Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Bulk Reef Supply

Old 11-01-2010, 05:27 AM

Binare is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer View Post
The brokerage company charges the GST
But BRS is also charging PST, which I do not pay being In alberta. A lot of the products are duty free as well, quick search of the tariff will show that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to order a 2 part kit along with a couple pumps. All of which is duty free, just trying to understand where the extra ten percent is going.

Last edited by Binare; 11-01-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:34 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binare View Post
But BRS is also charging PST, which I do not pay being In alberta. A lot of the products are duty free as well, quick search of the tariff will show that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to order a 2 part kit along with a couple pumps. All of which is duty free, just trying to understand where the extra ten percent is going.
maybe like the scam Canada Post has going. I sent a package to BC (fr Alberta) and had to pay their tax.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:00 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
maybe like the scam Canada Post has going. I sent a package to BC (fr Alberta) and had to pay their tax.
were you a business selling somthing to some one in BC?

If so they collect the HST for the BC goverment, this was brough in because to many peple were buying stuff from alberta and having it shipped to BC to avoid taxes. just like we used to get my mom to buy stuff from the sears or brick in edmonton and set to pick up to victoria so we could save on the taxes can't do that either anymore.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:29 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I have to say I like knowing my upfront cost when I order with BRS. I also feel a twinge or two when I see the shipping/brokerage fees, but I just solve it by making large orders to justify the shipping.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I do the same but I just did a test checkout for when I start buying the additives by the 5g pail and OUCH it was like $300 to ship the four pails.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:06 AM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately some companies do incorporate brokerage fees and tax's all at once and yes it's expensive. I live close to the border and pick up in the U.S.A. and bring it back myself. Not everybody can do this..I know but it works well for me. As for BRS shipping policies I guess the old saying applies, if you don't like it-go elswhere.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:12 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Yeah I do the same but I just did a test checkout for when I start buying the additives by the 5g pail and OUCH it was like $300 to ship the four pails.
I think we need a bulk BRS order.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 AM

fencer is on a distinguished road

request USPS see what happens
Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Bryan is on a distinguished road

I have ordered a number of times from BRS and believe me you are getting a fair deal with their shipping rates. UPS is going to ding you with brokerage fees, duty and taxes + disbursement fees etc.
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...ration+Charges

Shipping has gone up considerably over the last 2 years that USPS is often now much more expensive than UPS, and you are still going to pay the taxes and duty + $5.00 for a customs fee.

No complaints from me with BRS shipping fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkys View Post
Hi,
I hate shipping, taxes and brokerage as much as the next guy however they are real charges that have to be dealt with. Please keep in mind we are located in the US so this is an international transaction. To be clear not only do we not overcharge Canadians on this we loose money on the shipping, tax and brokerage charges.
On the charges
1) The item you are looking at is around 40 pounds which makes it expensive to ship
2) There is a 15% tax which covers the GST , PST and duties to the province where the shipments originally arrive. We charge this on our site and prepay it so it arrives on your doorstep without additional charges and surprise fees. We feel this is the most honest hassle free way of doing business with our customers
3) By shipping all of the packages together on Friday we are able to take part of a program that lowers the brokerage fees enough that we are willing to pay them for you out of our own pockets. For example typical brokerage fees on a $200 package with fed ex or UPS would be almost $50 so this is a huge savings.
I hope this answers your questions