Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-10-2013, 07:43 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

I didn't read through the whole thread just 1st page, but did anyone mentioned that you need steady water level in the sump?
If you don't have auto water top off, the sump level will fluctuate and you will have to constantly adjust skimmer level.
I have Reef Octopus bubble Blaster 3000 pump in my skimmer (Not SRO)and it is tremulously powerful and quiet skimmer.
But you need constant water level for sure.
hth
Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
I didn't read through the whole thread just 1st page, but did anyone mentioned that you need steady water level in the sump?
If you don't have auto water top off, the sump level will fluctuate and you will have to constantly adjust skimmer level.
I have Reef Octopus bubble Blaster 3000 pump in my skimmer (Not SRO)and it is tremulously powerful and quiet skimmer.
But you need constant water level for sure.
hth
Yup, no worries there, have always run the Tunze ATO

Got it back in the sump, not working great, but have to leave it for a bit to see what happens.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 03-11-2013, 06:45 PM

Have you checked for skimmer internal leaks? If the skimmer does not hold water level steady enough the internal water level in the skimmer will fluctuate.
Could it be that something is leaking? valve, water passing out of the skimmer through the fitting, cracked chamber, loose plastic screws?

Anything intermittently blocking the water output from skimmer?

Other then that check the amps of the pump with clamp on Amp meter when it changes the level to see if Amp reading will fluctuate when water level changes.
See if there is any blockage or debris in the pump volute or impeller body or shaft.

You may be right though to suspect the pump. Because they do have internal "SMART" circuit that is not so smart.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:14 AM

Well tried to run this thing as Denny did, but tonight it screwed up again, continually rising, until I had to unplug it to reset it. Once plugged back in it seems fine again. Fine being, stable water level in unit, but overall still not much skimmate, but again if this can't stay stable, then I can understand no skimmate production.

Have contacted LFS and manufacturer, this just won't due anymore. Hopefully something can be done.

Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker

Last edited by globaldesigns; 03-13-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 PM

It does sound frustrating for sure.

Let’s try something else.

By looking at the pictures it looks like you don’t have any air intake control on your skimmer, but one thing comes to mind, try to get a restrictor for the air intake line.

I know, it sounds counterproductive however sometimes skimmers have larger pumps then needed in order to satisfy nova day’s market demands for more air intake.

Bubble Blaster 3000 pulls 1200-1400L of air per hour, if skimmer contact chamber is too small it will not produce stable foaming. Also you may want to try to stabilize foam by inserting a tight ball of plastic netting inside the skimmer it will not reduce water flow through but will brake larger bubbles in to smaller ones as well as reduce turbulence.

The finer the adjustments the better in terms of air control valve.

So back to air control: Try restricting the air flow it might make it more stable. It will also make bubbles smaller and foam denser. It will also make the pump to push more water through the skimmer so prepare for higher level or remove skimmer waste collection cup and then adjust. If pump will stay stable then with finer bubbles you will get better skimmate.

Nevertheless if pump is fine after power down and then fluctuates again it is indeed sounds like a malfunction.

Last edited by RuGlu6; 03-13-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
It does sound frustrating for sure.

Let’s try something else.

By looking at the pictures it looks like you don’t have any air intake control on your skimmer, but one thing comes to mind, try to get a restrictor for the air intake line.

I know, it sounds counterproductive however sometimes skimmers have larger pumps then needed in order to satisfy nova day’s market demands for more air intake.

Bubble Blaster 3000 pulls 1200-1400L of air per hour, if skimmer contact chamber is too small it will not produce stable foaming. Also you may want to try to stabilize foam by inserting a tight ball of plastic netting inside the skimmer it will not reduce water flow through but will brake larger bubbles in to smaller ones as well as reduce turbulence.

The finer the adjustments the better in terms of air control valve.

So back to air control: Try restricting the air flow it might make it more stable. It will also make bubbles smaller and foam denser. It will also make the pump to push more water through the skimmer so prepare for higher level or remove skimmer waste collection cup and then adjust. If pump will stay stable then with finer bubbles you will get better skimmate.

Nevertheless if pump is fine after power down and then fluctuates again it is indeed sounds like a malfunction.
Actually I did have one on there, I added it to make fine adjustments. Removed as the manufacturere stated not to do this. It however didn't help the instability of water volume/flow of skimmer, when I had it on.

LFS won't do anything, unless manufacturer will ok a pump swap. This is becuase it has been 4 months. Not fun, since this has been a problem from the get go... So I am trying to get Coralvue to ok the swap from LFS, or send me a new pump.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 PM

Finally found a video of my actual model on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xvlC2D67zg

This video shows the agressiveness of the internal water. Within the skimmer cup column you will notice it is like rapids, instead of a nice bubble head rising to the top. Is this what I should be doing?

If this is the case, maybe I am tuning this thing wrong. So I have put it back in the sump as the video shows, and how others here explained. I will let it settle, and eventually it will go crazy like the video, I will then adjust accordingly. Then I will see if it can hold this level and aggressiveness.

If this is the case, boy this skimmer functions totally different to any skimmer I had before.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM

Well, went to LFS to get new pump, but of course the new one is slightly different than what I had for mounting.

Jeremy from Coralvue, called me while I was in the store. I went home to take a picture of my venturi, as I always had a feeling it was that. I have included the image I sent.

Jeremy's comments: "That is definitely your issue. I am surprised it was working at all."

Problem is that the air nozzle is going into the inner chamber, and is pretty close to the inner wall. This probably causing poor air flow, especially if things like salt, snails, debris plug it up. This causing my up and down inconsistancies and poor bubble head and no skimmate. When I unplug, it probably backflushes it clean, until it happens again. Even if it didn't plug up, skimming abilities probably would always be next to nothing, like I have been experiencing.

So I am glad to finally figure things out. Looking forward to having a new skimmer that works properly. YIPPPPEEEE!!!

I do want to thank Jeremy from Coralvue, also Dave and Denny at Concepts. They all were probably very frustrated with my persistence, but I am glad to finally get a resolution, and thanks to you all!!!

Now I wait for the new part.

Last edited by globaldesigns; 03-14-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

even if we did suspect the chaps were on a little tight... there's no denying that's a real issue! glad you sorted it out... i would have probably run it over by now lol.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
even if we did suspect the chaps were on a little tight... there's no denying that's a real issue! glad you sorted it out... i would have probably run it over by now lol.
Oh believe me... I was ready to do many things to this thing, was even measuring and looking at Bubble Kings, etc. Hopefully things work as they should.

And I DON'T wear chaps anymore. JEEEEEZZZZ, I will never live that down will I.