Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: What brought you into Reefing?
Friends 43 21.08%
Family 20 9.80%
Online 26 12.75%
Petstore 56 27.45%
Other(Specify) 59 28.92%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2008, 03:06 PM

Patrick1 is on a distinguished road

I was into Cichlids for a long time, but felt I wasn't being kept poor enough with that hobby. I needed something that could consume my entire pay cheque in one stop at the store.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:33 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Everyone told me not to do it, that it couldn't be done. Mahahaha
Old 06-01-2008, 06:29 AM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

I got into reefing because of stuff I read online. I was interested in the challenge because I get bored of fish quite fast. There was an old internet article kicking around (that one in green text and black background) that described the reef tank kinda as "an aquarium you'll be staying up all night fretting about as you perform a careful ballancing act constantly." Right up my alley

Gotta say I've come back to/sticked with it because of the forums. Haven't been able to find much for planted tank enthusiasts in Canada really.

A good community makes any hobby/past-time exciting really and the forums have been great.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:54 AM

Keri is on a distinguished road

I've had FW since I was a kid and I've always loved SW but thought it was "too difficult". last year my vet office went over to the vancouver aquarium for fun and Drew and I decided we really wanted to get into SW so we bought an 8gal nano. That lasted about 3 months till we bought the 65 then Drew built the 27.......next tank will be...90? 125? we shall see
The 8 gal is still running...as a QT
Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 PM

Mikee is on a distinguished road

Ever since i was in my early teens i had FW.. my dad and brother had always had an obsession with Discus and Angelfish so slowly i got into that started breeding and raising both. I always loved SW..whenever we went to our LFS i always wished i could keep SW..but i knew it was far to much money so i stuck with FW. Finally school was done, and at that time i found many reef forums and was inspired but all the amazing tanks. I did not want to jump in with a VERY large tank right away (although i wish i did now) but like with many hobbies you never know if you really like them or just get bored with it after a few months. So i bought my 90g set it up, and now after almost 2 years i am still here! I have had some ups and downs along the way but i have never thought about quitting..it only makes me want to learn more and try to improve hopefully have a tank one day like those that first inspired me. Next tank (maybe next year) i am thinking of a 180 4x3x2' .
Old 08-03-2008, 05:04 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

I had never been into keeping aquariums at all as a kid. None of my friends had them, and I never really heard about them. About 1.5 years ago, I went to a buddies place for a BBQ and saw this HUGE (atleast I thought it was at the time) 90G Reef tank. But never thought I couldn't do it after hearing about all the things he has to take care of it. It had the clowns w/ anemone, coral, etc etc.. and I was amazed by it every time I went round his place.. I am now living in a house with another friend that was into FW before i moved in.. and it was cool, found a 55G Starter kit for a great price at Petland one day, and decided to start a FW (becuz I thought SW was gonna so difficult, I wanted it, but just didn't know much about it).. So anyways, started the 55G FW about 2-3 months ago, and as I started that, my roommate started his 20G Nano Reef... well geez, now I had to look at his tank everyday, and it finally got to me and I caved... Was gonna do the 54G sumpless, which ended up being the 75G RR Tank I now have going... and I just picked up a bunch of parts to start a 23G SPS Nano.. Build thread coming soon.

I guess I can blame being broke on my friends..

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 08-03-2008, 11:59 PM
brandy

Default What brought your into Reefing?

Never thoought of this if Snorkel and Scuba Diving aren't in my most favorite activities back then and even now.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:02 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

well i guess just going into the LFS for my 4 fresh tanks and always seeing all the awesome sw fish and also i just love the ocean and so many tanks look so nice, i decided i would try it
Old 08-06-2008, 03:37 AM

Stab_Master_Arson is on a distinguished road

Growing up as a "ferry kid" brought me into reefing. Every long weekend and summer vacation my father got we would go to my grandfather's various properties on the gulf islands. We fished, beach combed and swam and boated. Ever since I have always been fascinated with the ocean. So fascinated, I have often considered changing my major to biology of the marine variety. Just to show how insane I am, when i went to Hawaii with friends last year, I would spend more time wondering the shores, gathering discarded reef rock and investigating tide pools than seeing the other sites and partying. AS far as prior experience goes, I basically went from keeping feeder goldfish until I was 12 -taking a hiatus, only to purchase a saltwater setup when I was 21.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

I hate to say it, but Petcetera got me into reefing. I ended up there for whatever reason years ago, and seen two Ocellaris Clownfish in one of their tanks. I think I sat there for a solid half hour just gazing into that tank. The colours did it for me mainly, but also their personality and the way they moved. I needed some clownfish. Did minor research and came to the conclusion that there was no way a 16 year old with no job could afford a SW tank. So, naturally, I went to FW (african cichlids, etc.) Time passed and I got a good job, with good pay, and still wanted to pursue the SW. So I went to Big Al's and got my supplies and setup a 20g FOWLR.

Then I found corals.... and ohhh boy, here we are today. I had to get out of reefing last April for various reasons, and being away really sucked. It had it's small advantages (able to take vacation with peace of mind) but not enough to keep me away. I am back at it, and am loving it.