Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-24-2014, 01:11 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post

I don't know how the guys that start with only dry rock do it. Must take a long time before it becomes fully live the same as regular live rock.
Agreed, I don't know how they deal with the issues. I guess some don't. I'd never do this again though, just not worth the grief I'm dealing with. This is supposed to be relaxing
Old 10-24-2014, 01:12 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Sorry about the problems Brad. Hope it turns around
Thanks Doug. I'm sure it will, just needs some extra coaxing -lol
Old 10-24-2014, 01:40 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yeah, I still remember when I added dry rock to my tanks a couple years ago. Despite cycling it in my QT for a couple months, with lots of rinsing, Igod ill had a little P04 spike after adding it to my display tanks. However, it was well mixed with my existing live rock (50:50), so didn't take too long to stabilize in the tank. But it took quite a while longer before coralline finally covered it, and it ceased trapping detritus (which the GHA loves).

I don't know how the guys that start with only dry rock do it. Must take a long time before it becomes fully live the i same as regular live rock.
I found it easy to use , our new setup has no live what so ever as well I encountered no algae blooms or readable nitrates or phosphates and Still don't

I did start carbon dosing vinegar the day water was filled and tank is running with all kinds of corals and fish......guess I got lucky

No acid wash , bleach , 3 mths in the dark etc. Just plain old husbandry and a little bacteria help .

No water changes yet since initial fill and still on my first batch of gfo

I do read of issues all the time though with it so there must be some merit to it for sure
Old 10-24-2014, 01:44 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
I found it easy to use , our new setup has no live what so ever as well I encountered no algae blooms or readable nitrates or phosphates and Still don't

I did start carbon dosing vinegar the day water was filled and tank is running with all kinds of corals and fish......guess I got lucky

No acid wash , bleach , 3 mths in the dark etc. Just plain old husbandry and a little bacteria help .

No water changes yet since initial fill and still on my first batch of gfo

I do read of issues all the time though with it so there must be some merit to it for sure
Your vinegar dosing from day 1 probably helped. And what "bacteria help" did you use? You also probably had a good skimmer, so P04 didn't have a chance to form in the water.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:44 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about the losses Brad.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:53 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Your vinegar dosing from day 1 probably helped. And what "bacteria help" did you use? You also probably had a good skimmer, so P04 didn't have a chance to form in the water.
The natural bacteria the system grew

It did and the skimmers rated prob double , the key was staying on top from the beginning as well while the tank has fish their bioload I'd consider small as they are small fish

Other than that it's a normal running reef
Old 10-24-2014, 02:05 AM
Just a guy..

I'm thinking of vodka dosing, and maybe vinegar in the tank. I've stayed on top of things as best I can with all the other stuff going on, and overall I've done well. I had lots of GHA, and that's all gone, and the rock is mostly bare. I have feather dusters growing, and sponges in the sump, so it's getting there, and I'm sure if I'm patient enough, things will work out.
Dosing foz down again, as stopping saw PO4 rise again, so I'll probably keep that going for another few months. NO3 is less than 3ppm, so manageable, and I'm reducing my water changes to 25% bi-weekly going forward. Give things a chance to settle in.
Just trying to keep fish alive for now, tank is overall nice, and maybe I need Wayne to take some close ups PO4 is inhibiting growth I suspect, but things are growing.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:54 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Argh
Sorry to hear I'm not the only one with issues
Old 10-24-2014, 02:48 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about your troubles Brad. I know of lots of people having trouble with dry rock from all sorts of different sources. Some of my clients have dry rock in their tanks too, and the tanks are terrible to maintain. It seems like it takes 8-12 months just for it to look half decent. I'm with you - I'd rather just pay more and enjoy the tank now. Looking at that last pic you posted and the age of the tank, I'm guessing you have at least another 3 months battle ahead. At least you have real lights over it!

I have some old, old live rock that's been cooking in vats for years - some of it like 6 years. Sometimes the barrel is only half filled with (very salty) water. It has a MaxiJet, no heater. Over the years I have added this to my tanks, removed it from tanks, it's like the rotating rock bin. Even using this old, lifeless, white rock is so much better than the dry rock. Probably because instead of being "dead" it is "sterilized". Haha!

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Just a guy..

Mindy, ya, I would guess another 3 - 6 months. However, I've now lost all my fish and am considering not doing this anymore