Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-09-2008, 04:57 PM

argan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to argan

How is the house hunting in kamloops going? or are you going to set this tank up in Victoria?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:44 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by argan View Post
How is the house hunting in kamloops going? or are you going to set this tank up in Victoria?
I am building it here, don't know if it will be set up here or not.

We are keeping an eye on the market up there, won't be serious till we hear when the wife is getting her transfer.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:15 AM

Ok, so new input needed. I am trying to figure out what return pump to go with but here are my requirements.

1) Has to be real quiet (I have used mag drives and Mark4's before and they are not quiet enough.

2) Has to be an external pump (want to minimize heat transfer to the tank)

3) I want about 600gph flow at 5 feet of head.

another option I was thinking about was selling my brand new tunze nano and the used tunze 6060 and getting a reeflow pump. the problem is they put out about 2400 gph so I figured I could drill the tank with about 3 bulkheads on each end and use adjustable nozzles to create my flow in the tank, but then I woke up and realized that my three 3/4" bulkheads would never handle this kind of flow.. I was all excited for a minit or 400 and was ready to run down and buy a diamond hole saw for 1.5" and 1/2" bulkheads. so back to the original idea .

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 12-21-2008, 01:44 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

You could always run a Reeflo Snapper and just dial it down... They are adjustable down to 350gph.. Super quiet, external, Great pumps... What more could you ask for..

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 12-21-2008, 02:14 AM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Did you figure out lights? I have a used 250w single end retrofit unit and also a old but never used Dupla 2X250w double end I would be willing to part with. Also a 2x55w PC retrofit unit. Let me know, cheers.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:20 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Eheim 1260 or 1262 - probably more like the 1262 if you want 600 GPH but based on all reports on the 1260 and 1262 they run considerably stronger than other pumps that are supposed to produce the same output at the same head pressure.

Here are the performance curves for the 1260 and 1262:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...Supplies&tab=1

Cheaper than a Snapper, draws fewer watts, smaller foot print, is German made, and meets your criteria without being excessively oversized and wasting money having to dial it down.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"

Last edited by Canadian; 12-21-2008 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
You could always run a Reeflo Snapper and just dial it down... They are adjustable down to 350gph.. Super quiet, external, Great pumps... What more could you ask for..
How do you adjust them down?

Steve

Old 12-21-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post

Cheaper than a Snapper, draws fewer watts, smaller foot print, is German made, and meets your criteria without being excessively oversized and wasting money having to dial it down.
they are an expensive pump for what your getting though. You guys got to stop telling me german made, I am german and I tend to stay way from german made stuff. doesn't mean good quality because it is german made.

Steve

Old 12-21-2008, 03:57 PM

Has anyone tried a "quiet one pump" they have some that are right where I want and at a very good price, but what is there longevity like?

Steve

Old 12-21-2008, 04:27 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I have a quiet one 3000 in my overflow running closed loop. It's pretty quiet. A little vibration noise form hittng the side of t5he overflow. But can only hear it if I shut my MAG350 sump return off LOLIm not buying the MAG series any more. If I need a Mag drive pump, QuietOne it is. Been running for almost a year now no troubles.

Umm, a tank or 5