Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-24-2011, 01:30 AM

dreef is on a distinguished road

Yes.. i don't dip and i don't have a QT.I get my fish from the same LFS you do.Some of my tangs are 4 years old,don't even know what ick looks like..call me lucky
Old 11-24-2011, 01:36 AM

rastaangel is on a distinguished road

Im calling you lucky, knock on wood LOL
Ive battled ick alot and lost some very beautyful fish before I QTed everything
I think they only way I will take the chance is if I find a healthy blonde naso
Old 11-24-2011, 02:26 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Then how do you know it's healthy? not just because it looks healthy does not mean it is not having the begining of something nasty that has not show up yet, why the QT.

You asked if I would put a tang in my DT with just a freshwater dip then the answer is no. I would do the FW dip and still quarantine for 4 week in observation because no dip is 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaangel View Post
Im calling you lucky, knock on wood LOL
Ive battled ick alot and lost some very beautyful fish before I QTed everything
I think they only way I will take the chance is if I find a healthy blonde naso
Old 11-24-2011, 08:34 PM

Jan is on a distinguished road

"You must make sure that the water is at the same temperature, pH and has been aerated for several hours to equalize the dissolved oxygen levels. Typically well water has low to no dissolved oxygen. "

Tim,do you use R/O water or tap and what do you use to equalize the PH?
Old 11-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

We have had good success with FW dip, but only in extreme cases.

If the fish dies from a FW dip, it was already too far gone before it already.

From my experience with FW dips, this is only really effective in parasites.

Like rats leaving a sinking ship, they drop/release because they want to survive.

A fish can survive around 20+ minutes in the FW dip, just keep an eye on them, looking for signs of stress (Darting, jumping, laying on side, heavy breathing)

Check on your QT water, is it from you DT? or do you do it fresh?

A product a lot on my customers like is Marc Weiss ImmunoVital. It really helps the fishes immune system, or from my experience at least. You can add this to your DT once a month also as a precationary measure.

Brookynella is completly different, a dip with Formalin is needed.

Ken - BWA

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 11-24-2011, 10:48 PM

My QT water always comes from my display from water changes.
I have used immuno vital in my DT and QT unless im using copper
Old 11-25-2011, 05:42 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Hi Daniella3d,

Sorry, it took me a bit to find the references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d
Please state your reference that said that Paraguard is carcinogen and burn the skin of the fish??
Here are the references for carcinogenic effects of some of Paraguard's ingredients.

Malachite Green -

"Female rats exposed to malachite green chloride had increased incidences of thyroid gland follicular cell adenoma or carcinoma and hepatocellular adenoma, and a dose-related increasing trend in mammary gland carcinoma."

taken from this link.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...78691506000202

Formaldehyde, which is a simple aldehyde -

"In 2011, the National Toxicology Program, an interagency program of the Department of Health and Human Services, named formaldehyde as a known human carcinogen in its 12th Report on Carcinogens "

taken from
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...k/formaldehyde

For Aldehydes -

"Cytotoxicity may also be of major importance in acetaldehyde carcinogenesis but further studies are needed to prove or disprove this assumption. For a large number of aldehydes (relevant) data on neither carcinogenicity nor genotoxicity are available. From epidemiological studies there is no convincing evidence of aldehyde exposure being related to cancer in humans."

taken from
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2017217

I think it safe to assume more research needed on aldehyde carcinogenicity. However there are lots of different types of Aldehydes.

In regards to formaldehyde burning the fishes gills and skin. It has that burning effect on humans so it is safe to assume the same effect on fishes.

"When formaldehyde is present in the air at levels exceeding 0.1 ppm, some individuals may experience adverse effects such as watery eyes; burning sensations in the eyes, nose, and throat; coughing; wheezing; nausea; and skin irritation. Some people are very sensitive to formaldehyde, whereas others have no reaction to the same level of exposure."

taken from
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...k/formaldehyde

Hi Jan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan
Tim,do you use R/O water or tap and what do you use to equalize the PH?
I use my Ocean Fresh Alk to increase the pH of the RO water. Ocean Fresh Alk is an aluminum free Sodium Bicarbonate. I have a Lamotte Digital pH meter for checking the pH.

Ken makes some good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic
If the fish dies from a FW dip, it was already too far gone before it already.

From my experience with FW dips, this is only really effective in parasites.
From my experience with FW baths they are good for flukes, ich, velvet, early stage of brookynella(no peeling skin/mucous layer visible). They also help with the mysterious Bali clownfish(occelaris) disease. All of which are parasites. FW baths do NOT help with intestinal worms, HLLE, Lymphocystitus and fin rot.

I am not trying to hijack the thread but from my experience the food that you feed your animals has a direct effect on their health. This is easily observed in cats and dogs. Feed them cheap food and you will go to the veterinarian$$$$ far more often. The same applies with fish, feed them a poor quality food and they won't do as well as if they had a nutritionally balanced and natural food. That is why I started to produce the Ocean Fresh Pacifica Plankton. I found that the fish did much better on it than any other food I had tried. I have used it for well over 10 years to keep fish in top condition. When you feed your fish a food that is naturally high in vitamins, minerals and immuno-stimulants you don't need to use all the other food additives etc.

That being said, I am rather biased towards these products for a couple reasons; I know they work from using them myself and I am producing them in sizes suitable for sale to reef aquarists. There is my commercial disclosure.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 11-25-2011, 07:05 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Although paraguard does not contain formaldeyde, so that part does not apply to paraguard. I was more refering to its carcinogenic effects on fish when used as a dip.

'ParaGuard™ is the only fish and filter safe aldehyde based (10% by weight) parasite control product available. Unlike highly toxic and difficult to use formalin based medications, ParaGuard™ contains no formaldehyde or methanol and will not alter pH.'

So basically that leave the malachite green that might be toxic but is it at such concentration and for a dip? I never had any fish show any adverse reaction when doing one hour dip in Paraguard. They did not seem stressed either and where very relaxed during the dip...not so much for freshwater dip..which seem to be so stressfull for them and often kill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Hi Daniella3d,

Sorry, it took me a bit to find the references.

Here are the references for carcinogenic effects of some of Paraguard's ingredients.

Tim
Old 11-27-2011, 03:02 AM

Kinda just answered my own question...
I picked up a very unique misbar clownfish today that was in a system with a puffer that had a obvious ick issue.
Got home and preped a FW bath for him. 2 deg warmer, .10 PH less, 5 drops methelyne blue. He sailed clean threw 25 min and didnt show any signs of stress until 33 min at which point I stopped
Old 01-22-2012, 03:38 AM

AquaticFinatic is on a distinguished road

i picked up a white cheek tang that had been in jl aquatics for 3-4 weeks from what i was told. looked fine and has been in my display tank for a week now. today he is showing signs of a few spots(white) should i pull him out and fresh dip him? i haven't got a qt big enough for him as hes over 5" long. he is in a 200g right now with my other fish. thanks

Loudest part of my system would be the nagging sound I hear on a regular basis about how much time and money I spend on the tank.