Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 01-04-2010, 08:26 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Small update on bio pellets.

Just to reiterate, i have a fare share of SPS and all are in good color and growth, no real algae problem.
I don't use ZEO so still waiting for a "mulm" to develop.

The only noticeable and welcomed effect i can report is water clarity and even better polyp extension.
On the pellets themselves (they are in TLF reactor) i don't see any changes just some air bubbles and some dark spots forming (bacteria?)
Old 01-05-2010, 04:33 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Got my pellets today. I placed the outflow line from the reactor up to the bulkhead strainer that feeds the skimmer pump, so virtually all the effluent should go to the skimmer. Now to wait and watch.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 AM

BC Mosaic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Got my pellets today. I placed the outflow line from the reactor up to the bulkhead strainer that feeds the skimmer pump, so virtually all the effluent should go to the skimmer. Now to wait and watch.
Just curious as to why you placed your outflow there instead of the return pump to the DT? That's what I did because your way I would think that the skimmer is removing your good mulm as well as the bad stuff from your tank.

Your reactor is a ?

I'm using a Phosban Reactor 150 and I noticed that the sponges (both top & bottom ones) are getting gummed up. Did I not clean it well enough prior to this use or is that the "good mulm"? Any of you guys have this same experience?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 12:33 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Mosaic View Post
Just curious as to why you placed your outflow there instead of the return pump to the DT? That's what I did because your way I would think that the skimmer is removing your good mulm as well as the bad stuff from your tank.

Your reactor is a ?

I'm using a Phosban Reactor 150 and I noticed that the sponges (both top & bottom ones) are getting gummed up. Did I not clean it well enough prior to this use or is that the "good mulm"? Any of you guys have this same experience?

Thanks

I read on their web site that they recommend the outflow from the reactor be placed before the skimmer to limit the amount of bacteria entering the system.
I am using the pellets in a Bulk Reef Supply reactor. It's only been running for a few days and I have no mulm yet.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:41 AM

BC Mosaic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I read on their web site that they recommend the outflow from the reactor be placed before the skimmer to limit the amount of bacteria entering the system. ......
I guess I forgot or missed that part. Will rearrange both my systems right now.

Thanks for doing this.
Cheers
Old 01-08-2010, 06:22 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Week 3 start

So, I said I was going to just take readings every Sunday from now on but yesterday was day 14 and I couldn't help myself, I just had to knoooooooow.

So, day 14 readings: NO3=10

So all in all, the nitrate reduction continues.

The mulm production is insane, the reactor becomes milky white after agitation. A lot of it is getting skimmed out I think, the skimmate production doesn't seem to be faster but the skimmate is much darker than before.

Also I'm having to swap out my filter socks (100 micron) roughly twice as often as before. Before it was once a week, now it's easily twice a week.

So the stuff is definitely there in the water column, but luckily I don't see it as particulate. It would be really interesting to see how SPS would react to it, if they would have greater PE or not. The gorgs in my tank don't seem much changed but they are being pestered by butterflies so I am not getting full expansion on some anyhow.

Last edited by Delphinus; 01-19-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Your experiences seem to be mirroring what many others are noticing with these Bio pellets. They seem to be holding true to what they are intended to accomplish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
So, I said I was going to just take readings every Sunday from now on but yesterday was day 14 and I couldn't help myself, I just had to knoooooooow.

So, day 14 readings: NO3=10

So all in all, the nitrate reduction continues.

The mulm production is insane, the reactor becomes milky white after agitation. A lot of it is getting skimmed out I think, the skimmate production doesn't seem to be faster but the skimmate is much darker than before.

Also I'm having to swap out my filter socks (100 micron) roughly twice as often as before. Before it was once a week, now it's easily twice a week.

So the stuff is definitely there in the water column, but luckily I don't see it as particulate. It would be really interesting to see how SPS would react to it, if they would have greater PE or not. The gorgs in my tank don't seem much changed but they are being pestered by butterflies so I am not getting full expansion on some anyhow.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:47 PM

geobee is on a distinguished road
Default ?

On their website I didn't notice any recommended flowrate through this media. Are there any specifics on this
Old 01-08-2010, 06:04 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I'm going with the zeovit suggestion for zeolites of 100gph per 100g of tank (115g tank and using a 100gph powerhead which is slowed down some because it's lifting water into the reactor which is 24" tall).

I'm not sure there's a hard and fast science to it though. My recommendation is "not too slow and not too fast." Yeah I know that's not very definitive but that really is sort of how I approach it though! Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:26 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

I think you want the pellets gently tumbling a little to make sure no anaerobic areas develop. Other than that I don't think there is really a recommended flow rate. I guess it depends on your reactor etc. I have a ball valve on the tube from my pump to the reactor to fine tune it so the pellets move just a little.