Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 09-01-2004, 12:49 AM
UnderWorldAquatics

there is the algae free brand magnets, and the magnavore brand magnets for some of the stronger ones out there, I have used the hammer head float version by algae free, and am currently using the great white by algae free, amazing, actually right now too amazing, on 3/4" glass or acrylic I have to use 2 hands and all my body weight to move the magnet, I have it because of some larger tanks I used to service and some larger tanks of my own... on 1 1/2" glass it is still very firm and you have to use some strength to clean with it...

for smaller glass tanks the mag floats work good
Old 09-01-2004, 03:56 AM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza
With out going on about this nope that's not it. When I move the outside magnet the inside one skips-vibrates along trying to stay with the outside one
if that makes any sence. The vibrating motion is what the fish freak about.

Dave
I've seen that before, Dave - not a smooth pull across the glass at all... Too much resistance maybe? Can see how that might be a little freaky to the inhabitants.

Is your size of magnet matched to the glass thickness, or did you go for over-kill? Just curious...

Oh, and check the make and model.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:22 AM

monza is on a distinguished road

Ooohhh really a smooth pull That would be better I'm sure, far from what a have.
It's a Mag- Float model ? 3 1/4x 2 1/2 inches my glass is only 3/8.
I've alway just thought this thing sucks and forgot about it, being to powerful might make sence. It is strong.

Dave
Old 09-01-2004, 04:39 AM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

I just meant that it won't pull smoothly no matter how hard you try. The crazy-strong friction causes the skipping effect, I think, and the magnet rubs across the glass in a series of tiny jumps, and makes that r-r-r-r-r sound.

I mean, strong is good, but too strong may be not so good like you say... I almost bought the middle size Mag float the other day (just barely strong enough) but they were sold out, of course.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:22 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

The mag float is a wimpy magnet at best and is probably trying to cling to the glass.....
Old 09-15-2004, 03:41 AM

Fish is on a distinguished road

I don't use mag floats because I have found them to be really weak and bulky - a big concession to make just ot keep your hands dry. I recently bought a "Aquaruim Systems Twister" magnet from Wai's and it is the best I've ever used. I tied a length of fishing line to it so I don't have to get my hands wet when I move it from one pane of glass to the other. Other than that, it doesn't come off because the magnet is so strong. What I really like about it is the scraping half of the magnet is less than 3/8" thick and fits into any corner or between narrow gaps between rocks and glass. JME.

- Chad
Old 09-15-2004, 12:50 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I kike the mag floats, work fine and the price is right. just get one size bigger than you think you need.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:47 PM

kris_willard is on a distinguished road

I have the hammerhead float on my 90gal AGA. it is rediculously strong, but you pay for what you get. My old lady freaked when she foud out i paid $100 for a magnet, so she went out and bought a Loouis Vitton purse. URGGG they do work well thoough and i would reccomend it to anyone who wants a high quality magnet.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:33 PM

jgoldsney is on a distinguished road

Yikes!!!!! a Louis Vitton Purse must have dented the bank account.
I know someone who has a $1500US Louis Vitton Purse.

And some people say Reef keepers are Crazy $1500 for a humk o leather most likely put together in a sweat shop
Old 09-16-2004, 02:44 AM

kris_willard is on a distinguished road

HAAHA yeh payback is a Bi**h. We actually have a connection where we can get the for REAL cheapso itt wasnt quite that bad.