Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-24-2008, 05:24 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I was hoping you'd chime in here, Albert! Thanks everyone for the comments. I will let you know how things progress. I think getting the TDS issue under control will definitely help (duh...I know better).

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 PM

Patrick1 is on a distinguished road

Yeah Albert helped me with the same problem. It took a couple of weeks to get it sorted out. I have tried a few other methods on my other tanks but nothing worked for me like zeo. Honestly as some one who has gone through a bad start to zeo I can honestly say. It was never the system it was the user.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:39 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
You're missing the point here. There's a huge difference between your average tank and an ultra low nutrient tank (ULN).

Anyone can run GAC, GFO and O3 and get a decent - good looking tank. Probiotic tanks, however, are on a whole different level. Take a look at the Interzoo pictures; the colors are AMAZING!. I friend of mine just came back from there and his comments went along the line of "Yeah, you know that new program? The new photoshop that you install on your fish tank instead of your computer? Yeah, they used it on those corals there.

Speaking of colors and ULN systems, you know what never fails to amaze me, people always talk about how pastel European corals look and never pause to consider the fact that pastel colors are some of the hardest to maintain. It's easy to have a super metallic Green Slimer or a deep, deep Red Robin Millepora, but someone out there pick up a Baby Blue Gemmifera and keep it looking like over 20 generations in the same (non-ULN tank) and I'll show you an unusually talented aquarist!

As far as the ocean not using Zeo? No, not in the way imagine it doesn't, but there are bacterial processes happening there that you will not be able to replicate using GAC, GFO and O3. Trust me, Zeovit is about as close to the Ocean as a reef tank gets, my friend. This keeping in mind that the ocean ISN'T a closed system like our tanks either.

That's how you run a normal tank. It's not how you get a ULN tank.

I don't agree with SUV's being allowed on the road, but I don't like SMART cars either. I'm also not a huge fan of the silent Jihad that's slowly permeating our society. I also am of the mind that tax dollars going to fund safety injection centers is an absolute crock of Donkey Dung =P That's my Opinion, haha.

Personally, I'm glad our hobby allows room for everyone to achieve success in different ways, so cheers to that!

holy heck
Albert easy on picking on me good point thou. see its even on threads where you always will get a different answer even on simple things that goes on in a reef tank. may be im old fashion, im not bashing it its just seems that its alot of work and money to get something looking amazing. Im just glad that i can actually take care of a reef tank and wouldnt trade any of my experience that i have learned for anything.

but on another note thanks for making me look dumb J K
Old 07-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
holy heck
Albert easy on picking on me good point thou. see its even on threads where you always will get a different answer even on simple things that goes on in a reef tank. may be im old fashion, im not bashing it its just seems that its alot of work and money to get something looking amazing. Im just glad that i can actually take care of a reef tank and wouldnt trade any of my experience that i have learned for anything.

but on another note thanks for making me look dumb J K
LOL! Not trying to pick on you! You're making me feel like the bad guy here, haha.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:41 PM

Oceanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm also not a huge fan of the silent Jihad that's slowly permeating our society.

Last edited by Oceanic; 07-24-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:44 PM

Oceanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef View Post
I was hoping you'd chime in here, Albert! Thanks everyone for the comments. I will let you know how things progress. I think getting the TDS issue under control will definitely help (duh...I know better).

I'm telling you man! Go through the list I made you and you WILL see results....... There is some good advice here!
Old 07-24-2008, 06:58 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
LOL! Not trying to pick on you! You're making me feel like the bad guy here, haha.
you bully
its good to have great knowledgable persons like you in this site man..
Old 07-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Drew needs to edit the title of this thread to "Okay, now I'm PRO".

LOL
Old 07-25-2008, 08:38 AM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
the ocean doesn't use Zeo and look at what it looks like, yes i know that the ocean has all the proper supplements in to house what ever and the proper lighting and the corals to react to what ever mother nature throws out.
Quote:
As far as the ocean not using Zeo? No, not in the way imagine it doesn't, but there are bacterial processes happening there that you will not be able to replicate using GAC, GFO and O3. Trust me, Zeovit is about as close to the Ocean as a reef tank gets, my friend. This keeping in mind that the ocean ISN'T a closed system like our tanks either.
The ocean doesn't look like zeo tanks. For every pastel blue "wonder zippy" acro you see on a reef there are hundreds of dull brown boring ones. The super pastel colours are an aberration, a defensive reaction to photo saturation in a low nutrient environment. Promoting Zeovit as a way to get a "natural" looking reef tank is seriously silly.

However if ULN and bright colours is what you want to achieve these systems are effective. My personal experience is limited as I've never been an SPS lover and for a toadstool loving peon it doesn't seem worth the expense. From the messing about I have done though it is clear to me that this is a complicated balance to achieve, I'm not surprised that so many people have the results Drew has talked about. It's something you have to play with and find out what implementation of "the recipe" is going to work in a given situation, this will take a serious effort. Too many people are disappointed with marginal initial results and give up.

Stick with it Drew and I'll bet you get it to work.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain Drew. I am in the same boat... my poor tank looks like a cesspool right now. Fuilm algae out of control, cyano like you wouldn't imagine.. and on top of it I am starting to lose coral. I keep adjusting my zeo but it is a struggle to find the right balance.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2