Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-16-2013, 01:33 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
I guess it would depend on whether a new pump is required and how long a person plans to use the pump to see if there is any actual savings. 115w at 0.089 cents works out to $7.36/month. The price I found online for the DC2640 pump was $299 (not sure what you are selling them for) so 3.5 years to break even. Maybe pumps will be more efficient in 3-4 years time as well. If a new pump is required then DC is the way to go for sure, just to replace an existing pump to save money a buyer should do the math first to see if they are satisfied with the possible results. How the pump is being used will also effect the outcome, I'm calculating at 100% 24hrs a day but if a person doesn't require 100% the speed control on the DC unit can be dialed down to adjust flow as compared to an AC pump that runs at 100% all the time and uses a valve to control flow. This would further increase the power savings with a DC pump.

we sell them for 279.00(i believe anyways, im not at work right now ) i agree switching for the upgrade just to save quick money isnt a good financial purchase but there are other benefits as well though when comparing to some larger ac pumps that make these good even if its for uprading.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:35 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I run dc pumps and LEDs, my power bill is higher than ever We need better ideas.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:45 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Just checking some readings the Waveline DC10000 draws 0.75A so around 85W or so at full speed. So as advertised, fairly efficient. One of my 300W heaters however draws 2.95A so closer to 325W, I have two of these and they are on a lot so makes you wonder how much I'm saving with LEDs in terms of power.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:03 AM

e46er is on a distinguished road

Hydro bypass - only solution

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 02-16-2013, 02:05 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Let me get something out of my mind about "power savings" by switching to:

LEDs: Alright, so typically, someone replaces one MH fixture (250W) to get a Radio G1. Some calculations:

Cost of MH fixture: $150-$200
Wattage: 250W
Monthly cost of electricity @ 8hrs lighting cycle and @ 8c/kWh: 0.250W * 8hrs * 30 days * 0.08 = $4.8 (+- 10% give or take) = $5.28 max
Yearly cost of maintaining (1 bulb change + electricity) = $70 + 5.28 * 12 = $133
Yearly cost of JUST electricity = $63.36

Cost of a PROPER LED fixture (I am not any generic fixture):
Two proven LEDs that I consider worthy are Radios and Mitras (flame me all you want but those LEDs actually have future; not vertex or razor!)

Radion (G2) costs: $660
Wattage: 140W
Monthly cost of electricity @ 8hrs lighting cycle and @ 8c/kWh: $2.69 (+- 10% give or take) = $2.96
No yearly maintenance other than electricity bill = 2.96 * 12 = $35.52

Savings with Radion (G2) = $97.48/year (including bulb change once a year)
Price difference between Radion (G2) and MH = $460

So to have a "gain with LED", you will have to use it for atleast, 460/97.48 = 4.7 years before you start profiting with Radion (G2).

I am not going to do the calculations for the Mitras (possibly costs around $1200 and with most output so possibly the years will almost be DOUBLE!).

So, instead of putting my conclusion, I would like to ask, suppose you buy a LED fixture today, would you be using it for, say, 5 years?

2. DC pumps: These are clearly very efficient stuffs since only DC can offer variable speed motors with low power consumption (war of current is coming back I tell ya! ). But once again, the cost-saving benefit should be done. I am not very familiar with pumps and so I am leaving it over here (I don't have the data on prices and how long they are in running mode, etc).

If you ask me why would I get LEDs and DC pumps (when financially permitted), I would say its because of:
1. Technology
2. Versatility
3. Trend ()

Last but not the least; I used to get flamed by lines like "don't cheap out in this hobby" and "leave this hobby if you can't afford a $50 refractometer" but now-a-days, I see people buying $700 LEDs to save like $100 a year! And I used to get flamed; cruel world

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 02-16-2013, 02:28 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

[quote=mrhasan;793618]

(Quote)

If you ask me why would I get LEDs and DC pumps (when financially permitted), I would say its because of:
1. Technology
2. Versatility
3. Trend (

(End of quote)

But most importantly, the environment.

Last edited by naesco; 02-16-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:41 AM

Baldy is on a distinguished road

Comparing average mh to a radion isn't exactly a fair comparison. My DIY fixture cost 750 for my 75g. I would need at least 2 radions to equal it in output. 750 vs 1360 makes the time to recover the investment less. Radions, sols, mitras, they're all overpriced compared to what you can do yourself.

75g reef w/ 20g sump, 100lbs LR, Tunze 9006 skimmer, 3 part dosing, DIY 66 LED fixture, Reefleeper Lite
LED build here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/29498...h-mount-build/
Old 02-16-2013, 03:46 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

+1, if you love the environment own a reef tank!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:48 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Comparing average mh to a radion isn't exactly a fair comparison. My DIY fixture cost 750 for my 75g. I would need at least 2 radions to equal it in output. 750 vs 1360 makes the time to recover the investment less. Radions, sols, mitras, they're all overpriced compared to what you can do yourself.
not really , if you were to add half the things the radions or ghl's can do your diy fixture would cost some more im sure.

maybe its me but i find the bluetooth and wireless for my radion to vortech quite nice and handy

out of curiosity how do you control your leds?

light times, spectrum changes, color blending,power off etc.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:55 AM

Baldy is on a distinguished road

I could see the vortech to radion for current control, but I've got a sunrise sunset controller on mine, and things like.storm mode and such, is it really worth it? You can use lighting controllers on units like apex and program powerheads to do similar. Mind you, I haven't played with a vortech yet so I might not know what I'm missing yet

75g reef w/ 20g sump, 100lbs LR, Tunze 9006 skimmer, 3 part dosing, DIY 66 LED fixture, Reefleeper Lite
LED build here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/29498...h-mount-build/