Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 12-19-2005, 03:57 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob I
....I do use Chemipure that I bought by the case for less than $5.00 per unit. ....
How many units in a case?

Thanx much,
Old 12-19-2005, 03:02 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think you have hit on what a skimmer actually does. Skimmers basically interrupt natural decomposition of proteinaceous materials by removing large protein molecules before the natural dissolution of those molecules into nitrogenous compounds occur.

ok so by doing this is it not also removing the organic phosphates bound in that organic mater and preventing it from being released as inorganic phosphate during the decay process?

so basically a skimmer is removing phosphates.

Quote:
That is all they do. Natural laws of physics state that they cannot increase the oxygen content of the water. (sorry Sam, still can't buy your argument}.

actually a bubbler in a tank will raise the O2 content also as every little bubble made is now a water/air surface interface. while not as efficient as having a turbulent water surface it still increases O2 levels, a skimmer is just basically a bubbler on steroids and does a very good job of increasing O2

Quote:
They do not remove Phospates, or other contaminants.
See your first statement, do you not consider decaying organic matter contaminants? but yes aside from Phosphates they do remove several other things.

Quote:
That is all I will say on this matter. If anyone can prove that any of this is not true, I would welcome the input, but please make it proof NOT just opinion.
Ok there was a test done on various skimmers and they effectiveness of removing phosphates, metals, ect from the tank water. I will find it for you to read. no time right now as I have to get out of here and Finnish my Christmas shopping

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:29 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy
actually a bubbler in a tank will raise the O2 content also as every little bubble made is now a water/air surface interface. while not as efficient as having a turbulent water surface it still increases O2 levels, a skimmer is just basically a bubbler on steroids and does a very good job of increasing O2

Steve
I am afraid that may sound good, but there is a problem with it. If there was an air/water interface all the bubbles would disappear before reaching the surface. There is a serious flaw in that argument.

And now that I see that there is agitation within the skimmer so theoretically oxygen gets taken up, I am bothered by another thing. How about the oxygen depletion caused by beating the crap out of the water with an impeller causing the bubbles in the first place
I just cannot see how there would be in increase in oxygen content.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 12-19-2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer
How many units in a case?

Thanx much,
There are twelve units in a case. However I was wrong about the price. He charged me $100.00 for the case. that comes to $8.33/each.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am afraid that may sound good, but there is a problem with it. If there was an air/water interface all the bubbles would disappear before reaching the surface. There is a serious flaw in that argument.

And now that I see that there is agitation within the skimmer so theoretically oxygen gets taken up, I am bothered by another thing. How about the oxygen depletion caused by beating the crap out of the water with an impeller causing the bubbles in the first place
I just cannot see how there would be in increase in oxygen content.
How does an impeller deplete oxygen? Is it organic and has a requirement for oxygen?? Sheesh Bob, where do you come up with your ideas?

Actually a skimmer serves to oxygenate the water by producing fine bubbles that take longer to reach the surface thereby increasing the contact time with water and increasing the oxygen content of the water vs. larger bubbles which jet to the surface much faster and have a more limited contact time.

Christy

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5
How does an impeller deplete oxygen? Is it organic and has a requirement for oxygen?? Sheesh Bob, where do you come up with your ideas?
If you don't understand what I am getting at, I will not try explain further. I have hijacked this thread enough.

Quote:
Actually a skimmer serves to oxygenate the water by producing fine bubbles that take longer to reach the surface thereby increasing the contact time with water and increasing the oxygen content of the water vs. larger bubbles which jet to the surface much faster and have a more limited contact time.

Christy
Again you don't understand the premise. I cannot explain it better, but no it will not happen. Simple concept known as surface tension keeps it from happening.

Last edited by Bob I; 12-20-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:57 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Again you don't understand the premise. I cannot explain it better, but no it will not happen. Simple concept known as surface tension keeps it from happening.
Ok Bob, got you some info on it from a pond page.

"Mechanical aerators agitate water to produce liquid/air contact, while underwater diffusers introduce bubbles from a depth to achieve oxygen transfer and mixing. Bubble type aeration systems are replacing many mechanical aerators because of their low maintenance, reliability, safety, flexibility and overall efficiency. They excel where small amounts of aeration are needed in many locations. Bubble aerators are also better at removing gases, such as ammonia and carbon dioxide. Diffusers are made to deliver either coarse (approximately 6 mm), medium (approximately 3 mm), or fine (approximately 1 mm) air bubbles. Coarse-bubble systems require the lowest air pressure and are very resistant to clogging, but are about a third as efficient as medium-bubble systems in transferring oxygen to the water. The medium-bubble diffuser requires only slightly higher air pressure, but its superior oxygen transfer more than compensates for the increase in maintenance due to occasional clogging. The fine-bubble diffuser’s superior oxygen transfer usually does not compensate for its higher-pressure requirement and much more frequent clogging."

SO as you can see a bubbler type set up is the most efficient at raising O2 levels and driving off other gasses, and the smaller the bubble the higher the efficiency.

here is a chart on the different amounts of O2 that can be put into the water by different aerators. air compressor liner type is you basic bubble stone on a fish tank, and the water pump with venturi is your basic skimmer.

Aerator
Flow rate
Watts used
Grams O2 per hour
Cost per 100 grams
Lazy Stream 12" drop
10gpm
150watts
$1.26
Babbling Stream 12" drop
10 gpm
Waterfall 12" drop straigh into pond
10gpm
Waterfall 2-24" drop fallng on rocks
10 gpm
Fountain
5 gpm
water pump with venturi
4 gpm
Air compressor linear type 1
1 cfm
$0.06

Don't know what else to say to you on the Bob aside from please read up on it if you are having a hard time understanding it as what you are thinking isn't true.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.