Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-09-2013, 02:04 AM

KevinK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster Dan View Post
So I went into my local plastics shop to get my acrylic and was in for a bit of a shocker. I was quoted something close to 600-700 bucks for the 1/2" acrylic. I knew it was going to be expensive, maybe getting close to 400 range but was not prepared to hear that.

So, the main box is now going to be 1/2 glass! I feel like this may get condensation problems during warm days, but frig acrylic aint cheap!

I have my order in for the glass, and will use acrylic for the fake front and the overflow (and of course for the curvy bit as well).
Dan, call these guys in coombs:http://www.demxx.com/

i was there 2 weeks ago, and thy had some nice slabs, still with the protective sheeld on it, it was 1 or 1 1/4 thick

When you call, thel them the slabs where in the back left shelter, standing straight up, thy had several sizes.

i cant find the paper, how much thy wanted for it, I wrote it down somewhere.

Cant hurt to call, and if thy have them still, have them send you pictures of it.

i do know thy come down to vic once a week or so.

There might be a good deal, also for 1/4 and 1/2 inch
Old 03-09-2013, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
Dan, call these guys in coombs:http://www.demxx.com/

i was there 2 weeks ago, and thy had some nice slabs, still with the protective sheeld on it, it was 1 or 1 1/4 thick

When you call, thel them the slabs where in the back left shelter, standing straight up, thy had several sizes.

i cant find the paper, how much thy wanted for it, I wrote it down somewhere.

Cant hurt to call, and if thy have them still, have them send you pictures of it.

i do know thy come down to vic once a week or so.

There might be a good deal, also for 1/4 and 1/2 inch

Check the pictures, it is 50% off http://www.demxx.com/index.php?optio...d=26&Itemid=17
Old 03-09-2013, 04:18 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Wow Kevin, they have some cool stuff!
Old 03-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
Wow Kevin, they have some cool stuff!
Sometimes you gust have to snif around, not healthy, thy have to much stuf from what I think, hmmm, I can build this from it,

Same with the acrylick, I wrote pricing down, in case I wanted to build something, but it got lost in, I dont know where.

But in dans case, it might be worth to gust drive up there and sniff, maybe the entire build could end upcin less than $250

The drive up is faster than you think

Ting is, at this time dan wants thicker in the front to avoid condensation,

But than the side and back might start dripping.

One thing to think about might be to set the entire thing in a plywood box, with 1 inch space between side and bottom, and before putting it in, drill each 8 inch or so, holes all around, and than when you placeit in, sprayfoam the entire box.

This to insulate the box, and to avoid condensation on the back and sides.

Thing is, and often overlocked isthe heat penetration / heat loss of a tank threw the sides, I think we all could save 20 to 30% on heating and in dans case cooling, when all sides of a tank that ar not for locking threw, ar insulated well

And as he has to cool afair bit, saving a $ on the cooling, as well as saving the chiller by constantly cicking in would not be to bad

Last edited by KevinK; 03-09-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:17 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duker View Post
Love it, ill help u guys collect the jellies....yippee let's go diving!!
Do your homework on this. I think you may need permits from DFO for collection of jellies. I know of someone else that did this and they were required.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:25 AM

Youngster Dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
Sometimes you gust have to snif around, not healthy, thy have to much stuf from what I think, hmmm, I can build this from it,

Same with the acrylick, I wrote pricing down, in case I wanted to build something, but it got lost in, I dont know where.

But in dans case, it might be worth to gust drive up there and sniff, maybe the entire build could end upcin less than $250

The drive up is faster than you think

Ting is, at this time dan wants thicker in the front to avoid condensation,

But than the side and back might start dripping.

One thing to think about might be to set the entire thing in a plywood box, with 1 inch space between side and bottom, and before putting it in, drill each 8 inch or so, holes all around, and than when you placeit in, sprayfoam the entire box.

This to insulate the box, and to avoid condensation on the back and sides.

Thing is, and often overlocked isthe heat penetration / heat loss of a tank threw the sides, I think we all could save 20 to 30% on heating and in dans case cooling, when all sides of a tank that ar not for locking threw, ar insulated well

And as he has to cool afair bit, saving a $ on the cooling, as well as saving the chiller by constantly cicking in would not be to bad
Thanks for that! I think in general there is some awesome stuff up there, worth checking out.

As for the box insulated with foam -- I think that is a fantastic idea and I might look into doing that. Initially I wanted it to be nice and slick with the acrylic, but the insulation may be considerably more practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcreep View Post
Do your homework on this. I think you may need permits from DFO for collection of jellies. I know of someone else that did this and they were required.
I did call DFO, and my general experience with them is along the lines of "What, jellies? Uhh.. I have no idea" It could be the people who I have talked to so far. As far as I know, besides the Discovery Center in Sidney, I would be the only person on the island looking at collecting jellies in the Victoria area. I think jellies are low on the radar when it comes to the DFO, they have bigger fish to fry so to speak.

I think that we may use this PK for raising clowns in the short term -- and I think it would be ideal for that type of application.