Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-03-2013, 08:55 PM

reefbrian is on a distinguished road

You are so right Steve. Can't say it enough, calibrate regularly! Also a good ro/di should be your very first purchase before anything else. I went for a year without one on an existing tank until all of a sudden phosphates went up in my source water. Took me a year to get over the algae outbreak! With the current flooding I am going through the color changing DI resin at an alarming pace! Something is getting through Calgary's water treatment plant that would be in my tank without ro/di

Sent from my LT28i using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-03-2013, 09:16 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

I would see if you can get a copper test, copper is one thing that really affects corals and inverts but seems to be not bad on fish.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:18 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Sorry with your amm and nitrite up it looks like you are having a cycle again ? im not sure why but those suggest that
Old 07-05-2013, 12:12 AM

ScubaGirl is on a distinguished road

Trigger died this morning. I cried....I admit it.

Ammonia is going back up to 1, ph is 7.9 first thing in the morning (turned lights on early to get the trigger out). I'm going to do another water change now and then test again. Got an ammonia remover to put in the canister.

This will be my 3rd water change in 3 weeks, Purigen is the nitrate remover filter medium I have in there. It's a week old. Carbon is 2 weeks old.

Last edited by ScubaGirl; 07-05-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 AM

reefbrian is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that man. That sucks. Have you tested the source water for everything? Just a thought. I know there is something extra in my source water just haven't tested it yet. Burning through DI resin at an alarming pace!

Sent from my LT28i using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 AM

Going to test the tap water now before I do another change tonight. I have to be sure. I just have my typical tank test kits though, nothing else.

Someone also mentioned that I forgot to post SG and it has always been in the 1.024-1.026 range when some evaporation happens. Currently at 1.025 though.
Plus, I do calibrate my refractometer whenever I change the carbon, so every 2nd water change on average.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 AM

At highest point I had 10 large nassarius probably, 10 mexican turbos, 10 astrea, sand sifting star fish, conch, 1 blue hermit, 2 halloween hermits, cleaner shrimp, banded shrimp, pom pom crab, urchin.

MIA is the nassarius (they all used to surface when I fed the fish, now I only see 2), cleaner shrimp, pom pom crab, plus I'm down probably 2 turbos and 3 astreas (but tons of babies). I think my one wrasse is eating my snails too. It seems to harass them.

Huge spaghetti worm population die off (even on the rocks), minimal algae in the tank, some cyano and dinos right now. Now I have probably at least 10 red serpent star fish show up out of nowhere.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:13 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Do you have a second tank (QT) you could set up for your primo livestock whilst you figure this one out? Maybe a fellow CanReefer in town?
Perhaps something is dead behind your rocks? Also live rock doesn't last forever, it's always a good idea to add/change out a piece or two every year or so. Keeps diversity in the good critters.
I still recommend a RODI system, this would only be good for you and your livestock.
Take some water to the LFS and have it tested if you don't have a master kit.
If it were my tank I would be going crazy right about now, as I'm sure you are! GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:37 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Well if u have been doing large water changes and its keeps going maybe its your salt and the water. You are In Alberta were u close to the flooding of any.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:39 AM

Yes, I have Chaloupa. I officially worship the lady, LOL. She has helped me through so much ****. I have had everything go wrong with this tank and she has helped me pick up the pieces. This one is baffling her too. She's leaning toward the kalk treatments that I did for the aptasia. I stopped them 3 water changes ago (about 5 weeks) though so I'd be surprised if it's still having an effect now. Feeling like I have to blame it on something. I have limited corals so it's not likely that something has fallen down in behind. Plus, I have my rock away from the back wall so I can see down and through with no real problem.

It could be that my live rock needs to get switched out a bit. I haven't added anything in 3.5 years. I'm too scared to with all the other problems I've had. I have very little coralline algae.