Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-10-2010, 07:49 PM

Megalodon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Megalodon

GFO is so expensive though. I'm trying to wean my tank off it with chaeto however phosphates don't appear to be consumed as readily as nitrate. I hear it's the same problem with a carbon source, the bacteria consume nitrate and phosphates in a ratio that leaves excess phosphate. There's some reefers recommending to go back to bio balls because of this, LOL. I'm not sure if this is true or not. Oh well, GFO stays in my tank for now. So does the chaeto.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:57 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

The NP biopellets work well but I agree that they take out more N than P, because of this I'm running GFO in a phosban reactor. Between the two I'm happy with my phosphate levels.
Levi
Old 07-10-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
The NP biopellets work well but I agree that they take out more N than P, because of this I'm running GFO in a phosban reactor. Between the two I'm happy with my phosphate levels.
Levi
I wonder about that bio-ball theory. Some claim to have struck a balance by re-indroducing bio-balls (or other nitrate factories), which increases macro algae growth, or, skimmate with carbon source/bio pellets, and results in almost no phosphates or nitrates. It would save a lot of money on GFO if true.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:41 PM

bioload is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
I wonder about that bio-ball theory. Some claim to have struck a balance by re-indroducing bio-balls (or other nitrate factories), which increases macro algae growth, or, skimmate with carbon source/bio pellets, and results in almost no phosphates or nitrates. It would save a lot of money on GFO if true.
Interesting?

Not entirely sure what has happened? The day 2 test using 24/7 compact fluorescent lighting showed an increase in the level of nitrate.

I may have botched the last series of test and the results somewhere are not correct, or there is some nitrate being released back into the system with 24hr lighting. I guess that is why many test are required before coming to a conclusion, which is why I'll not make any regarding 24hr lighting at the moment....more to come.

Regardless, I think I can say that Algal tests were positive overall and I will continue to use on my 75gallon. I've started continuous flow between the scrubber and DT using the MJ400 and will monitor growth and system nitrate in coming weeks.

Keep in mind that the tank has no other means of export at the moment in the form of a skimmer or water changes and there are no plans currently to start.

One day I'll be finished......then What?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:44 AM

Day 2 - Didn't expect to much change

Old 07-14-2010, 08:55 PM

What the heck's going on?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 PM

Theory... All the pods and other critters in the algae started dieing after being removed from the main tank, thus resulting in the eventual creation of nitrates. Not sure if that's the case or not (or even possible) but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:24 PM

Not sure myself, and more test would be required, but there may be negative effects of running macroalgae lighting 24/7.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Gaffer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioload View Post
Not sure myself, and more test would be required, but there may be negative effects of running macroalgae lighting 24/7.
No too sure, but I run mine 24/7 in my sump & there have been no ill effects.

Many people run it 24/7, but many have switched to alternate lighting to the main tank in an effort to control pH swings created by CO2 caused by respiration of the macros.

I suspect the changes in water chemistry you are seeing from the closed system you have running there. It could be that the pods etc dieing as Mega suggested, or the cheato could be dieing as a result of a lack of nutrients and increased photocylce.

Andrew

Last edited by Gaffer; 07-15-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:14 PM

Sunee is on a distinguished road

One possibility is that there is inadequate CO2 to support photosynthesis with 24/7 lighting in your system. You could try changing to 18 hours light or increase flow to your algae tank which would hopefully increase the CO2 supply.

You could try many things but the important thing is that it works for you. Great test, I found it very interesting!