Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: What do you do with new additions?
Seperate Quarantine Tank every time 28 43.75%
Same water system, but a holding tank 1 1.56%
Same tank, but seperated by a divider or net 0 0%
Just put them in! They will figure it out 35 54.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2015, 06:26 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

me to I get attached to my fish , I feel like when I get a fish its up to me to keep it living happily for its life
Old 02-07-2015, 06:46 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Similar story with me. For many years I had no major issues. But often, after introduction of a new fish, the entire tank gets ick for weeks but they seem to build an immunity and fight it off and I won't see it again. I used to be one of those guys who thought I could never lose a fish from disease because for many years, I've seen sick fish in my tank (from new additions) and they always recovered from it.

However, many years later, something worse would get introduced and I would lose a few delicate fish while the rest eventually built immunity and the tank would be fine again. This happened a few more times. But each time, it was only a few fish that could not fight it off and everything else was fine again. So I still didn't feel a need to quarantine.

But then my luck ran out and one time after the introduction of a new fish, it wiped out the whole tank. Looked like Velvet to me.

Now, starting with my latest addition (yes, this is a new process for me), I am being more vigilant and will fresh water dip and quarantine new fish before putting it into the display tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
I did this for years, then one day I did what i always did, in 3 days complete tank wipe out and 6 week fallow.

Never ever again.

I guess you dice with the dark side one day you will get burnt. I did, and I know when I mentioned this on RC the thread was full of same stories. I just dont take risks like that now

Last edited by Samw; 02-07-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:31 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road

Ive always just dropped them in, but I still make sure its at night or the lights are off to let them settle in. As said above, setting up and maintaining another tank is a lot of time and money. I think even with a tank crash I still wouldn't QT. Just me.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:00 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I have the tanks for QT but I don't have the space but I also understand the risks of putting things directly into the tank and the roll of the dice that I play every time I do so it is my fault if the tank dies and my reward if the tank lives.

This always has and most likely will be a hot button topic with Home aquarists for a very long time to come.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:24 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCGY View Post
Quarantine? No
Survival rate? 100%
Bought from? Everywhere

Float 10-15mins is all
+3 agree!
Old 02-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCGY View Post
Quarantine? No
Survival rate? 100%
Bought from? Everywhere

Float 10-15mins is all
For how many years exactly? I did this and bragged about it for 15 years. Last 2 years I've lost over 4k in fish. Can't even calculate the cost of my time..

I get the whole thing with it being difficult and costly, but most people at least agree they should QT and acknowledge the risk. To just blatantly snub it is arrogant. Not saying anyone here is actually doing that, but I know many that do.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:25 PM

seabreeze is on a distinguished road

For seven years I too would just add fish to my display after drip acclimatizing and I was LUCKY... let me repeat.... I was LUCKY!!!

That all changed when I added a beautiful exotic looking tang to my display. Several days later he started flashing but nothing visible... fish started dying within 24 hours, and within 48 hours I had lost all but 2. I was living the VELVET nightmare.

Some of my fish I had over 6 years. I had a beautiful Powder Brown Tang, a spawning designer pair of clowns (that I got as teeny tiny babies), a Candy Cane Basslet (cough cough) just to name a few. The losses were DEVASTATING. I almost quit the hobby.

I have gone full circle and now QT ALL my fish. Kept my DT fallow for 5 months also.

I used to be of the belief that QT would be way more stressful on new fish. A small barren tank, being isolated... vs having a reef environment, with lots of dark hiding spaces, and fellow fish...

So wrong!!! Instead they get to emerge and eat at their own pace, without being chased, they get stronger and with that bolder.

LOL I did splurge recently and got myself another Candy Cane Basslet (cough, cough... cough, cough). Had him in QT for 9 weeks (a wrasse he was with died for no apparent reason and didn't want to take any chances).

He did his typical hiding but quite soon figured out that I was that 'wonderful thing' that brought him tasty treats. He soon whipped out every time he saw me by the tank.

When the day came to graduate to the DT, he did his panic thing and went into hiding... and my other normally docile fish became temporary bullies and chased him around. Had about a week of this. Eventually they chilled out and guess he became hungry enough. So good thing he was nice and plump going into the tank.

But LOL he still comes dashing out whenever he sees me looking into the tank. He comes out of nowhere. I can go from side-glass to side-glass and BOOM there he is right in my face. These fish are normally quite cryptic... its quite cool... the bond he made with me from his QT time LOL

Yes, I am now completely reformed and no longer play the Russian Roulette game. I DO QT ...at least my fish LOL. Can't say that for corals yet (although I do dip)... and for now just very hopeful that I don't get 'bit'
Old 02-09-2015, 08:28 PM

By the way... COMPLETE cost of my 20 gallon QT tank around $100. This includes HOB filter, heater, additional small powerhead, foam filter, lid with built in LED light
Old 02-10-2015, 02:07 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
He did his typical hiding but quite soon figured out that I was that 'wonderful thing' that brought him tasty treats. He soon whipped out every time he saw me by the tank.

But LOL he still comes dashing out whenever he sees me looking into the tank. He comes out of nowhere. I can go from side-glass to side-glass and BOOM there he is right in my face. These fish are normally quite cryptic... its quite cool... the bond he made with me from his QT time LOL
One of the side-benefits of quarantine. I love Candy Basslets - they are definitely personable!

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconGuy View Post
OK, point taken. Well I guess then that we have two groups:
the ones that have been burnt and the ones that will

Much like backing up your computer before loosing data...
Perfectly said!