPad. Everybody criticized and focussed on the negatives when they were announced but both changed technology and their industries. Let's wait and see but my prediction is that the iPad will be a game changer.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I think the next version will be a game changer but this first iPad will make some happy, will be ok for the majority of buyers, and will greatly disappoint quite a number of buyers. Will it live up to the hype? Probably not V.1. V.2 probably will, but that doesn't help all these First Adopters who end up with an expensive new "toy" that will be outdated in only a few short months.

The way I sort of see it is that the iPad is not targeted at the business market. It's targeted more at a younger audience who has grown up with iPods and iPhones and are looking for something more versatile than a Netbook, but not needing a full laptop.

If they develop wireless file transfers from people's digital cameras and such, then having no slots of memory cards or a built-in camera becomes less important in the decision-making process.

I don't see much logic (from a market share point of view) of Apple developing iPad into a full-on replacement for their laptops. Why steal customers from one division to create sales in another division of the same company? However, if it can create a niche market for itself, then it can win market share from non-traditional, non-Apple laptop customers. I think they are targeting iPhone customers who want to love their devices but want to do more on a larger screen. Get these customers to fork out hundreds of dollars for constantly improved new models like they already do with their iPhones & iPods.

If Apple is able to sign exclusive contracts with major book, textbook, and journal publishers to be the sole providers of the eBook version of their publications, then this will be a game-changer. Imagine how many college and university students will buy one so that they don't have to constant buy & lug around heavy print textbooks. Imagine how many professionals will want one to download and read countless journals and eNewspapers to stay up-to-date and informed. Adding this exclusive feature (and stealing it away from Amazon) would greatly change people's perception of the iPad from a cool new "toy" (like a big iPhone) to a necessary, everyday tool that will pay for itself in convenience, cost-savings, and other advantages.

Sorry for the essay.

Anthony