Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-06-2013, 12:50 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFoster View Post
But you can still get some really insane, really nice piece without them being a true "designer" piece.

That was what i was trying to point out in my previous post.
That was a very good explanation, and thanks for taking the time.

I guess that is part of the intrigue with keeping SPS. You don't always know what you have, and sometimes can be very pleasantly surprised as they grow out.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:36 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thats what makes it a designer acro and that what the lineage refers to.
So when see people posting asking what the lineage is or saying "is that a Steve Tyre double hippy flipper acro" (ok so that may not be the name but still)
Lineage means it came from the exact same imported coral, to assure it is the exact same one, with the same potential for growth, colour, hardiness.

Sometimes there are look a likes and maybe its the same one maybe not. That is the problem as you never know if it is capable of the potential as the lineaged piece.

I always use my palmers blue millepora as an example. I have own at least 2 other blue millepora. Same colour and species as the palmers but even though they grew in close proximity to one another the palmers always out shinned the others. Faster growth, better colour and hardiness.

Quote:
But you can still get some really insane, really nice piece without them being a true "designer" piece.

That was what i was trying to point out in my previous post.
For sure Patrick and all corals come from the ocean. I will say though that I prefer to know that coral is proven to grow and maintain colour in an aquarium for 6 months +++. Even better if someone else was able to grow it out in captivity as that increases the probablity of other hobbyists doing the same. Not to say a nice coral that is not proven is not a nice coral....of course it is but they can be a bit of a gamble for sure. And with gambling sometimes you lose and sometimes you win.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 PM

PFoster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post

For sure Patrick and all corals come from the ocean. I will say though that I prefer to know that coral is proven to grow and maintain colour in an aquarium for 6 months +++. Even better if someone else was able to grow it out in captivity as that increases the probablity of other hobbyists doing the same. Not to say a nice coral that is not proven is not a nice coral....of course it is but they can be a bit of a gamble for sure. And with gambling sometimes you lose and sometimes you win.
Agreed here 100%
With the amount we all spend on our tanks, real estate is very expensive.
I too will spend the extra few bucks to get proven pieces that I know that if i am able to provide the right conditions will turn into something incredible!

With the wholesale side I have gained a cursed ability to be able to horde certain corals when they come in. Our not for sale section is getting a bit out of control at present....
Sometimes if we get a unique pieces in that catches our eye we will sit on it to see what we can do with it. Sometimes it pays off and turns into amazing, sometimes it doesn't (more often than not, it doesn't....)

The tenuis pictured above is actually a perfect example. I must have at least 10-12 others that dont come close to this piece. and thats just what i have in right now, i know i have ended up selling a bunch that colored up to decent coloration, but not the same as this. This colony is literally the ONLY one that has ever colored up like that. So on an end user level, thats buying maybe 20 pieces in the hope that 1 MIGHT color up to super nice. Not very good odds. Now you have a tank full of all the same pieces that are just ok coloured and one nice one. And only assuming of course that you provided the right conditions for this piece....

Oh and i would advise trading frags with some of your other crack head, sps fanatic friends. If you dont your tank parameters will fluctuate and there is a 100% probability that if one piece dies it will definitely be the 1 pieces that only you have and you didnt give to any of your friends. And its pretty much a 100% guarentee that you will not see this pieces again for years, if at all ever!