Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 PM

letsdiscus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataller View Post
Hello there.

I am not an expert by any means, however, I might be able to save you a head ache though.

I have a very similar setup as you do. Herbie to a basement sump. If you would like I could probably find some pictures.

I see that your gate valve is display side, not sump side.

You will find that you get noisy cavitation by having the gate valve at the top. You should plumb in the gate valve as close to the water line in the sump as possible. That way the entire drain will be full of water until the end. It is easier to push the air bubble out of the drain that way.

If anyone disagrees please post, I would hate to steer him wrong. This was however, my experience in the past with my tank.

Adam
Thanks Adam. Unfortunately i have glued the ball valve already and there is no room to cut the PVC and join it back with Union. Will wait to see how i can control the flow/noise once i start the leak test.

Many thanks for your inputs. Would appreciate if you can share your setup pics as well.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:59 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

You could always just add another one in the basement and leave the top one wide open, if it becomes a problem.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak View Post
You could always just add another one in the basement and leave the top one wide open, if it becomes a problem.
Thanks Seriak.. I guess I will keep this option open for now once i test the plumbing with water..
Old 09-10-2013, 08:50 PM

Default Tank Stand- Dry Bar in the Stand...

Got some more work done lately.. My current stand is from the old Marineland 90 Gallon cube. The stand was open from the back and was lower for the earlier plan of having the sump under it.

Had to add 4x4's on the base to increase the height and sealed off the back with added 2x4's solid Oak.

Stand view from back-

My upcomming Bar in the making-

Oak finish trim for the 4x4's on the stand base

Front view

Top view

Complete-front view

Last edited by letsdiscus; 09-10-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-10-2013, 09:17 PM

madchild is on a distinguished road

Very cool idea!!!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madchild View Post
Very cool idea!!!!!
Thanks. Can't wait for the setup to be ready so i can start enjoying my drinks sitting next to it..
Old 09-15-2013, 06:34 PM

Default Mitras LED

Managed to get the LED lights fitting done this weekend..

Had my GHL Mitras LED delivered a few weeks back....Had to take sometime to run around different hardware stores to hunt for the compatible hanging screw which would fit in the supplied GHL hanging bolt.

The size is Metric 0.6mm.

I was not able to find a Dowel hanging screw which would have been ideal to fit one end(Metric size) in the supplied hanging bolt and the other end(wooden screw threads) into the studs through the dry wall ceiling.

Reviewed few threads on GHL Mitras forum to get some ideas, also reached out to Michael (Aqua Digital) to check if GHL could supply the compatible Dowel screw. Finally decided to place a wood strip in between the Ceiling Dry wall and the Studs. Materials used..

1. 2x2 Solid Oak strip from HD (Roughly $7/- )
2. 2 nos. M6x25 Nuts(screws) -(BIN # 3095 in HD) ($0.49/- each)

Pictures...

Mitras Unpacking

Hanging Assembly-

Final Product-

Old 09-15-2013, 10:43 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Looks great! Are you going to snip the excess cable or just roll it up? I have been debating snipping mine but no one see's it in the fish room but me. Still bugs me though.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:49 AM

Thanks for your feedback.. At the moment not decided to snip the cable..Will probably do once I have the full setup running but wud try to leave some extra length just in case..
Old 09-24-2013, 03:33 PM

Default Mitras LED

Re-attaching the pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsdiscus View Post
Managed to get the LED lights fitting done this weekend..

Had my GHL Mitras LED delivered a few weeks back....Had to take sometime to run around different hardware stores to hunt for the compatible hanging screw which would fit in the supplied GHL hanging bolt.

The size is Metric 0.6mm.

I was not able to find a Dowel hanging screw which would have been ideal to fit one end(Metric size) in the supplied hanging bolt and the other end(wooden screw threads) into the studs through the dry wall ceiling.

Reviewed few threads on GHL Mitras forum to get some ideas, also reached out to Michael (Aqua Digital) to check if GHL could supply the compatible Dowel screw. Finally decided to place a wood strip in between the Ceiling Dry wall and the Studs. Materials used..

1. 2x2 Solid Oak strip from HD (Roughly $7/- )
2. 2 nos. M6x25 Nuts(screws) -(BIN # 3095 in HD) ($0.49/- each)

Pictures...

Mitras Unpacking

Hanging Assembly-

Final Product-

Tags
93 gallon startphire cube, reef