Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I'll wait until the OP chimes in as I dont want to hijack.

sounds like right on topic
Old 10-21-2012, 04:08 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

So to mount these I used coat hangers that I cut to put between the Sol modules and used picture frame hangers to hang these little Ecoxotic fixtures. It looks as though there is a red strip that is beeming down in to the tank, but it just looks like that on the mesh screen and not in the tank.

Here they are with the reds on:

And the reds off:

My settings on my Sols are at 15%White 25%Blue 35%Royal Blue in both pics.

There is alot of different color combos that can be used with these, here's a pic of the remote for an example:

Old 10-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post

There is alot of different color combos that can be used with these, here's a pic of the remote for an example:

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen for fish tanks. It certainly helps to customize the lighting.

On a side note I suddenly want smarties

Brad, are you telling me you spent how much and you still need MOAR lighting???

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Brad, nothing wrong with the lights you got except they haven't caught up to the proper colors. so many out there are still using a cool white/royal blue combo which sucks for reds. the good DIY ones are using a combo of different whites, royal blue, regular blue, and true violet. some are adding green and red to thoes also, but in my opinion you only need the green and red if you are only using cool white, if you go to nutral white and warm white you get green and red in there spectrum.

the issue isn't the technology but rather the narrow spectrum of LEDs and not understanding this when you put a system togeather. your radium uses a combanation of all colors of light to make the 20K color, but you can get 20K from a royal blue LED just using the blue part of the spectrum, so no red or green. the lack of the other two colors is what will cause some others not to show up good.

you could probably add a strip to each LED that has two true violets, 1 red and one green to each light. put the green and reds on one dimmer and the TV's on another so you can just add as much as you need, problem is it won't be sync'ed with your lights you have now.

Pick Milad's ear with what you have and how to set it up. he is close to you and has realy been getting into the full spectrum side.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
further on this, it isn't about making it look a certain color, it's about it being a certain color. My pink and blue milli was pink with blue, even out of the tank in daylight. Now it's a blue milli, no pink. you can blast all the red at it you want, and maybe make it (and the tang) look red or pink, but it isn't
Brad I don't know if this has any relevance but I have a pink and blue millie that I got from a frag form Wendell (OA) years ago. I've had it under 250w 10k xms, radiums and 150w 10k ushio's. When it was high up in the lights, (xm's and radiums) it stayed pink and blue but when it was at the bottom of the tank and shaded, it went all blue, under the 150w light it was brown with blue tints. Right now it is under radiums and definitely pink and blue......I'm thinking you have a lower light situation, not really something you want to hear after spending money on leds but I can't help but think that 150 watts of light is the same no matter what kind of lights we use

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Marie, I would agree only if the other corals around it were acting the same. But this one is right up under the light, maybe 6inches under waterline. I have a pink milli, same height on the other side of the tank, it's doing incredible, holding it's pink very well. I'm not saying lack of light isn't it though, because it was in the same spot under the 400w. And you're right, one SOL unit is not anywhere near a 400w MH bulb in intensity.

Sounds like I need to supplement the LED with MH bulbs
Old 10-22-2012, 03:35 PM

PurpleMonkey is on a distinguished road

+1 to adding some supplemental LEDS... Check out the Ocean's White 3-up led and some violets
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

Aquattro

I have a brilliant idea for you....

How about you send over some frags and ill put them under a LED full spectrum build and in a couple weeks you can see if it makes a substantial difference to you...
Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milad View Post
Aquattro

I have a brilliant idea for you....

How about you send over some frags and ill put them under a LED full spectrum build and in a couple weeks you can see if it makes a substantial difference to you...
That's not altogether a bad idea. Let me figure that out, and we'll see what we can do
Old 10-23-2012, 04:28 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
That's not altogether a bad idea. Let me figure that out, and we'll see what we can do
I would of course purchase them off you. Just give me a good deal and pick the ones that are orange/red/pink that you feel arent giving their true color.