Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-17-2006, 12:50 AM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default no pics

Niloc
sorry no pics but i drafted the following image to help you visualize it. Its in four steps cuz I can't draw 3d.

1) The first top left pic is the plywood slab for the most narrow footprint of your tank (my tank was a 48x48x30 cube so the most narrow footprint was putting it on its side for a 30"x48" footprint)

2) top right - I added three 2x6 across (screw down with many screws)
3) bottom left - I added two 2x6 lengthwise (screw down with many screws)
4) bottom right - I put two 50' ropes through the opening you will have from the different layers of 2x6 wood and once the tank is on, screwed some pieces of 2x6's along the back and sides to keep it in place. Just the weight alone should keep the tank on the sleigh but you can use some straps to hold it down too.

hope that helps.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:44 AM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

wow thats awesome. i went and got some supplies tonight to start it before i seen you picture but ill have to get some more. i bought a 3/4" melamine board for the base it has industrial strenght mdf in between and the melamine is super slippery so i'm thinking it will help with sliding. thanks alot for the input chin, thats awesome i feel a little more positive about bringing this beast up now. those are really cool dimensions you have as well.

my tank setup
Old 09-17-2006, 03:29 AM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road
Default Similar experience

I am glad not to be in your shoes. I have a custom 250 gal glass tank which took a year to build. It was at least 800 lb. It took my contractor and 5 guys to carry it into my house. They chipped the corner on the brick carrying it up the front steps. Thank God it didn't break the tank and the chip is on the back and not visible. They could hardly lift it onto the stand. I don't think they could have carried it up a flight of stairs.

Good luck with the move
Shane
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few
Old 09-17-2006, 05:41 AM

cprowler is on a distinguished road

I working in Abby next week except wed and could help if it's after work on one of thoes days.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:07 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Using that sled & with enough guys, Chin's tank wasn't nearly as nasty to get down a narrow flight of stairs as it could have been.

Anthony
Old 09-17-2006, 08:03 AM

thanks bill i'll let you know, i appreciate it. i'm going to build the sled tomorrow and post some pics

my tank setup
Old 09-18-2006, 02:39 AM

well i built the skid today with the help of chin's drawing, thanks again chin, i modded it a little, i'm going to add 1/2" round to the front and back ends of the skid so that it wont catch the carpet and stairs and hopefully roll up if it does get stuck. i also bought 3 100ft ropes for pulling the skid up and 2 tie downs for attaching the tank to the skid. i also got this awesome set of lighting from home depot today to light up the inside of the stand for working. it is 3 20w halogens, they are only roughed in right now so that there is light to work in there to do plumbing. once i get my profilux controller i will really clean up all the wiring for all equipment. i've got the supplies for doing the wiring just a matter of assembling the tank. heres some pics

my tank setup
Old 09-18-2006, 03:39 AM

Sebae is on a distinguished road

Something you might want to consider, those studs are meant for vertical support not horizontal.Wider might be better as well. Just a thought.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:46 AM

good point, what if i did another 2x4 on each side? would that be strong enough?

my tank setup
Old 09-18-2006, 05:31 AM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default additional support

Colin looks good and looks...... familiar
Suggestion: Since your tank's longer than mine, I would put in additional cross planks (two 2x6s) in between whats there now. I would do this because you are using melamine base which is really just particle board. Any concentration of heavy weight in between those cross planks will cause the melamine to flex (this may occur when going up or down stairs). The main concern is that the flexing will cause the melamine to crumble around where the screws are located causing the melamine to break away from the 2x6 platform - not so bad if you are on flat ground but could be pretty inconvenient if halfway up the stairs.
Then I would do what you asked about putting a 2x4 on the sides but I would go with 2x6 and make sure you put a couple of 2.5" - 3" screws on each of the ends of the cross planks and every 6 inches along the long planks. The 2x6 will also serve to brace the sides of the tank from sliding.
That should make the sleigh pretty strong and reinforce the horizontal support.
Good luck.