Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-23-2009, 03:19 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Keep in mind most of that plumbing was mine as you enjoy 'playtime'.
Normally I would jump right in and say something here possibly inappropriate and completely out of context but I think this one has been beat to death..

anyway.. You're making wicked progress here. Wish I had that kind of time.. Envious!
Old 12-23-2009, 06:17 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Ohhh.... my god... LMAO. You two are wayyy too funny.

Hey Brett at least you aren't 'my dad' like Ed seemed to swing

And Thanks Kien! The joys of the HOLIDAY between school semesters... haha. I am hoping to have most of the tank's plumbing done tonight. Again i've managed to push back the plumbing of the supply line (I think because im going to have to climb around on ladders running piping through the ceiling for that one). The wall should be at least primed tomorrow. I think I MIGHT have to go buy more plumbing tomorrow... AGAIN, lol. (This would make the 10th time I purchase plumbing for this tank).

Off to do more plumbing of the aquarium again. (yes, emphasis placed on plumbing an aquarium).

Cheers,

Chris
Old 12-23-2009, 09:05 AM

Ok so tonight I ALMOST finished dry plumbing the whole tank (just had one line to connect a horizontal run to a long vertical) and I ran out of darn 1" pipe! That includes the stuff from Brett and the stuff I bought. Gah... Which means another plumbing shopping trip tomorrow. I still need a bit more 1" to finish the drain line from my 'waterchange bin' under the tank. I do however have a pile of 1.5" Pipe leftover now. Will use some on the next build once im done this lol. I have been trying to 're-use' most of the plumbing I got with the tank, hence the mixture of Sch40 and Sch80. I am starting to think it might take too much time to spray all the white stuff back. I dont think it looks all that pooey.

Also, got some white egg-crate cut to size, sprayed black, and siliconed into place in the overflow, and finally put in the little stand and drilled the bin and stand for the bulkhead for the drain. Part of the drain line (outside the stand) for this is plumbed.

On to the pics:

(I know it looks like theres a gap in the silicone behind the overflow/just under the eggcrate, but I figured out that it is just my clumsy smearing of silicon on the front of it causing a reflection. Will clean that up tomorrow.)

So thats where im at.

Tomorrow - I have plans but during the morning will squeeze in some work on the wall (maybe primer?), get the rest of the plumbing (hopefully the last! ), and finish the dry-plumb later tomorrow night. Also, spray (black) the styrofoam backing I will be installing across the entire back to provide some insulation from the window (although these new triple pane windows are unbelievable, such little temp loss!). Im just worried about drafts hitting the back of the tank. It will be about 12" from the window's wall in it's final position.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Funky_Fish14; 12-23-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Wow you've been busy! So the manifold now controls your 4 returns?

I see the 10 gallon never made it into the plans. Was it too STANK to both cleaning up?

I forgot about the 30 feet of 1" pvc in my basement. oops! Road trip?
Old 12-24-2009, 10:08 AM

Yes, the manifold will control the 4 returns (heres hoping my pump can actually push that! ). The Tee almost right off the pump in the stand will empty water into buckets or into the white bin to drain if I wish to drain from the sump (Which I probably will do, cause then I can clean all the media out in the sump which would be awesome!

The 10 gallon... ...during the unloading process someone unclipped a strap around the sliding doors and they both crashed down smashing into the plumbing sticking off the 10... exploded the front of it. I was more worried the tile doors broke... but holy damn Brett... those 9000lb doors are bullet proof! Unfortunately the 10g was not. Lol. I'll get a new front for it sometime, but I'll have to re-drill holes as well.

Haha no man keep it for your next build!

Today... 0 progress... I slept in, then spent 2hrs plowing the driveway cause of last night's beautiful snowfall, lol. After that I already had plans in town. Merry Christmas to everyone! (since it is now technically Christmas Eve!)

PS. Sorry the plumbing looks so ugly. Nothing is exactly lined up (no glue yet, still have to 'slide' (more like kill-self-while trying to slide 800lbs, will need help) the system into place. I think the 'contents' will probably move so I dont want to commit yet. Also, I am now unsure of whether I want to spray all the white stuff black or not. Its going to be a pain.

Thanks for looking!

Chris
Old 12-24-2009, 04:47 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I wouldn't bother painting the plumbing. Yeah, it looks cool, but usually the focus of the tank shouldn't be the plumbing anyhow. I guess if you have an open top tank in a display area like Brett had it's one thing to not have it stick out but if the pipes are hidden from general view then I wouldn't sweat it. Just my $0.02 though..
Old 12-24-2009, 08:51 PM

Yeah.... Tank will be 12" from wall though so we'll see. I may spray some of it, the stuff flanking the edges.

The wall is primed, woot! Will be doing more today!

Cheers, and Merry Christmas!

Chris
Old 01-13-2010, 04:11 AM

Okie dokie... I think I've delayed enough! Happy New year to everyone (since this is an 'old news' thread now, haha).

I really haven't accomplished much since Christmas. Relaxed, visited family, did fun stuff like this:

Over the break I did slide it 'almost' into place as well, and the wall did get finished. Baseboards later after we get a floor. I'll let the pics do the talking. And since two people cannot move this thing alone... I hope you like what I decided to do with the floor to move it :P Im including a picture of what krylon spraypaint does to styrofoam.

Since the pictures, I put the doors on and have slowly been spraying and glueing plumbing. I'll have to get some more pics (and progress done) soon. Once the plumbing is all glued and styrofoam back installed... I have to slide it back 10", level it, and start fillin'!

Thanks for looking,

Chris
Old 01-13-2010, 05:03 AM

Chase31 is on a distinguished road

Looks interesting will be watching
Old 01-13-2010, 05:15 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Wow great idea! Not quite as impressive as my seated legpress into the wall but cool all the same. So are you flooring around the tank or lag bolting into the ceiling and lifting that pile of sexy?