Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 09-15-2008, 06:16 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Mine eats every few days probably...but not target fed every few days..only if he manages to steal some clam or oyster from the CBB....otherwise I make sure that he gets his own every 5-7 days.....I have heard that overfeeding eels can be a big problem...I figure if I target him every 5-7d...he will MAKE SURE that he steals some clam meat from the CBB, wrasse and clowns if he is truly hungry!

OOOH I haven't lost mine *yet* to the overflows, or the eggcrate on top...but I check daily still and probably always will.....you just never know.

They are soooo very cool. Our son, who is 4, loves to see him and will let us know whenever the eel is "looking at him". It's a cool creature!

Old 09-15-2008, 12:27 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

I have two of these in my display. Truely fascinating animals and great for a reef. In time they will warm up to feeding by hand, both mine eat of forceps.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:38 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

What do you feed yours Dave? And how often?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:23 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Generally I target feed them -2x's a week. At this time I feed them frozen prawns (leftowner from when I had my crosshatch triggers). You will be suprised how large a piece of food they will eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
What do you feed yours Dave? And how often?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:32 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Nice addition Tony!

I love the look of eels, and think its very cool that some people are keeping them in reef environments. I think we need some photos of yours Dave!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:54 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
I think we need some photos of yours Dave!
We're waiting!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 05:22 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Day 4 with mine - still not eating. Should I be worried? The wholesaler said it was eating krill, so I went and bought this enormous sheet of krill. Of course it won't touch them - and nobody else including the anemones will touch the krill either.

How long before I really panic?

So far I've tried mysis, sand eels, krill, NLS finicky fish, Michika's food - no interest.

I thought about silversides but they were enormous - absolutely enormous - which is why I opted for the smaller, more slender sand eels. Maybe this was a mistake? Maybe I should go get silversides? ... I'm just frustrated because I have a freezer full of foods that none of my fish will eat ..

What do I do? Maybe stop feeding him altogether for a few days? Let him get real good and hungry? Try a half clam?

There's nobody in the tank in with him. So not a case of hazing or bullying...
Old 09-17-2008, 06:55 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Nothing I owned in 10 years touched krill Tony. I think if they ate it in the store they were insanely hungry. I don't think four days is that long for an eel, he may be hunting smaller foods in your tank.

Did you try the raw prawns yet?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:05 AM

Does *anything* eat krill? Man, what's up with this. I guess if I ever decide to keep a baleen whale then I can feed it this stuff.

Haven't tried prawn yet. Will tomorrow. Thought I might pick up a mixed bag of seafood tomorrow and see how it goes. You know the kind that has squid,octopus, etc. Maybe an oyster and clam .. My butterfly could use a treat anyhow, loves oysters and mussels and it's been a while since I bought some last.

My poor tank is totally going to crash with all this uneaten food floating around though. Maybe I'll just back off for a few days.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:16 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Mine ate clam and oyster really quickly...very fresh, not frozen.....worked well for me!