Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-20-2010, 02:01 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet ride View Post
I wouldn't say that, all you need is a little practice. This one am sure you might have already heard, if you are shooting through the glass your lens need to be parallel to the glass. And the on other thing is when your shooting is all the flow in your tank turned off completely, just because if your shooting at 100 or 200 any motion on the subject will show unless your shooting at a high shutter speed.
Ya, I try to shoot straight through the glass most of the time, and I do turn the flow off. Shutter speed is anywhere from 1/4 to 1/60 depending on how much light. Obviously I try to have high light so I can turn up the shutter speed. Do you suggest a different ISO?

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:24 AM

sweet ride is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Ya, I try to shoot straight through the glass most of the time, and I do turn the flow off. Shutter speed is anywhere from 1/4 to 1/60 depending on how much light. Obviously I try to have high light so I can turn up the shutter speed. Do you suggest a different ISO?
unless you have a very steady hands here is that is one of the reason why your photos are a little blur, and it's not your focusing. when you shoot freehand I would recommend at the very least shutter speed of 120, or even 200. to compensate with this try sooting at 400 ISO.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:20 PM

I took some pics of my other tank yesterday too (post #63).

Thanks, I will try your suggestions. I keep meaning to buy a tripod, but it's one of those things I never seem to remember to do.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-20-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:14 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Any new pictures

360 Reef Tank
Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 AM

Hehe...no not right now. A couple of my new little buddies weren't impressed with the Coral Rx dip. They will be fine, just need a couple weeks to color up again. I will post pics when I'm back for Christmas.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:09 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

looking good love the duncan shot A+
Old 01-01-2011, 11:47 PM

New lights today! Only took me a year and a half to get them finished! Tank is now sporting 2x250 SE Phoenix in PFO reflectors on Vertex ballasts and a 2x54w Tek retrofit with UVL Super Actinics. Yes, I said single end Phoenix. Got those puppies from The Reef Shoppe. I think they are a bit bluer than the DE version, but just as much pop. Very nice bulbs. With the new halides and new actinics though the tank is rather blue...will look better in a week when they all burn in. Sure is nice to have lighting across the entire 48" length! Some of you may remember I just had a 36" fixture on there up until now.

Aside from the new lights, I'm getting some cyano growth on the rock pile on the right. Possibly caused by the Coralife 10K halide that was on that side of the tank for the last couple months. So hopefully that will resolve with the new bulbs. Also getting a bit more Valonia again, so I added another Emerald crab (have two now).

Some of my brain corals are slowly receding for some unknown reason. My old Favia, two Lobophyllia, and a Platygyra. I have no idea what's up with the Favia or one of the Lobos, but the other Lobo had a frag fall onto it and damage it which started the recession. It continued to recede quite a bit after that although I think it is on the mend now. The Platygyra I bought already partially receded (from stray voltage) in mid-November. It looked like it was on the mend a week after I brought it home, but has suddenly started receding again. It's now down to just a toonie size, and I would be surprised if it recovers. I would be sad to lose it as it is quite a nice Australian piece.

Last time I was having issues with brain corals it was from my Filefish feasting (he was re-homed), and possibly also because of sudden use of Zeolite rocks (sucks nutrients out aggressively) which i'm not using anymore. This time, neither could be an issue and I have no idea what's happening with them.

So...here are the new lights. As usual, the GSP on the back wall of the tank is not out. It seems to know when I take the camera out and it disappears!

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:05 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Mindy the tank is looking SWEET GIRLY and those LPS and leathers on the right should be in my tank .
Old 01-02-2011, 02:41 AM

Thanks meester! I really need to get around to drilling plugs into the rock. I hate epoxy. I always knock colonies off the rock. At least I finally got the lights done...maybe in 6 months I'll have the rock drilled.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:52 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Looking good! That Bird's Nest in the left center: It looks pinkish on top and yellow on the bottom. I assume it's the lighting, but it looks pretty cool.