Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Oceanic Corals

Old 07-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
So I guess the change of heart to post comparison results between the two brands means performance wise the brands are about equal just a difference in cone quality?

Change of heart from what? I am confident that most of the SWC skimmers will outperform BM, I also believe the build quality is better. With all the links posted, read for yourself the many comparative reviews that have been done. The SWC skimmers pull more air and generally at equal to or less wattage.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:47 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanicCorals-Ian- View Post
Change of heart from what? I am confident that most of the SWC skimmers will outperform BM, I also believe the build quality is better. With all the links posted, read for yourself the many comparative reviews that have been done. The SWC skimmers pull more air and generally at equal to or less wattage.
Your first post in this thread said you were going to compare the SWC to the BM head to head and to stay tuned for results. What does that mean if not to compare actual performance results? So far none of the links have said that either one actually skims better than the other and that is the type of info I would like to know. A few weeks ago you yourself was saying how great the BM skimmers worked so I just want to know if anyone has actually compared the two based on performance in the same tank before I buy my skimmer. Right now I'm not sure which way to go as I can get the BM for cheaper but if the SWC skims better then maybe it's worth the extra money. I haven't heard of any BM quality problems and they both use the same pump so I am trying to find out which one works better based on head to head results not from someone who has only used one of the products but likes it so that must mean its better. You got me really interested in this product but I want to be sold on it.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Moved on

Default SWC VS Bubble Magus!!

The BM skimmers do work well for the price, I have never said they didn't. If anyone were to ask me what I thought about them I would tell them the same thing now as I would have before taking on SWC. The difference now is I have now seen the build quality side by side, researched the reviews and I have been schooled by the manufactuerer on the benefits of SWC vs BM all of which I have confirmed by looking at the overall reviews. This thread has also been open for those that have run both brands or just one to voice their opinion either way. To do an actual in tank head to head is very difficult as it would have to be done in such a way that both tanks had exactly the same chemistry and bioload, this would be very difficult to do an would be open to so much debate.

No matter what tests we did everyone is still going to have their opinion on what is better, for your next skimmer you will just have to go with whatever one feels like the right choice for you.. Do your research, listen to what people have to say about each brand and take it from there.

Choice is good, we will continue selling both brands as well as others not mentioned here, I too look for barains and "bang" for the buck; however, sometimes a few extra dollars are worth it.

Sorry to dissapoint we can't have a BM / SWC cage battle.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:28 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Just can't make my life easy, eh Ian?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:35 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanicCorals-Ian- View Post
When you say that the build quality is going to make a better skimmer. You should know that the pump is what makes the skimmer having a CNC machine isn't going to make a skimmer work better then another skimmer. I have owned many skimmers and believe you me, I used to own a Deltec AP 851 with the Ehiem skimmer that was a amazing skimmer not because of the DELTEC name the Reason is for the EHIEM pump. I have owned many high end skimmers like the BK mini's
Deuxe BK's and didnt care for them. alot of Hype however the BM 220 Cone is a amazing skimmer that houses the EHiem pump that skimmer will hands down compete or out drive the Deltec 851. or even keep up the REASON IS THE PUMP.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:17 AM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

I just want to chime in here and reference this thread wherein we discuss the SWC vs BM skimmers and the end consensus was that they are essentially identical. If they are not, then I would like to be the first customer on that trade-in program you were talking about. I am also a bit disconcerted by the whole switch over to SWC, with the official policy seeming to be that the BM is an inferior product but now the prices are going to go up on the BM skimmers - a supposedly inferior product! Will you still be honoring warranties on the BM skimmers for customers who have already purchased them? The whole "I think we made our point" vs aqua digital is a bit suspect as well. Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to be inflammatory, I'm just confused!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:17 AM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

Oh sorry, the thread I mentioned:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...743#post533743
Old 07-18-2010, 03:21 AM
acanthastrea freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlreefguy View Post
I just want to chime in here and reference this thread wherein we discuss the SWC vs BM skimmers and the end consensus was that they are essentially identical. If they are not, then I would like to be the first customer on that trade-in program you were talking about. I am also a bit disconcerted by the whole switch over to SWC, with the official policy seeming to be that the BM is an inferior product but now the prices are going to go up on the BM skimmers - a supposedly inferior product! Will you still be honoring warranties on the BM skimmers for customers who have already purchased them? The whole "I think we made our point" vs aqua digital is a bit suspect as well. Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to be inflammatory, I'm just confused!

good point
Old 07-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Moved on

Default SWC VS Bubble Magus!!

Lol, people are sure serious about their skimmers, I want to raise the price of the BM enough to make it an even playing field for the other dealers that are stocking the bm line. Take this thread for face value, nobody is saying that BM is a poor product, it isn't; however, this is the place to talk about the pros and cons of both brands. I happen to also like the octopus skimmers but this thread wasn't about those.

Anyways, carry on.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 PM
acanthastrea freak

Well Ian I'm sure you have tried them all so let's hear your input of the
SWC skimmers'
BM skimmers
Octopus skimmers. since you have access to all 3

SO what BM are you comparing the SWC one to is there a certain one that you would like to have the pros and the cons on