Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

I had areas of flesh that were noticeably bare of polyps...it is a strange look. I had areas that were dying off and stressed. This was almost a year ago for me and now I have no AEFW. I know I had them as I found them. I can say I am AEFW free now.....wouldn't wish them on anyone. I threw out many colonies that weren't worth trying to save, as did a couple of friends that also bought into a group of corals that were for sale. They lost almost everything....and I lost a good portion of what we bought. It was sad.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Ah the million dollar question......

If there was a hundred percent cure to rid aefw I would love to know.

"tip burning that in the end proved to be AEFW?"

usually aefw eat the coral from the bottom up, never really seen them start eating at the tips. I find that they like dark shaded areas also low flow areas on a coral.

Burning tips usually points me toward alk issues only going by what I seen and heard in the past never experienced it, however I could be wrong.

It seems that everyone gets it one time or another when keeping sps even the most experienced on RC, However many have overcame this minor setback and go on to grow the most amazing colonies.

For every coral out there there is a predator I wish more research could be done for these particular pest to find a cure. They found one for red bugs, monti nudi's so why not aefw?

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Yeah the more I look at pictures of AEFW damage the more I am convinced my tip burning is likely not AEFW. While relieved at that, it still leaves me wondering what is the cause. I agree - it ought to be alkalinity burn but my Alk is testing at 8dKH. (Two different test kits confirm the #'s but they are both Elos - so unless there's something causing interference I am inclined to believe the number is correct). Other params are also suitably within normal tolerances (Ca=390, Mg=1200, NO3=2). Anyhow, sort of a good news/bad news scenario. I think I'm happy that at least it doesn't appear to be AEFW though.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:00 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

My Arrow crab eats Red Bugs...I didn't have too many but he cleared the tank out in a day. Actually he eats anything he can find...slugs, bugs, snails, other crabs He is about 7" though. I don't know if smaller ones are aggressive as mine.

I bet he would eat the flat worms if they were big enough. Or even small maybe. I have seen him eating pods as well. Best scavenger I have ever had. He keeps the tank spotless.

He eats small fish too.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:12 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

^^Red Bugs I've seen are smaller than a grain of pepper maybe the really small sugar sand, really hard to see unless you have good eyes does the Big crab suck them up?

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 12-02-2008, 03:35 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
^^Red Bugs I've seen are smaller than a grain of pepper maybe the really small sugar sand, really hard to see unless you have good eyes does the Big crab suck them up?
Must not be Red bugs then

They were more like the size of pods and quite red. I thought red bugs but from your description I would say no.

Whatever they were, I am glad they are gone.