Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-26-2014, 09:13 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
Maybe I'm slow, but I cannot fill vial, add ALL the reagent in the pouch, and completely mix it in 3 min. At the end of 3 min I still have solid particles of reagent swirling in the vial. I don't want to measure it unless it's completely dissolved. That's why I use 2 vials.
What do you mean fill the vial?? That is done at the beginning before C1. I also have the packet cut, funnel formed and ready to pour before the 3 min time limit begins. I usually use close to the full 3 min before pressing (and holding) C2, but have no trouble completely dissolving the powder.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
Maybe I'm slow, but I cannot fill vial, add ALL the reagent in the pouch, and completely mix it in 3 min. At the end of 3 min I still have solid particles of reagent swirling in the vial. I don't want to measure it unless it's completely dissolved. That's why I use 2 vials.
Yeah I'm not sure if you're doing it right if you are rushing to fill the vial in a certain amount of time.

1. Fill the vial , and wipe the outside to remove finger prints.

2. Turn on meter

3. When it reads C1 add the vial to the meter and press the button.

4. When it reads C2 remove the vial from the meter and dump in the powder , give it a good shake till everything is dissolved and then wipe the vial for fingerprints. Put the vial back into the meter and HOLD the button down till the 3 minute timer starts. (Step 4 must be done within 3 minutes)

As others have said , tear open the reagent prior to step 1 ,so that its all ready to go , I personally cut off 3 sides so it opens up like a butterfly so I can get all the powder in , but the wax paper idea sounds like a great choice as well.

Also do not forget to keep an eye on the 3 minute timer , because after it counts down and shows the reading , it shuts the meter off within about 5 seconds.