Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-16-2008, 06:34 AM

Stones is on a distinguished road

Very nice setup! I'm a big fan of the new marineland deep dimension series and yours is the first one I've seen in action.

I also see that you are running a wavebox in your tank and was wondering how you overcame the constant flushing sound accompanied by the water level rising and falling into your tanks dual overflows. I'm assuming you are using a herbie style system but I'd like to know just how you would do that with 2 overflows at the ends of your aquarium.

I'm really considering one of these tanks for when I upgrade but was concerned about the noise my wavebox would generate with overflows at both ends of the tank. I have a hard enough time adjusting my herbie overflow in a AGA megaflow overflow which is located just off center of the tank, let alone 2 overflows that are located where the wave height/water level would fluctuate the most due to the wavebox.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:38 PM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stones View Post
Very nice setup! I'm a big fan of the new marineland deep dimension series and yours is the first one I've seen in action.

I also see that you are running a wavebox in your tank and was wondering how you overcame the constant flushing sound accompanied by the water level rising and falling into your tanks dual overflows. I'm assuming you are using a herbie style system but I'd like to know just how you would do that with 2 overflows at the ends of your aquarium.

I'm really considering one of these tanks for when I upgrade but was concerned about the noise my wavebox would generate with overflows at both ends of the tank. I have a hard enough time adjusting my herbie overflow in a AGA megaflow overflow which is located just off center of the tank, let alone 2 overflows that are located where the wave height/water level would fluctuate the most due to the wavebox.
It is a little on the noisy side but the wavebox is adjustable for duration and intensity, If I set it to do a double wave it is quieter but is not intense enough, I dont really notice the noise as it is built into the wall and I insulated the service room behind. I am using the stock overflows and returns that came with the tank and my only real complaint is the returns, they have a antisiphon hole drilled in them that sprays water everywhere (remedied by securing a piece of floss in front of the hole) I would reccomend the deep tank to anyone they are some impressive all set up, pics just dont do it justice.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

A really nice tank...these Marineland are in my LFS and they are really impressive to look at. Do you feel that the Starfire makes a big difference?

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
A really nice tank...these Marineland are in my LFS and they are really impressive to look at. Do you feel that the Starfire makes a big difference?
I wouldn't have thought a piece of glass would be that big a deal but now that I see the difference I will never buy another large tank without the starfire glass. If you look at the edge you can see out the other end clear as day! and that is six feet. It almost looks like there is no glass at all, just some invisible force holding the water in, it was well worth the extra cash, glad I went that road.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:38 PM

First new addition to the tank since the big move

Just a tiny little fella, about 2", went straight to work picking at the live rock so it should be a nice addition.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:07 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish55 View Post
First new addition to the tank since the big move

Just a tiny little fella, about 2", went straight to work picking at the live rock so it should be a nice addition.
Aaw...little cutie.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:36 PM

ColinD is on a distinguished road

Very nice!! How are you Powell Riverites dealing with getting livestock, equip, and the like? Must be a lot of pre-planning if you're bringing livestock back from the LM. Don't know how many times I've gotten into Saltrey Bay just to see the last ferry pulling away for the night.

Maybe I can set up a tour when I'm out visiting the in-laws in the spring?

Colin
Old 12-20-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinD View Post
Very nice!! How are you Powell Riverites dealing with getting livestock, equip, and the like? Must be a lot of pre-planning if you're bringing livestock back from the LM. Don't know how many times I've gotten into Saltrey Bay just to see the last ferry pulling away for the night.

Maybe I can set up a tour when I'm out visiting the in-laws in the spring?

Colin
Most of the time I try to buy local (there is one shop in town that deals saltwater) otherwise I pick up livestock when I am in the city, on occasion I will fly stuff up (have an order right now with coralmaster, he is going to overnight it to Van and then my sister is going to put it on the plane for me) my door is allways open to fellow fish nuts! drop me a line next time you are in town.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:39 AM

buddyreefer is on a distinguished road

Damn nice tank dave, really like the trim work, and you were'nt kidding when u said the starfire was clear lol!! ur skimmer in the back looks crystal clear.!!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:37 AM

Latest additions, in total I have added 60 new frags in the last two months, hopefully these grow into some nice specimens.