Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-18-2011, 06:27 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
Oh no pictures again hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm its a trend here
sorry about your bad luck dude what made you change Salt?

I was using Seachem and every time I did a water change the tank would take a major step backwards. Coral dying, coralline bleaching etc. I switched over to Reefers Best and now I'm onto another salt, it's in a Grey pail, I don't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

Things have stabilized for the most part other than the lost corals from the Seachem water changes. The 2 SPS that survived are actually growing, color is improving. I haven't bought any coral quite in a while until I was sure I was able to keep these two alive long term, so far so good.

Lost a couple of tangs a week or so ago. Nothing too crazy, they kicked the hell out of each other for some reason ( after being in the tank for more than a year together) Came home and both of them were sliced up really bad and succumbed to their injuries a short time later.

I lost a MH Ballast awhile back as well, I just got around to ordering up a new one today, I've been running on two MH's for a... I guess a couple of months now. My Apex Screen died a LONG time ago, I did get it RMA'd but never got around to sending that back either, so I ordered a new one of those this morning as well.

Huh, that's sounds like quite the sob story after I re-read it..lol

Last edited by Parker; 07-18-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I haven't been reefing long but already I know how you can sorta fall out of routine and put things off. I was doing minimal maintenance for a few months when work got nutty. Kien and I had a chat about getting back on the horse and I've been pro-active and all over any issue I can identify. I saw the results in less than a week.

Glad to hear you have some sps still. Water's been tested time to get some frags!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:37 AM

Ignore my aptasia problem, that's next...

Well I guess I have a bit of algae in my tank, but for reference I have never cleaned the back wall

The on coral that's survived it all. The color is starting to come back.. Dez mentioned this one should be whitish with colored tips.. the top of is whit with colored tips even though you can quite tell in the picture..but you can see it has grown..lol

Last edited by Parker; 07-19-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Some decent growth there and it's down pretty low too. Is that mounted to your closed loop intake? If so you better hope it doesn't encrust too much!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Some decent growth there and it's down pretty low too. Is that mounted to your closed loop intake? If so you better hope it doesn't encrust too much!

It is on my closed loop intake, but is hasn't encrusted to it yet.. almost though! I have to figure out where I want to put it but I'm reluctant to move it because it's really starting to do well..
Old 07-20-2011, 06:06 AM
Gold Member

I'd say move it higher but you have very few options for doing that with the current scape. You have the potential with your scape to have some crazy massive colonies...

Sounds like you bought some of those to save time lol. PICS!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
PICS!
Here's couple I snapped this morning prior to heading in to work. They look much better in person. My camera skills leave much to be desired.

I gotta say, I'm a weeeee bit nervous now having these in my tank!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

And just like that you've got more coral by weight than I do. Well done!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:13 PM

My new ballast should be here today as well, so as of this evening I should be back up to three lights instead of two..which will be nice as some of the stuff oun the outside edges is a bit under lit.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:22 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

The edges are a bit underlit. It took me a while to find that mondo stag on the left. Your tank is huge! Even with that bucket sized colony it looks lost in there. It seems that you're getting really good polyp extension already. That's awesome. If you need anything else, just let me know.

Tags
265 gallon, closed loops