Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-05-2011, 02:32 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
That's pretty much the stance I am taking on the issue. I personally I'll quarantine all fish before they go into the main tank. It might be a different story if I didn't have another tank to use. I won't go buy an all new setup just to quarantine in a 29 gal instead of a 10. This is just the decision I've made based on the wealth of information that I've read.

Daniella, do you treat all new fish hen you qt before you introduce them to the display tank, or do you use it only as needed?
If you have decided to use a quarantine tank then you should do so with every purchase otherwise there is no benefit to it. Not all pathogins are visible on the fish or cause immediate odd behavior.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:17 AM

Baldy is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the misconception. I plan on quarantining all new additions, I was wondering whether to treat all new additions with hyposalinity while in qt, or only if needed.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:58 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
I wouldn't concern yourself over this thread any more, there's always someone on every forum who is critical about every idea that isn't their own. There are many ways to run a very successful tank and hopefully most people will be open-minded enough to look at all suggestions and decide for themselves what route they wish to go. If there was only one fool proof way of doing things then we could all buy the manual and have no need for this forum.
Very well put, thank you for the comments.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

If you want to make sure that you will not introduce ick, then yes you must treat with hyposalinity each new addition. It must be done with a good refractometer though, not a hydrometer as they are not precise enough. It's sad, it's long but with some liverock there is no need to do water change much.

I did an exception with my niger trigger wich I treated with Seachem Paraguard for 3 weeks because of a popeye so for him I did not use hypo treatment because the paraguard already kill the ick and some other parasites. Paraguard did not kill my liverock biofilter. It's never a good idea to combine hyposalinity with other medication.

Usualy hyposalinity does not stress the fish. The main problem come when you have some sensitive fish that must eat live food, like a mandarin because hypo kill all pods and invertebrates. Then maybe a simple observation for these would be ok. Mandarins are not very susceptible to ick anyway as they produce a very thick mucus.

You should use common sense too. Some fish are much less susceptible to ick. I would definitly treat all tang and all fish that are known to be susceptible to ich. The most important thing is a proper observation period of 4 weeks minimum to make sure you don't bring velvet in your tank. Marine velvet is a deadly thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Sorry for the misconception. I plan on quarantining all new additions, I was wondering whether to treat all new additions with hyposalinity while in qt, or only if needed.

Last edited by daniella3d; 03-05-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:35 PM

I am not saying you will have problems, but you may endup losing all of your fish. Just look in this forum and see some threads about people losing like 25 fish or so. Sad isn't?

Some of these people were also for a long time, mush longer then you, in this hobby and never quarantined, never had a problem and then one day, bam.

If what I said is not the goldy truth, then saying that all aquariums have ich is even farther from that goldy truth.

what I am saying here is that stories like these don't have to be and could have been avoided if only the person would have done a proper quarantine:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...ghlight=velvet

some of the worst:

Edit: list of loses as of 10:00am July 1/09: (26 Dead) (8 Alive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
Well Daniella3d, good for you... In my case I have only ever lost one fish to ICH, a Powder Blue, and that was almost 3 years ago, when my tank was new. So in saying that, I am quit successful with my fish, without quarantining or hypo. So explain why that is, I don't quarantine anything. As you state it, I should be having lots of problems then.... HMMMMMM..... As you stated also holds true for me "no ich. None, niet. Never any outbreak, nothing"
Old 03-05-2011, 06:02 PM

ensquire is on a distinguished road

Wow , Copperband cop and QT expert. She is a busy girl.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 AM

wow, and you were the one telling me to move on? looks like you're on a personal vendette for some reason. get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensquire View Post
Wow , Copperband cop and QT expert. She is a busy girl.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:08 AM

Baldy is on a distinguished road

Wow, this topic really seems to bring out the worst
Old 03-06-2011, 02:05 AM

ensquire is on a distinguished road

I just find it annoying that anyone who disagrees with your practices or opinion is treated like a fish abuser or being less intelligent than you. As already stated on this thread " If there was one way of doing things in this hobby.........."
Your posts are so confrontational when your opinion is not taken as fishkeeping gospel.
And now I am over it. tout fini

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
wow, and you were the one telling me to move on? looks like you're on a personal vendette for some reason. get over it.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:22 AM

Well that's your perception. I have not said anything like this and if you want to think that way than it's your own decision. You can understand what ever you want but you can't say that I have said something that I have NOT say or meat. YOu seem to have no clue what I am saying or meaning.

I don't even know where you took the part of "less intelligent than you" thing...pretty wierd. I just tought that some advise given here about not doing a quarantine was a bad advise and I still thing it is a bad advise and will always thing it is a bad advise because it is a bad advise. just period here and end of story.

What if the person listen to this advise and get marine velvet and lose all the fish? yeah right. there might be more than one way to do things in this hobby but recommanding not to do quarantine is not the right way to do it.

Heck, have you even read the threads I posted here? you don't have to go very far in this forum to see it's not a good way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensquire View Post
I just find it annoying that anyone who disagrees with your practices or opinion is treated like a fish abuser or being less intelligent than you. As already stated on this thread " If there was one way of doing things in this hobby.........."
Your posts are so confrontational when your opinion is not taken as fishkeeping gospel.
And now I am over it. tout fini